100+ Dolphins Boiled to Death in Lake

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This just don’t sound right. A big lake raised 9 degrees and hit 102 and boiled these dolphins.

• Lake Tefé in Brazil reached record high temperatures last week amid severe droughts in the area.

• The water in the lake reached over 102 degrees Fahrenheit, or nearly 39 degrees Celsius.

• Over 100 dolphins have been died, likely because of the heat, researchers say.
A lake in Brazil reached over 102 degrees Fahrenheit last week, and roughly 125 dead river dolphins have been recovered by researchers or have washed ashore.

The main party leading the investigation of their deaths, the Mamirauá Institute for Sustainable Development, said that the water is about nine degrees higher than normal, according to the New York Times. Researchers at the institute are investigating multiple potential causes of the deaths, including diseases or pollution, but think the water temperature is the most probable cause, per the Times.

"You see the water covered with carcasses," said Dr. Miriam Marmontel, one of the institute's researchers, to the Times.

Marmontel also told the Times the lake turned into a kind of "soup" because of how hot the water became.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/photos-capture-carnage-left-behind-013250863.html

Is there a volcano bout to blow or something else?

Last edited:
<LikeReally5>

Dolphins.... in a lake.

The fresh (non-salt) water would have killed them far before the hot-tub temperatures this 'lake' supposedly had, somehow.

They are river dolphins

Not true sir.
Brazil has river dolphins that are always in the amazon river.

OIP.e6TD7ks_3k3gR2ZgbUDP_gHaHb

I am ____ years old and just learned these exist.

102 degree water in a lake??
Ok assuming the surface temps were that high, only a few feet down it’s much cooler.

To get temps high enough deeper in the water column the water would have to be very shallow and or unnatural water heating causes.

The shallow lake i live on gets very hot in the shallows in the summer. But a couple feet down it’s much much cooler.

Extreme draught was. Also mentioned , how shallow did the water get. We talking dolphins barley wet getting sunburnt here??

<LikeReally5>

Dolphins.... in a lake.

The fresh (non-salt) water would have killed them far before the hot-tub temperatures this 'lake' supposedly had, somehow.

Dude you cracked me up.

I saw river dolphins in the mekong river once and when I came back home from my trip, one of my friends argued with me that dolphins only live in the ocean and that I didn't see anything of the sort. I told her I did. I also took videos. She said that they must've put them there for the tourists. I couldn't believe that someone would say something so stupid. She would be the kind of person who would "save" a tortoise by throwing it in a lake.

Just fyi, there are several species of fresh water dolphin all over the world.

Last edited:
Pfffft River dolphins...

What's next? River horses? River otters? River Phoenix?

When I first saw pics of hammerhead worms on social media, I thought it was made up but then I saw one in real life. There's all sorts of crazy creatures out there.

Back