10 - 8's are a joke

The UFC commentary team should have a judging expert on standby to give a quick analysis and score between rounds. Boxing has done this for a long time. And major team sports use rules experts to give analysis during in-game scenarios. There's no reason the UFC couldn't do something similar.

As a broader point, MMA's adoption of the 10-point must system was asinine from the start. That scoring system was designed for boxing matches between 10 and 15 rounds. It makes zero sense for 3 or 5 round fights. And while the scoring system is a problem, the bigger issue is incompetent/corrupt judges. Without accountability and transparency, it doesn't actually matter what scoring system is used. Boxing has been dealing with this same issue forever.

The only thing that's a joke is how they score MMA fights in general. They should incorporate more 10-8s if anything. Idk why they want to be like boxing so bad. Boxing has 10 or 12 rounds to tell the story of a fight. When its only 3 rounds it makes it ridiculously hard to be accurate.
^^^^^^^^This guy gets it.

Imagine getting a 10-8 in the first round, then losing the next 2 rounds and still get a draw.

In the past nobody scored 10:8 round.
Now, they are giving them away like cookies

They should just accept that Pride had the best scoring criteria and move away from the boxing 10-point-must. It's not boxing, doesn't work that way. You can score a knockdown and get mangled on the ground. Score the fight as a whole.

The UFC commentary team should have a judging expert on standby to give a quick analysis and score between rounds. Boxing has done this for a long time. And major team sports use rules experts to give analysis during in-game scenarios. There's no reason the UFC couldn't do something similar.

As a broader point, MMA's adoption of the 10-point must system was asinine from the start. That scoring system was designed for boxing matches between 10 and 15 rounds. It makes zero sense for 3 or 5 round fights. And while the scoring system is a problem, the bigger issue is incompetent/corrupt judges. Without accountability and transparency, it doesn't actually matter what scoring system is used. Boxing has been dealing with this same issue forever.

Honestly I think MMA should probably go with open scoring, I can kind of see why they don't do it with boxing as with so many rounds the potential for one fighter to have an insumountable lead for a long time might take the drama out of a fight but in MMA with a maximum 5 rounds and 10-8's thats much less likely.

The idea the fighter winning would play ti safe and make for boring fights I don't agree with. In the current situation I think we already have lots of fighters who "think" there winning and play it safe, quite often both fighters in the same fight think there winning. Open scoring would I think open the eyes of more fighters who are losing that they are and force them to try and do something about it.

10-8's should be awarded for any fighter that contributes significant damage in a fight, they state what it takes to award a 10-8 but they don't follow their own rules and criteria. Any time a round is dangerously close to being stopped should be awarded a 10-8 but it never does, 10-7's are basically impossible, we've seen rounds where a fighter has been brutally beaten for nearly 5 minutes and a 10-7 still wasn't awarded.

They should just accept that Pride had the best scoring criteria and move away from the boxing 10-point-must. It's not boxing, doesn't work that way. You can score a knockdown and get mangled on the ground. Score the fight as a whole.
Agreed, I think Hendo said it best.

Didn't they revise the scoring slightly to make a 10-8 more easy to achieve? Maybe certain commissions? Or am I just imagining things?
Yeah one day I woke up persuaded that brass knuckles were just made legal, then it turned out that I'd just made a funny dream.

unless its in Florida where knockdowns count as 10-8

Shouldn't a 10-8 round be a round that had a knockdown or could have been stopped?

Shale once said a 10-8 is the judges petition to say the fight should have been stopped. Now obviously Shale is talking through is ass all the time but isn't there some truth to that?

Exactly. The commentary was saying Usman Colby round 2 should be 10-8, wtf??

10-8 should be rounds where the fighter is totally dominated, Dana White even said that himself.

He's wrong.

A 10-8 should not have to be a round where "I can't believe he survived that". Because drawn rounds are rarer than unicorn flippers it means 98% of rounds are scored exactly the same.

It should be a fight not effectively a best of three rounds.

Lyoto Shogun 1 is a classic example.
3 close rounds to lyoto > 2 huge rounds for Shogun.
The slight tweaks don't fix that.

Hard to expect judges to score right when even half the Sherdoggers have a shitty view on proper scoring. In their minds a close round tough to score should be 10:9 and close round where the other fighter got dropped and almost finished should also be 10:9. But it's a "clear" 10:9 as opposed to the other close 10:9, right Sherdoggers?

Get the fuck outta here.

Sick of hearing "that could be a 10-8" by the commentary. It never is.
It's so hard to get a 10-8 that by the time you get one you've essentially won the fight anyway.

It would be so easy to implement, if you get 2 knockdowns in a round or deal double the damage/output of your opponent that should be a 10-8.

Either make 10-8 rounds achievable or just get rid of them.
How can you gauge “double the damage”, the fighters would need health bars at the top of the screen for that and i know UFC isn’t willing to pay for that type of stuff.

I agree, commentators shouldn't be talking about how they're scoring the fight, it's above their pay grade.

We watch the fight for the entertainment, not about how they score the fights or how a girls hips reminds them of a hoola hoop ffs.
Don't act like these judges are some highly wrinkled brain science bitches. MMA judges for the most part, is incompetent.

10-10 and 10-9,5 would be way more usefull imo.

There's way more times where a round is a toss up or has a slight edge to someone than a round where someone gets destroyed enought to get a 10-8

Adding up strikes and takedowns and all this shit is retarded. And the 10 pt must system is horrible for scoring as is round by round for mma. The fight should be judged as an entirety, by a panel of 10 judges. Or just get rid of judges and make it a must finish scenario.

Shouldn't a 10-8 round be a round that had a knockdown or could have been stopped?

Shale once said a 10-8 is the judges petition to say the fight should have been stopped. Now obviously Shale is talking through is ass all the time but isn't there some truth to that?

I would say a 10-8 should be either a round were a fighter had a good near finish or a round he's really dominant in, the latter say if he massively outlands someone or has dominant(so mount or their back) position a good deal of the time. Maybe if one fighter is getting the best of a round but then the other gets a near finish that should only be 10-9.

Two different near finishes or a round thats but very dominant and has a near finish should be 10-7.

While we're at it, why even use a 10 point system?
You get a point if you win the round, 2 points if you dominate, 3 if you almost finish.
Have open scoring as well. A wining fighter won't be able to "play it safe" because the losing one should be going for broke.

It is a joke. 10-10s should be given more freely too. I hate this idea that there’s gotta be a winner, so let’s flip a coin to decide who won an even round.
I think Rock-paper-scissors between the fighters would be a fairer alternative , alex the kidd style

Reactions: JSN
Back