10 - 8's are a joke

Or we could have a different scoring system. I really don't feel like a 10 point must system is meant for 3-5 rounders.
What would you suggest? I think the old scoring system was better and took a little bit more human error out of things.

What would you suggest? I think the old scoring system was better and took a little bit more human error out of things.
I haven't really put enough thought into it tbh.
The problem is so much is subjective.
Say you judge the fight as a whole... how do you gauge gas tanks, concussive damage and filter that in with fight stats, rounds, impact and aggression?
Right now you can have 2 rounds basically a draw and 1 round dominant and the guy w 2 drawed rounds can win cuz it might just be 2 10-9's and a 9-10.

If we scored fights the way I would like to then Usman/Colby 2 would be 49-48 Usman

2 rounds for Kamaru
1 for Colby
2 draws

but that’s not perfect either. I think rounds that are that close should be 10-10s and a lot of people don’t agree.

Sick of hearing "that could be a 10-8" by the commentary. It never is.
It's so hard to get a 10-8 that by the time you get one you've essentially won the fight anyway.

It would be so easy to implement, if you get 2 knockdowns in a round or deal double the damage/output of your opponent that should be a 10-8.

Either make 10-8 rounds achievable or just get rid of them.
It's that way by design, who's convenience is it and follow the paper.

It would be so easy to implement, if you get 2 knockdowns in a round or deal double the damage/output of your opponent that should be a 10-8.
It's pretty much already implemented in the rules. Judges don't follow the rules closely.

From a statistical point of view, the more scoring distinctions the better, assuming you can maintain quality control and consistent standards over time across different judges.

That might be more easily accomplished with two more judges than trying to chop up more scoring distinctions (either officially or unofficially) within a single judge.

Sick of hearing "that could be a 10-8" by the commentary. It never is.
It's so hard to get a 10-8 that by the time you get one you've essentially won the fight anyway.

The problem with trying to copy boxing with the knockdown rule is pretty obvious - there's no official ruling of knockdowns in MMA like there are in boxing. In boxing you have a referee determining if something was a knockdown and implementing a standing 8 count.

MMA action can be fast and we see a lot of slips and trips that look like knockdowns. We have a close fight, one guy is winning a round but slips when blocking a punch and the judges think it's a knockdown, suddenly he unjustly goes from winning a 10-9 round to losing a 10-8 round.

Two knock-downs should never automatically give a 10-8. Some fighters get knocked down (or taken down) but are immediately back on their feet with no diminished result.

Nonetheless, the current ten point scoring system is terrible for a complex sport like MMA. There should be a higher point range for each round. And certain events should be scored as minimum set amounts or higher

KD - fighter in trouble
KD - fighter not hurt
TD - no control occurred
TD - control occurred for minimum time period
submission attempt - failed
submission attempt - fighter in trouble for a time period
Significant Strike count
Control in cage
violations - deductions (fence grab, groin strike, eye poke)
etc etc etc.

From MMA junkie article:

According to the unified rules that D’Amato and other judges rely on, a 10-8 score “does not require a fighter to dominate their opponent for 5 minutes of a round.” A 10-8 score should be awarded if “one fighter has dominated the action of the round, had duration of the domination and also impacted their opponent with either effective strikes or effective grappling maneuvers that have diminished the abilities of their opponent.” A 10-8 score should be considered if “a fighter IMPACTS their opponent significantly in a round even though they do not dominate the action.”

This is really broad, think it leaves a lot to interpretation..

Doesn't judging in every sport suck though?

Not a Khabib fan, but he should have more 10-8 rounds for himself then.
<Neil01>

Back