10 - 8's are a joke

I think there is a much bigger issue of not issuing enough 10-10 rounds. Too may controversial decisions on razor close fights that should just be labeled draw/majority draw

I would say a 10-8 should be either a round were a fighter had a good near finish or a round he's really dominant in, the latter say if he massively outlands someone or has dominant(so mount or their back) position a good deal of the time. Maybe if one fighter is getting the best of a round but then the other gets a near finish that should only be 10-9.

Two different near finishes or a round thats but very dominant and has a near finish should be 10-7.
this gets too complicated.
it's binary most of the time, i.e. win or lose, period.
in special cases where a fight is almost stopped, then a 10-8.
I respectfully must tell you that I think you are overcomplicating the living shit out of it.

this gets too complicated.
it's binary most of the time, i.e. win or lose, period.
in special cases where a fight is almost stopped, then a 10-8.
I respectfully must tell you that I think you are overcomplicating the living shit out of it.

I don't think you can really follow the boxing "knockdown = 10-8" for MMA really, one one thing you don't have as clear indicator as a knockdown for a near finish and for another the rounds are significantly longer.

If one fighter dominates a round and then gets dropped in the last 10 seconds should he lose the round 10-8?

Ultimately MMA is always going to be more complex with judges having to make judgement calls.

Exactly. The commentary was saying Usman Colby round 2 should be 10-8, wtf??

10-8 should be rounds where the fighter is totally dominated, Dana White even said that himself.
It should have been, dropped twice and on the verge of being stopped, that's a 10-8

I think it's funny people bash the judging, but look at how many on here disagree with scores. We have the advantage of multiple cameras, slow mo, etc etc. There are some certainly some headscratching scores, but truly bad scores are not all that common. I don't know why people would say commentators shouldn't comment on scores. Most of them eat, breathe, and sleep MMA
I think the biggest problem is the close rounds. A fighter can be pretty dominated but still get a 10-9 and another round can be razor thin with the same score. Maybe goto a half point system. Give out 9.5s and 8.5s.

All we can do is guess as to what the judges are seeing and how they are perceiving what's happening. Any other sport you can just look at the scoreboard and it's easy to follow along but in MMA all we have is rampant speculation. They should give us the scores after every round and remove any doubt as to what's happening.

Khabib (and his style) says otherwise. Holding someone down from the start and dealing out damage (gnp) the entire round is CERTAINLY grounds for a 10-8.

Edgar/Maynard rd-1 is a great example of a standup 10-8

Competent judges get it and from what I've seen a TRUE 10-8 is usually scored correct. (Note "USUALLY")

Which other fight rounds are you considering "obvious" 10-8's that weren't scored correctly???
According to the rules wouldnt one clean punch mean the other guy won the round? Since grappling means nothing unless round is equal in the stand up?

The entire scoring system is a joke. around by round scoring isn’t effective in a 3 round sport.

Judges don’t like giving 10-8’s because if you get one in a 3 round fight, the best case scenario for the fighter who gets the “8” is a draw.

Biggest issue with judging is that razor close toss up rounds are scored the same as clear cut rounds.

Example:
Round 1 - Fighter A wins clearly. 10-9
Round 2 - razor close. Commentators say "That's too close to call". But all refs just randomly make up their minds and all three end up giving it 10-9 Fighter B.

Now they are tied and it's super unfair. One 10-9 should've been worth more than the other.

10-8 isn't the solution. It's too big of a jump to essentially double the score.

I'd like something like HALF point / "gold star point" rule.
When someone wins a round very clearly - they get a "gold star" - which normally isn't used but in the case of a razor close round - the guy with the "gold star" wins it.
Or if the fight ends up being a tie - the guy with the gold star is the winner.

Last edited:
The entire scoring system is a joke. around by round scoring isn’t effective in a 3 round sport.

Judges don’t like giving 10-8’s because if you get one in a 3 round fight, the best case scenario for the fighter who gets the “8” is a draw.
Not necessarily. The other fighter could get a 10-8 round also. But regardless, If fighter-A beats the dogshit out of fighter-B for one round and gets a 10-8; but fighter-A tires himself out and gets outpointed for the next two rounds, it SHOULD be a draw.

Honestly I think MMA should probably go with open scoring, I can kind of see why they don't do it with boxing as with so many rounds the potential for one fighter to have an insumountable lead for a long time might take the drama out of a fight but in MMA with a maximum 5 rounds and 10-8's thats much less likely.

The idea the fighter winning would play ti safe and make for boring fights I don't agree with. In the current situation I think we already have lots of fighters who "think" there winning and play it safe, quite often both fighters in the same fight think there winning. Open scoring would I think open the eyes of more fighters who are losing that they are and force them to try and do something about it.
I agree with most of what you're saying. It's entirely plausible that open scoring would light a fire under the losing fighter and create more action later in the fight. My biggest problem with open scoring is that it decreases the drama of announcing the winner. It might seem small, but that bit of drama and tension at the end of the fight has been a staple of combat sports for more than a century.

I agree with most of what you're saying. It's entirely plausible that open scoring would light a fire under the losing fighter and create more action later in the fight. My biggest problem with open scoring is that it decreases the drama of announcing the winner. It might seem small, but that bit of drama and tension at the end of the fight has been a staple of combat sports for more than a century.

Thats the main loss I'd agree but you would still have the last round to accounce after the fight which pretty often would potentially deside the outcome

Biggest issue with judging is that razor close toss up rounds are scored the same as clear cut rounds.

Example:
Round 1 - Fighter A wins clearly. 10-9
Round 2 - razor close. Commentators say "That's too close to call". But all refs just randomly make up their minds and all three end up giving it 10-9 Fighter B.

Now they are tied and it's super unfair. One 10-9 should've been worth more than the other.

10-8 isn't the solution. It's too big of a jump to essentially double the score.

I'd like something like HALF point / "gold star point" rule.
When someone wins a round very clearly - they get a "gold star" - which normally isn't used but in the case of a razor close round - the guy with the "gold star" wins it.
Or if the fight ends up being a tie - the guy with the gold star is the winner.

That's sort of how judo works. You have full points (instant win), half points (which become a full point and therefore a win if you get two), and minor points, which serve no purpose except tiebreaking if everything else is equal.

The tricky thing with MMA, though, is that it's neither a sport where individual actions are scored (like wrestling), nor a sport that's lengthy enough to justify a 10-point system (like boxing). When you've got 12 rounds to work with, not only is an individual 10-9 (or even 10-8, 10-7) round not significant enough to win or lose the fight for you, but you can also deduct points for knockdowns (which would indicate a more dominant round), and you can be freer with your point deductions for fouls.

With MMA, obviously the current scoring system has worked *well enough*, but it would be nice if there was something better.

That's sort of how judo works. You have full points (instant win), half points (which become a full point and therefore a win if you get two), and minor points, which serve no purpose except tiebreaking if everything else is equal.
Cool, did not think of that.

Watched some judo ages ago and knew about ippon being a full point and waza-something being a half point but never heard about these minor points.

I'll start refering to this method of scoring as judo scoring rather than my weird haphazard "gold star" (reference to middle school bonus grading) metaphor :)

Feels like some might object to the idea of a half point in MMA - but I would think that most people wouldn't have a problem with a minor point.

I think they should give out more 10-8s to more accurately reflect what really happened. If fighter A outlands fighter B 40-36 in significant strikes(barely squeaking by) in rd 1 & rd 3, they win both rds 10-9 but fighter B outlands fighter A in rd 2 40-20 (should be a 10-8), it still usually only counts as a 10-9 rd. End result is fighter A squeaks out 29-28, but reality is fight is more like a draw IMO

abandon the 10-point-must system in mma. it doesn’t work. go back to “paid rules” lol

Exactly. The commentary was saying Usman Colby round 2 should be 10-8, wtf??

10-8 should be rounds where the fighter is totally dominated, Dana White even said that himself.
Where are you getting this 'should' shit? In boxing, where the 10 point must was taken from, generally speaking you lose a point for getting knocked down. So getting knocked down in a round is almost a guaranteed 10-8.

It’s funny some complain about 10-8s being too easy now, but I remember people hated it when they were near impossible to get before.

Back