⚰ Kelvin Gastelum: Darren Till is Irrelevant, Fighting Only for Statement (Highlight Reel GIF)

In what round does this fight end?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“At first thought, I was like, ‘I don’t know if it’s worth it for me to accept this kind of fight because he is coming off a two-fight losing streak,'” Gastelum told MMA Junkie. “I feel like I’m still in title contention, and I feel like I should get one of those top guys. But I want to fight in Madison Square Garden.”

. . .

“I put a lot of thought on who my opponent is and why I’m fighting him, and will it get me to the title shot – will it get me closer to where I want to go,” Gastelum said. “I definitely asked those questions, and none of them applied to Darren Till. I don’t think if I win – it’s not going to get me a title shot. It’s not getting me closer. But I just think I need to go out there and make a statement against a guy like Darren Till because of my last performance. I want to go out there, I want to show that I’m still hungry, I’m still in contention, and I’m still one of the best guys around at this weight class.”

“It’s a little scary [at MW],” Gastelum said. “The guys are a little bit bigger, they hit a little harder, but they are a little slower. It’s a little scary. I don’t think it’ll be an easy transition for him. I think he’s going to have trouble with these bigger guys and competing at this weight class, to be honest. He hasn’t fought guys this big, I don’t think. I’ve been fighting middleweights my entire career. I went down to welterweight for a little stint, but then I went back up.”

“I’m expecting a short fight,” Gastelum said. “I’m not trying to go and have another war. I’m going to work hard to try so I can be able to put this guy away.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/09/kelvin-gastelum-hesitant-darren-till-fight-ufc-244-title-shot

Last edited:
I’m expecting a short fight too.

I’m expecting exactly what Kelvin is expecting.

While Kelvin has smooth hands, he'd be smart not to underestimate anyone at this level.

I dont know about this one - If Kelvin shows up in context to the way hes talking about Till ( even though hes saying otherwise), he'll lose. Heres the thing - because of Tills last 2, I'm a little in the dark exactly where hes at. However if you still consider Darren a talented fighter that could evolve a great deal ( especially because of last 2), this becomes a dangerous situation for Kelvin as both were/are welters and now at 185 but Till the bigger guy and with bigger reach .
Kelvin will be favored no doubt but hmmm, I cant call this one .

I think Gas handspeed and boxing is way ahead of Till's. Till gets stopped in the first or second, I picked second but it could go either way.

I think this was a bad matchup to make for Till coming off two KO losses.

Everyone’s saying that Till will get KOed which seems the obvious scenario because of the past. I think I’ll go against the grain with this one,

I loke Kelvin but I’d really like to see Till do well in this. Maybe just losing a close decision would be enough to set his career on the ups again.. he certainly needs to make a statement as well.

I think Till misses weight, gets submitted in round 1, then moves to LHW ala Anthony Johnson

While Kelvin has smooth hands, he'd be smart not to underestimate anyone at this level.

I think people and even Kelvin may be sleeping on Till. Remember Kelvin is the same guy who had troubles with Neil and lost to him.

I think it will take 2 rounds for Kelvin to break him down and finish him. But yeah he is going to whoop Darren’s ass

Kelvin probably wins this one regardless, but the way he neglects his wrestling these days bothers me. I don't think he'll ever be top dog just trying to box everyone

Back