“You’re not a true champion unless you defend your belt”—does this rule apply to double champions?

Connie never defended.

BJ, and especially Georges, defended the Hel out of the LW and WW belts.

If that's your criteria, then they definitely are "true" champions.

If you go more harsh and say BJ didn't defend the WW belt and Georges didn't defend the MW belt, so they aren't "true" double champions, then that would be fair if that's your criteria.

The only one I don't consider a real double Champion is Connie.

He never defended and went well past the point to where he was supposed to be stripped.

Politics was the only reason he was allowed to keep the second belt.

I was kidding of course : )
by the true champ definition , Conor is everything but the true champ.
He is something like veni,vidi,vici ,cessi Champ ; )
More like:
Veni, Vidi, et mollia, non vici instar canis accurrit.

Edited for clarity. If you want to see the typos, check out the crybaby below.

Last edited:
Your a champ when you beat the champ. If you already are one then move up and beat the champ your the shit.

Defending a title for a long time is absolutely admirable but does not carry as much weight in my eyes as moving up a division and beating that champion.

Weight classes matter. Most fighters will never do it.

BJ Penn, GSP, Conor Mcgregor

All three of these men opted to vacate their second belt without defending it. Not only was their no title defenses, none of them even ATTEMPTED to defend.

Randy Couture rightfully attempted a defense. The other 3 were paper double champs in my opinion. The Natural Couture is the only man who has a true claim to being a champ in two weight classes.

Thoughts?

dc defended both belts in 2018

Smashed Aldo after working his way to a TS - Conor was the true FW champ until he chose not to fight at 145 anymore.
Worked his way to a ts? Lol

He never had a fight scheduled against Mendes nor Edgar before his title shot. Plus he earned it beating Siver. Cherry picking at its finest.

But, Conor never defended either belt tho ?
I consider the first belt defended just because the next belt up should be conceivably harder to win than defend, but clearly not the second...

Yes and no. If you win the belt technically you are champ.

But champion is supposed to signify being the best in the division. At no point was gsp the best middleweight. Beating Whitaker, Romero, Rockhold ect would have been more impressive than besting bisping.

Same for conor. Eddie was never the best. Even conor said he thought Eddie was lucky in his fight against rda. Eddie also had split decisions over Pettis and Gilbert, both of which did more damage than Eddie and he squeezed by via wall n stall.

Neither conor or gsp were the best in two divisions at the same time. They benefited from circumstance to win a belt they could maintain.

Dc might be the best at two weight classes, not including Jones at lhw.

@Njmma209
200.gif

"You're not a true champion until you defend" is literally one of the stupidest adages in combat sports.

If you win your way to the top and then beat the champion, you're the true champion. Imagine Anderson Silva did what he did to Rich Franklin then never defended. He'd still have been the true champ. Jones does what he did to Shogun, then goes to jail for running down pedestrians. He would still have been the true champion. A real life example: Conor won his way to a TS at FW then flatlined Aldo - he was still the true champ.

It's always better for a fighter to beat good challengers in order to cement themselves as the best, but it isn't a criterion for becoming champ.
This. It's just something people say to discredit a fighter they don't like. I know some fighters go by this, but for the keyboard warriors here to say this is just hilarious.

It does. Even more so.
Why take part in a contest you have no intention of honoring.
On the other hand ... Money.

nobody has technically been a real double champ. IMO you have to win a belt in another weight class then go back to the previous weight class and defend it consecutively

Of course it applies. It applies double - and I'm not even joking there. Being a double champ means that the person won the title and then LEFT THE DIVISION rather than defend it. It's one thing if you clear out the division and then move up - think Silva taking a few 205 fights in between title defenses - but neither double champ has done that so far, and Cormier didn't even beat the previous LHW belt holder before leaving.

Getting the belt just means you were in the right place at the right time. KEEPING it - now that's the trick.

While you are the true champ, losing it by not willing to defend is pretty huge.

Also losing it to the person that deserved the shot before you makes you question it.

This rule is stupid you certainly are the real champ even if you lose it after you win it.

I think that's bullshit, when you win a title in something you're always gonna be considered a champion despite a successful defense. You go down in history as a champion.

Your entire schtick is Latin based and you can't even get it right?

@IngaVovchanchyn you know this can?
Since you care so much, I typed it on my phone, it auto corrected, I thought I deleted it and hit post. Didn’t bother re-checking. I'll edit it for clarity but have no problems with owning up.
Do you always cry this much?

what if the champion pulls out so you win the inteirm title, then beat the champion does that make you champion?

Back