“You’re not a true champion unless you defend your belt”—does this rule apply to double champions?

I get why people say it but honestly you're a champ when you win the belt.

I don't even get why people say it, is it because it sounds cool?

The reigning champ is usually the toughest guy in the division (some exceptions) beating the champ is never easy. It's just that after you've seen conor knock out aldo in 13 seconds or DC knock out stipe in the clinch you start taking it for granted.

Who honestly thought before those fights it would be an easy task to dethrone the champs. And beating the champ in 2 divisions, thats a crazy achievement.

Oh shit, njmma got banned? What for?

Worked his way to a ts? Lol

He never had a fight scheduled against Mendes nor Edgar before his title shot. Plus he earned it beating Siver. Cherry picking at its finest.
1) Even prior to fighting Mendes, Conor had the hardest road to a title shot of any prior FW challenger barring Lamas.
2) Conor had the title shot locked up after beating Poirier. Dana said he would be next. He fought Siver as he had to wait and wanted to headline in Boston. Poirier was the same man KZ beat to earn his title shot and was back on a three win streak when Conor TKO’d him.

Not cherry picking. It’s more of a sign of the development of FW which at the time was not so deep. They needed contenders.

It doesn't apply period. If you win a championship belt you are a champion in the record books forever.

What finally got him? Or was it just the accumulation of over the top Jones nuthugging?

Why he get banned?

For going over the top I guess.

What I find obtuse is that when GSP gets trolled posters get carded and banned.

People can shit on Fedor, Jones, Anderson, Aldo and any other fighter they please and hardly ever get carded.

Njmma went over the top yeah but there is a bunch of posters out there who habitually do far worse shit than what that young lad did, he was just having some fun at the end of the day.

I disagree. The only paper champs are anyone who held an interim title and Tyron Woodley.

Sorry but you sound dumb as fuck.
A Paper Champion is a boxing champion who is considered to be a false champion. Reasons for being called a Paper Champion are not defeating the former champion, not fighting challenging opponents or fighting very little.

woodley beat everyone he fought

BJ Penn, GSP, Conor Mcgregor

All three of these men opted to vacate their second belt without defending it. Not only was their no title defenses, none of them even ATTEMPTED to defend.

Randy Couture rightfully attempted a defense. The other 3 were paper double champs in my opinion. The Natural Couture is the only man who has a true claim to being a champ in two weight classes.

Thoughts?

If you're going up in weight... or down in weight.... *looks at Dillashaw* for another belt... you should vacate the belt you currently hold BEFORE the fight for the other belt. You shouldn't be able to say "Oh, I lost. WHATEVA! I'M STILL THE CHAMP!" Put something on the line. The other guy is.

If you want to collect belts, go to Wal-Mart. Defend or fuck off.

Winning two titles in two weight classes is a very impressive feat, hence why so few champions have accomplished it.

Sucks that ppl try to discredit them for transcending the limitations of a singlular weight class.

Tf happened to njmma? Come back bro

For going over the top I guess.

What I find obtuse is that when GSP gets trolled posters get carded and banned.

People can shit on Fedor, Jones, Anderson, Aldo and any other fighter they please and hardly ever get carded.

Njmma went over the top yeah but there is a bunch of posters out there who habitually do far worse shit than what that young lad did, he was just having some fun at the end of the day.
Yeah I thought he was pretty funny

Since you care so much, I typed it on my phone, it auto corrected, I thought I deleted it and hit post. Didn’t bother re-checking. I'll edit it for clarity but have no problems with owning up.
Do you always cry this much?

Your sig is wrong too.

Are you always wrong this much champ?

Your sig is wrong too.

Are you always wrong this much champ?
Let's agree to disagree. You are not an unreasonable poster. Two keyboard tough guys going at it is pointless and only makes us both look worse.

"rule"
you are champion when you win the belt.. you are defending champion when you defend

Smashed Aldo after working his way to a TS - Conor was the true FW champ until he chose not to fight at 145 anymore.
bro he is top 5 LW, but he has tapped out twice recently, goat he is not

If you beat the champ, you're the champion.
But there's

But of course, great champions are the ones that defended their titles, or at least fought consistently in the division.
Penn isn't remembered as a great WW champ, for example.
Nor GSP as a MW champ.
Conor isn't going to be remembered as a great LW champ (unless he wins the title again)
DC, on the other hand, not only defended his title at HW, but also fought consistently in the division, being undefeated there.

ATGs are the ones that took the best of their divisions over and over and emerged victorious.
Keeping the fire going while being on top, studied by everyone, is hard.

Double champs are great accolades that add to their legacies and are great marketing tools, but they usually are an opportunity not given to everyone.
I'm sure that Aldo could have been a double champion during Edgar's reign.
As Anderson Silva during Forrest time as champ, and others like Rampage and Rashad Evans.
As Jon Jones could be HW champ right now.
TJ could beat MM in FLW
Amanda Nunes against Radamie.

That's why I don't give that much weight to double champs that don't defend.

Back