“You’re not a true champion unless you defend your belt”—does this rule apply to double champions?

BJ Penn, GSP, Conor Mcgregor

All three of these men opted to vacate their second belt without defending it. Not only was their no title defenses, none of them even ATTEMPTED to defend.

Randy Couture rightfully attempted a defense. The other 3 were paper double champs in my opinion. The Natural Couture is the only man who has a true claim to being a champ in two weight classes.

Thoughts?
No wonder you were banned

For going over the top I guess.

What I find obtuse is that when GSP gets trolled posters get carded and banned.

People can shit on Fedor, Jones, Anderson, Aldo and any other fighter they please and hardly ever get carded.

Njmma went over the top yeah but there is a bunch of posters out there who habitually do far worse shit than what that young lad did, he was just having some fun at the end of the day.
Truth is he was too real for these marks.

RIP brotha

bro he is top 5 LW, but he has tapped out twice recently, goat he is not
Did I write ANYTHING suggesting Conor is GOAT? Nope. My argument was solely that he was the legitimate 145 champ, with or without a title defence.

I get why people say it but honestly you're a champ when you win the belt.
Thats great and all, but most people forget about having easier paths and favorable matchups to get to a title shot and to be champion...

It's much easier to become champion than it is to stay champ. You can fight #11, then maybe #8, then maybe #6, then go straight to a title shot... You might have an easy path to the title shot, then match really well with the champion to win it.

But once you're champion, you technically should be defending against the #1 contender every time you fight from there on out. No more easy fights or favorable matchups. You'll need to be extremely well rounded to hold onto the belt since you're working to defend against any and everyone in the division. Eventually, there will be stylistic matchups that will test you, if you manage to hold onto the belt for that long.

Did I write ANYTHING suggesting Conor is GOAT? Nope. My argument was solely that he was the legitimate 145 champ, with or without a title defence.
So what?

JDS was the champ, but Cain was proven the better fighter. To be the true champ you have to defend the belt. To be a dominant champ you need to clean out the division.

Otherwise you're just half of Brock Lesnar

what makes champions special is defending. Especially across generation like GSP, Anderson, and Jones. MMA is an evolving sport so showing you can evolve with it and still be dominant is big. One reason Conor is kinf of a question mark now

You earn the belt but you're not yet the champ cause you haven't defended? Get the hell outta here.

I say you have the belt wrapped around your waist : you're a champion. Thats pretty damn easy to grasp.

If you twats wants to nitpick then just say : "You're not a champ that has defended his belt unless you... have defended your belt!" Happy now? You bunch of cunts.

Last edited:
Back