Crime “Words alone” are no reason to kill, Man gets 10 years for punching woman over N-word

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct me if im wrong but nobody expects to kill someone by punching them one time.

the guy should get an assualt charge and thats it.

the lady probably said "negro" as in the spanish word for "black"..

but still even if she did say ni**er, you shouldnt run your mouth if you cant back up your words.

too many people want to talk the talk but not walk the walk.
depends on prosecution. I think there was a case when an explosive youth was playing KO-game and killed some poor old man with one punch. he went down for premeditated murder. now, I dont feel any compassion for him at all, or any KO-gamers for that matter, but that was bullshit.

Crazy stuff. How drink is legal everywhere and weed isn't is crazy to me. Drink too much and you can make rash decisions that can change the lives of you and those around you forever. Smoke too much weed and you fall asleep eating a bag of cheetos.
it is much easier to keep something illegal, than making something legal and widespread illegal.

it is much easier to keep something illegal, than making something legal and widespread illegal.

Plus it's just cultural. Alcohol is what a lot of people are raised with and it's a part of life while other recreational drugs simply do not have the same cultural acceptance and so are bad for you.

Wait....seriously?

He threw one punch after being called a word meant to dehumanize him. A word that he had undoubtedly heard countless times in his life to dismiss him as subhuman trash.

Tragic all around, but 10 years for throwing one punch that would not conceivably have been predicted as killing a person....that sounds about right.

Simple question: If that were your mother, or sister, or girlfriend that he murdered, would you say the same thing?

It's a yes or no question.

correct me if im wrong but nobody expects to kill someone by punching them one time.
Hence why its second degree murder

Any reasonable person should know a single punch can potentially kill and that they are rolling the dice by assaulting someone for no reason

Ignorance has never been an excuse, why would it be here?

No offense, but your disagreement is kind of irrelevant. You didn't get far enough in the discussion for either of us to really articulate our positions or hear each others' arguments, so I'm not even sure what you disagree with me about.

I respect your opinion, and like it even tho I disagree, and having the stance you do I’m just looking to pick your brain a bit. Not going to debate whatever you say, I don’t really have a strong opinion on it.

What do you think about blacks using the word towards one another? I’m not really talking about just commonly saying it to friends, more about two specific situations.

1- in violent situation like the ones you described happening to you and your family. Every video of black on black violence involves the word being thrown around ad nauseum. A buddy of mine was murdered outside of a club here in Hamilton about 10 years ago in one of the only acts of black on black crime I’ve been personally affected by. The word was used plenty before and after killing him (they poured beer on him and stomped him as he lay dying)

2- something I’ve heard online about the endings a vs er from blacks (and I’ve heard whites say this too but that shit is just straight racism) saying the a is a term of endearment for “good” black people while er is for blacks who are something like the equivalent of white trash.

No matter how we got here, I'm thankful we took the time to understand each other's perspective. Thanks again.

One comment on the above in particular. That's very well-said. I agree. It's ugly and dangerous shit. It gives hateful assholes a focal point to direct rage. I just dream of a world where one's race doesn't determine who can or can't say a word.

<GinJuice>
We should have the intelligence capacity to be able to do this today. Don't give the power to a ignorant asshole slinging the word with a reaction. Overcome it knowing you're better than that word. Ignoring can go a long way, it's worth it.

I respect your opinion, and like it even tho I disagree, and having the stance you do I’m just looking to pick your brain a bit. Not going to debate whatever you say, I don’t really have a strong opinion on it.

What do you think about blacks using the word towards one another? I’m not really talking about just commonly saying it to friends, more about two specific situations.

1- in violent situation like the ones you described happening to you and your family. Every video of black on black violence involves the word being thrown around ad nauseum. A buddy of mine was murdered outside of a club here in Hamilton about 10 years ago in one of the only acts of black on black crime I’ve been personally affected by. The word was used plenty before and after killing him (they poured beer on him and stomped him as he lay dying)

2- something I’ve heard online about the endings a vs er from blacks (and I’ve heard whites say this too but that shit is just straight racism) saying the a is a term of endearment for “good” black people while er is for blacks who are something like the equivalent of white trash.
All of this over words

Words

I've heard this line of reasoning a lot.

To me, they aren't the same word. Or they are different forms of the same word with different meanings. English is a complex language. Are red and read the same word? Whether and weather? What about offense (to be affronted) and offense (going on the attack)?

They have very different meanings and connotations. The idea that black people "throw the word around" really doesn't hold water. I've had a black person use the n word at me. It didn't feel all that different from having a white person use the n word at me. The threat and danger was still there.

I also have black people use the other version of the n word around me and it's not an issue because it doesn't have the same meaning. If two words have a dofferent meaning, they aren't the same word.

All of this over words

Words

I know. Even crazier, there is a an entire legal field devoted to the study and application of words. Moreover, our entire Reublic was created simply by words. Words are crazy, man.

No matter how we got here, I'm thankful we took the time to understand each other's perspective. Thanks again.

One comment on the above in particular. That's very well-said. I agree. It's ugly and dangerous shit. It gives hateful assholes a focal point to direct rage. I just dream of a world where one's race doesn't determine who can or can't say a word.

I dream of a world where one's race doesn't make them a target for violence with verbal indicators. If I get my world, I imagine you'll get yours.

P.S. The n word has never really been restricted by race. It's always been restricted by relationship to the word, just like other profane words and slurs. Because it is a race-based word, this line often gets blurry.

I dream of a world where one's race doesn't make them a target for violence with verbal indicators.

This is far less likely to happen. Differences will always be used for violent assholes to target others and race is an easily identifiable one. But it's a wonderful thought.

I know. Even crazier, there is a an entire legal field devoted to the study and application of words. Moreover, our entire Reublic was created simply by words. Words are crazy, man.
I suppose we will always have to police our words because we do not have the capacity to speak openly and honestly. So I shouldn't be surprised

It was created by blood and iron. Words don't mean shit unless you got an army. See Socrates and Jesus. Blood and iron decide what words matter. Only when Christianity got muscle did its words matter.

Last edited:
It was created by blood and iron. Words don't mean shit unless you got an army. See Socrates and Jesus. Blood and iron decide what words matter. Only when Christianity got muscle did its words matter.

And you can't form an army without words. The Declaration of Independence was signed before America had an army.

Christianty existed for a long time before it had a military. It's not like there were ten thousand dudes that got together to form an army, then after they all formed an army they said, "Hey, now that we have all this iron and blood, we should pick a religious ideology to fight for."

The words come first.

Edit: Also, you picked two terrible examples. The words of Socrates and Jesus still exist and have power. The armies that governed at their time are long dead and powerless.

Last edited:
I suppose we will always have to police our words because we do not have the capacity to speak openly and honestly. So I shouldn't be surprised

Or, we police our words because, next to blood ties, words are the most important and powerful thing in human life. Moreso, imo, than water and food and life itself. People have changed societies by giving up food and water for an articulated cause or motive. No one has changed the world by giving up what they believe in in exchange for food or water.

Who gets paid more and has more social power, famers or lawyers? One governs our food and the other governs our word use.

Last edited:
I've heard this line of reasoning a lot.

To me, they aren't the same word. Or they are different forms of the same word with different meanings. English is a complex language. Are red and read the same word? Whether and weather? What about offense (to be affronted) and offense (going on the attack)?

They have very different meanings and connotations. The idea that black people "throw the word around" really doesn't hold water. I've had a black person use the n word at me. It didn't feel all that different from having a white person use the n word at me. The threat and danger was still there.

I also have black people use the other version of the n word around me and it's not an issue because it doesn't have the same meaning. If two words have a dofferent meaning, they aren't the same word.

Thanks man. What do you think of other races using it? It feels to me like it’s more generally accepted, depending on the context, coming from an Asian or Hispanic for example. How about white people who get a pass on it from their friends to basically use it as a black guy would? Feels like they are good as long as they use it around people who have given them the green light but how do you feel about that?

I had the unfortunate luck of sitting in front of a group of 15-20 guys from Brooklyn at the Hopkins-Pavlik fight 10 years ago. They were mostly white guys but there were a few black guys, and the white guys said it as much as anyone I’ve ever heard. It didn’t bother any of the black guys with them obviously but it also didn’t bother the other groups of black people sitting around us that. I feel like I was the only one bothered by it. The drunk lil guy directly behind my dad and I treated us to a very up close freestyle about how we were bitch n words and how Hopkins was gonna knock out Pavlik. It was about as cringe worthy as anything I’ve ever seen.

Wait....seriously?

He threw one punch after being called a word meant to dehumanize him. A word that he had undoubtedly heard countless times in his life to dismiss him as subhuman trash.

Tragic all around, but 10 years for throwing one punch that would not conceivably have been predicted as killing a person....that sounds about right.

What he was called has zero excuse for his actions, that's kind of the point of this whole thread

Also interesting reaction to being called a word "that he had undoubtedly heard countless times in his life to dismiss him as subhuman trash" by acting like subhuman trash

Thanks man. What do you think of other races using it? It feels to me like it’s more generally accepted, depending on the context, coming from an Asian or Hispanic for example. How about white people who get a pass on it from their friends to basically use it as a black guy would? Feels like they are good as long as they use it around people who have given them the green light but how do you feel about that?

I had the unfortunate luck of sitting in front of a group of 15-20 guys from Brooklyn at the Hopkins-Pavlik fight 10 years ago. They were mostly white guys but there were a few black guys, and the white guys said it as much as anyone I’ve ever heard. It didn’t bother any of the black guys with them obviously but it also didn’t bother the other groups of black people sitting around us that. I feel like I was the only one bothered by it. The drunk lil guy directly behind my dad and I treated us to a very up close freestyle about how we were bitch n words and how Hopkins was gonna knock out Pavlik. It was about as cringe worthy as anything I’ve ever seen.

Again, I feel like you're asking about two different words. No one of any race should be using the actual n word unless they are trying to really hurt or intimidate someone.

But the casual n word? I mean, I assume it's whatever people are comfortable with, just like any other profanity.

Generally, I don't like it used around me, or other slurs. Recently, my best friend said it when quoting something else and I asked him to stop. He seemed a bit confused, but I just wasn't comfortable with it.

Wait....seriously?

Bullshit, i'd bet money he's already referred to himself as a "real :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:" or a "street :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:" or something along those lines over 1000 times in the last year. And I'm not exaggerating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back