“Never leave the fights to the judges” is the dumbest quote ever...

It's a metaphor for not leaving the decision to someone else. Take it into your own hands. A knock out is defnitive.

It’s not meant to imply that you should change your style or take unnecessary risks.

It’s meant to let you know that if the judges screw you (which—unless you are a star—they sooner or later will), you really don’t have anyone to blame but yourself.

So the judges are never the ones to blame? seriously?

How about if the judges CLEARLY screw you, you blame the judges? Why is that not an acceptable answer?

Last edited:
depends who u are..if u clenelo(boxing for example)u definitley don mind fight being in judges hands..

You really want to put your livelyhood into the hands of Cecil Peoples?
{<doc}

Seriously whoever came up with this stupid ass quote needs a reality check.

It’s a silly way of passing blame from the judges onto the fighters.

It basically suggests that if I’m winning the fight during the last round, then I should take more risks to finish the fight just to be sure that the judges aren’t gonna screw me over. That’s absolutely ridiculous. Why should somebody change their fighting style when they’re winning the fight just because the judges don’t know what the fuck they’re doing?

I guess I can kinda understand it a little if you’re a fighter who really loves to point-fight and keep things close then yea you’re probably gonna get screwed at some point or another. But it’s still a really stupid quote in my book and I hate how Dana White embraces it like it’s some genius idea. Get at least 5 judges to score a fight and that’ll at least help to decrease some of these god awful decisions.

im sure ross pearson wished he finished deigo. or marion reneau finished ashlee evens smith.

there been plenty of fights the judges stole wins from fighters.

How about if the judges CLEARLY screw you, you blame the judges? Why is that not an acceptable answer?

That’s like when old people hear about a girl getting raped and ask what she was wearing.
That is literally the worst possible example—only partly because it’s tasteless.

Aside from its tastelessness, the important difference is that the fighters know that the judges will have their own opinions on the fight, and they’ve agreed to those terms.

It’s just like any other sport that relies on judges—bad calls are just part of the price of admission.

Except that in Combat sports, you have the chance to take the judges out of the equation. If you can’t do that, then you have to accept the pre-established agreement.

You can’t just opt out because you don’t like the decision.

Dana says it the most. It’s a quote HE made famous iirc... He also likes to slag off judges when they shaft a favourite of his... Pretty selective is Dana

It's a great quote that's supposed to make you go out there and really give it your best shot. That's what it's about, don't go out there and be hesitant, don't be a bitch, show them what you got and a KO is always better than relying on the judges that easily can be dumb or paid off.

When judges fuck up it's totally fine to blame them but at the same time the possibility of them fucking up gives you a pretty good incentive to take matters out of their hands.

Hence the saying.. "don't leave it in the hands of the judges." You seem to contradict your own post..

It's more of an advice than blaming the fighters imo.

This quote is especially true when you're fighting Clay Guida.

It's a dumb statement because it suggests that in a close fight it's as simple as just finishing the other fighter at will - as if nobody who gets robbed in a decision would've done that, and instead purposefully let the fight go to decision.

Said by a man that never fought. Unless you count all his made up boxing accomplishments nobody has any record of..

The quote is part of the attitude of influencing fighters to go for the finish in close fights rather than chance it with the judges.

It’s part of the strategy of the ufc to encourage fighters to be more exciting.
<mma4>

Seriously whoever came up with this stupid ass quote needs a reality check.

It’s a silly way of passing blame from the judges onto the fighters.

It basically suggests that if I’m winning the fight during the last round, then I should take more risks to finish the fight just to be sure that the judges aren’t gonna screw me over. That’s absolutely ridiculous. Why should somebody change their fighting style when they’re winning the fight just because the judges don’t know what the fuck they’re doing?

I guess I can kinda understand it a little if you’re a fighter who really loves to point-fight and keep things close then yea you’re probably gonna get screwed at some point or another. But it’s still a really stupid quote in my book and I hate how Dana White embraces it like it’s some genius idea. Get at least 5 judges to score a fight and that’ll at least help to decrease some of these god awful decisions.

it means do not point fight.

not hard to understand. if you GSP fitch somebody it wont matter but dont frankie edgar point fight

Don't leave it to the judges is #1 bullshit created by Dana White.

Of course Dana White would love to see every fight as a slugfest, but its not.......This is a "sport", if judges get an obvious decision wrong...it's on the the fucking judges.

Just 1 of many reasons on why Dana White is a fucking idiot.

Back