“Never leave the fights to the judges” is the dumbest quote ever...

I agree, the judges should be held more accountable for their blatant fuck ups.

I’m saying that if someone makes a habit of point-fighting then yea that’s probably not wise. but there’s tons of fighters who go balls to the wall trying to finish fights yet they still get screwed over.

I just have a problem with people passing the buck on the fighters instead of the judges.

They said the same shit to us when I was wrestling in high school and that always got me pissed. If i’m up by 1 point at the end of the third period, I shouldn’t have to be thinking “oh geez I better shoot for another takedown in case this ref hits me with a bullshit stalling call.”

It’s like no, I shouldn’t have to take a wild risk towards the end because I have little confidence in the ref getting it right...
It's a fight, the whole thing is a risk. It's not a coin flip, if you're actually dominating, you'll get the nod but you shouldn't ever be coasting cause you think you're probably slightly ahead on the cards.

I love the quote cuz crazy stuff happens in the judges hands you can never trust them... only way to get a for sure is finishing them

I completely agree. Its says it as if saying the judges aren't reliable enough to make the correct decision.

Adalaide Byrd agree's with you TS.

So does her Ferrari that Canelo and Oscar bought her for scoring that fight 118-110.

By all means leave it the Judges. They need to eat to.

Seriously whoever came up with this stupid ass quote needs a reality check.

It’s a silly way of passing blame from the judges onto the fighters.

It basically suggests that if I’m winning the fight during the last round, then I should take more risks to finish the fight just to be sure that the judges aren’t gonna screw me over. That’s absolutely ridiculous. Why should somebody change their fighting style when they’re winning the fight just because the judges don’t know what the fuck they’re doing?

I guess I can kinda understand it a little if you’re a fighter who really loves to point-fight and keep things close then yea you’re probably gonna get screwed at some point or another. But it’s still a really stupid quote in my book and I hate how Dana White embraces it like it’s some genius idea. Get at least 5 judges to score a fight and that’ll at least help to decrease some of these god awful decisions.

The point of the quote is dont rest on your lead because you never know and if your winning dominately why not finish your opponent .. Looks better 4 you as a fighter

Because judging (especially without any equipment) is subjective

I’m saying that if someone makes a habit of point-fighting then yea that’s probably not wise. but there’s tons of fighters who go balls to the wall trying to finish fights yet they still get screwed over.

BECAUSE they don't finish the fight, and it gets left in the hands of Flawed/Biased/incompetent Judges...*sometimes*. Hence the saying.

It's not just "point fighters". Bad decisions are common in combat sports, it is a known fact. if Pearson had finished Sanchez, or Belcher had finished Akiyama, then neither of those HORRIBLE decisions would have been rendered. Hence the saying. Just sayin'.

It basically suggests that if I’m winning the fight during the last round, then I should take more risks to finish the fight just to be sure that the judges aren’t gonna screw me over. That’s absolutely ridiculous. Why should somebody change their fighting style when they’re winning the fight just because the judges don’t know what the fuck they’re doing?

I guess I can kinda understand it a little if you’re a fighter who really loves to point-fight and keep things close then yea you’re probably gonna get screwed at some point or another. But it’s still a really stupid quote in my book and I hate how Dana White embraces it like it’s some genius idea. Get at least 5 judges to score a fight and that’ll at least help to decrease some of these god awful decisions.

So you are calling Dana White stupid?
You got some balls, my friend.

I bet you drive the speed limit, and pump your fist in the air when a cop busts some skateboarders.

Edit: Just saw your username, all makes sense now. Eh, go watch wrestling. The history of MMA is about finishing fights, go watch The Olympics.

TS is taking it the wrong way. I always interpreted this quote like “leave no doubt because you don’t know what the judges are focusing on”. It doesn’t mean they have to finish to they just need to do enough to ensure they look like the clear winner.

A classic example of this was Rich Franklin vs Forrest Griffin. Rich’s corner assured him he was up on the score cards between rounds so Rich didn’t lay it on in the 3rd like he should have and winded up losing a decision. Just because a fighter or his corner may think they are up doesn’t mean the judges agree if the fight is close so at no point should they slow down and assume they will win. Excuses after the fact (70% hendricks and split decision Masvidal anyone?) are embarassing at this point because fighters should know better. There have been very few legit “robberies” in history IMO

Finishing fights:

1. Ensures you cannot be screwed by an incompetent judge
2. Makes you more popular with fans
3. Gives you more opportunities with the matchmakers as they are always going to pick the exciting fighter first
4. Earns you more money as contract negotiations go better for exciting fighters

Or you could be Fitch. How well did that turn out for him?

Simple, they aren't winning the fight unless the judges say so. Fighters don't write on the score cards and they should assume they are behind.

I prefer, "Try really hard and then hope that someone else thinks it's good enough."

It means gsp could have 15 loser bro don’t you know

They should have worked to get competent judges who have to go through professional continuing education specific to the sport they are judging.

It's like eyepokes and their gloves. They don't give a shit.

It encourages the fighters to try and win the fight on their terms instead of letting judges decided who won. The amount of fights ive seen where the judges cards were so skewed and off is unbelieveable. When a card is say... 30/27 29/28 27/30 its usually based on a judge who shouldnt be a judge. Fighters should always try to finish a fight. They arent throwing strikes to outpoint someone unless they know they are far ahead on the scorecard thru 2 rounds. Even then unless they are stalling, when someone throws a punch or kick.. The intention is to hurt the opponent. Its not like wonderboy throws a right 1 4 combo with the intention of just scoring points. He throws it to do damage even tho he is a point fighter in general. Gsp was a point fighter. Its the judging system thats flawed as well as the criteria to become a judge evidently, so the quote is a good one. They could easily reward fighter for finishes and make the fight better like having yellow cards for stalling would make it better. Reguardless there have been some highway robberies in the past is why the quote came about. I understand ts point, but the whole point of striking or grappling is to finish your opponent.

Considering judging a fight is highly subjective with the current criteria, it is actually great advice to the fighters to avoid leaving it in judges hands.

Back