“Never leave the fights to the judges” is the dumbest quote ever...

USAwrestling532

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Seriously whoever came up with this stupid ass quote needs a reality check.

It’s a silly way of passing blame from the judges onto the fighters.

It basically suggests that if I’m winning the fight during the last round, then I should take more risks to finish the fight just to be sure that the judges aren’t gonna screw me over. That’s absolutely ridiculous. Why should somebody change their fighting style when they’re winning the fight just because the judges don’t know what the fuck they’re doing?

I guess I can kinda understand it a little if you’re a fighter who really loves to point-fight and keep things close then yea you’re probably gonna get screwed at some point or another. But it’s still a really stupid quote in my book and I hate how Dana White embraces it like it’s some genius idea. Get at least 5 judges to score a fight and that’ll at least help to decrease some of these god awful decisions.

No one's blaming the fighters more than the judges per se, just saying that leaving the outcome of a fight in the hands of flawed/bias/sometimes incompetent humans isn't advisable.

You are overthinking it TS. The quote encourages finishes, the judges are notoriously shitty. I think its a great quote.

the diaz bros dont think its a dumb quote

I guess I can kinda understand it a little if you’re a fighter who really loves to point-fight and keep things close then yea you’re probably gonna get screwed at some point or another.
Kind of answered your own question there. What are the "got screwed" decisions? Khabib/Tibau where the guy on steroids did 0 damage and wasn't in control of anything, but somehow was supposed to get the decision?

Lol @ a guy called USAwrestling hating on "don't leave it in the hands of the judges".

Had to go full middle school for that one, this shit is hilarious.

Dumber than “Leg kick to the midsection.”?

You really are thinking too much into this.

I think this applies to close fights. If you are winning the fight 20-16 going into the 3rd, you don't have to take chances. If the fight is close, yes you have to take chances.

It is terrible.

Chuck really sums it up well here

Kind of answered your own question there. What are the "got screwed" decisions? Khabib/Tibau where the guy on steroids did 0 damage and wasn't in control of anything, but somehow was supposed to get the decision?

I’m saying that if someone makes a habit of point-fighting then yea that’s probably not wise. but there’s tons of fighters who go balls to the wall trying to finish fights yet they still get screwed over.

I just have a problem with people passing the buck on the fighters instead of the judges.

They said the same shit to us when I was wrestling in high school and that always got me pissed. If i’m up by 1 point at the end of the third period, I shouldn’t have to be thinking “oh geez I better shoot for another takedown in case this ref hits me with a bullshit stalling call.”

It’s like no, I shouldn’t have to take a wild risk towards the end because I have little confidence in the ref getting it right...

The quote is part of the attitude of influencing fighters to go for the finish in close fights rather than chance it with the judges.

It’s part of the strategy of the ufc to encourage fighters to be more exciting.

This is where you learned all you know about combat sports. Tuf noob.

<{vega}>

I'm living in your head rent free. Stop embarrassing yourself. It's flattering my opinion weighs on you so heavily, but play it cool man.

The quote is part of the attitude of influencing fighters to go for the finish in close fights rather than chance it with the judges.

It’s part of the strategy of the ufc to encourage fighters to be more exciting.

When the fight is about even....yea I have no problem with the quote. But the problem is that tons of people still say that shit when everyone and their grandma knows the judges got it wrong. In those scenarios....blaming the fighter instead of the judges makes no sense to me. Am I really out of my mind for thinking this?

The only reason I don't like that quote, is because it implies that fighters are consciously choosing not to finish the fight and leave it to the judges to decide. The fact is, plenty of the time guys are going all out and want nothing more than to finish the fight, but the third round ends and it just didn't happen.

The UFC doesn't care about whether a fight goes the distance or if it ends with a finish. They care about one thing only - money. And fighters that produce finishes rather than 3 round snooze fests fetch the UFC more money in the long run. It all comes back to the $$$$.

Hendricks did this against GSP.

Seriously whoever came up with this stupid ass quote needs a reality check.

It’s a silly way of passing blame from the judges onto the fighters.

It basically suggests that if I’m winning the fight during the last round, then I should take more risks to finish the fight just to be sure that the judges aren’t gonna screw me over. That’s absolutely ridiculous. Why should somebody change their fighting style when they’re winning the fight just because the judges don’t know what the fuck they’re doing?

I guess I can kinda understand it a little if you’re a fighter who really loves to point-fight and keep things close then yea you’re probably gonna get screwed at some point or another. But it’s still a really stupid quote in my book and I hate how Dana White embraces it like it’s some genius idea. Get at least 5 judges to score a fight and that’ll at least help to decrease some of these god awful decisions.
you miss the point.
Dana does not have power to fire incompetent judges.
And there are A LOT of incompetent judges.

That's why you shouldn't trust the judges. They are fallible and sometimes biased.

You should only "trust them" if the bias is invariably towards you.

It’s not meant to imply that you should change your style or take unnecessary risks.

It’s meant to let you know that if the judges screw you (which—unless you are a star—they sooner or later will), you really don’t have anyone to blame but yourself.

You should always train to try to finish the fight. If you’re not good enough to do that, then your fate is in someone else’s hands.

Back