Social “Homosexuality Caused Noah’s Flood” Says Woman Behind OH Abortion Bill

You don't know biblical hermeneutics so please stop being dishonest.

The context is important when trying to understand these things. In a lot of cases, they were God's punishment on those societies because they practiced things like bestiality, child sacrifice, and other evils. So clearly killing children doesn't make God happy. It's also important to note that God didn't just punish these societies without warning. They were given plenty of time (over 400 years for some) and warnings to repent - it's not as if God just one day decided he was going to wipe them out for fun.
The killing of children during these punishments is a much harder thing to justify because we often think of children as innocent. However, you can argue that children would grow up with the same beliefs of their parents or try to seek revenge. Ultimately, the Christian view is that God is just, so the children who died would have gone to heaven because they were not old enough to understand or to be considered morally responsible.

I encourage you to actually look into this stuff rather than blindly copy pasting articles you find online and talking about "fundamentalist/literalist" interpretations (whatever that means) because that will get you nowhere.
I’m on a tablet, so I’m not going to type a long response. I can write more tomorrow. I assure you that I know more about Biblical Hermeneutics— which is a fancy way of saying textual criticism— than most people on SD. I studied at a Jesuit school, lol.

But you know who doesn’t subscribe to textual criticism? Fundamentalists and Biblical literalists whom, if you go back and read carefully, you will see are the addresses of my comment.

If you want to have a conversation about what in the Bible is of historical vs. literary vs. spiritual value, I’d be happy to. But my guess is your answers to those questions will be determined by a specific inter-textual narrative that you have decided is there. When I ask you how you’ve decided on this narrative, you’ll most likely point out the passages that your narrative has decided should be taken literally. Which is, of course, circular reasoning.

People have been insisting that there is ONE true, valid reading of the Bible that we can arrive at since Luther. And here we are 10,000 sects of Christianity later, lol.

The point is, you can’t take the whole Bible literally because some of it flatly contradicts itself— which puts everyone who wants to take ANY of it literally with some choices to make. You could tell yourself one narrative to resolve these conflicts in one way, someone else has a different narrative to resolve them in another way.

One thing we cannot claim is objective knowledge.

I’m on a tablet, so I’m not going to type a long response. I can write more tomorrow. I assure you that I know more about Biblical Hermeneutics— which is a fancy way of saying textual criticism— than most people on SD. I studied at a Jesuit school, lol.

But you know who doesn’t subscribe to textual criticism? Fundamentalists and Biblical literalists whom, if you go back and read carefully, you will see are the addresses of my comment.

If you want to have a conversation about what in the Bible is of historical vs. literary vs. spiritual value, I’d be happy to. But my guess is your answers to those questions will be determined by a specific inter-textual narrative that you have decided is there. When I ask you how you’ve decided on this narrative, you’ll most likely point out the passages that your narrative has decided should be taken literally. Which is, of course, circular reasoning.

People have been insisting that there is ONE true, valid reading of the Bible that we can arrive at since Luther. And here we are 10,000 sects of Christianity later, lol.

The point is, you can’t take the whole Bible literally because some of it flatly contradicts itself— which puts everyone who wants to take ANY of it literally with some choices to make. You could tell yourself one narrative to resolve these conflicts in one way, someone else has a different narrative to resolve them in another way.

I'm a preterist. It amazes me how fundamentalists take just about everything in the Bible literally except the countless statements in the NT that say the parousia was going to happen soon.

ah I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were addressing it in that way.

I'm not really sure what you want to discuss. I was simply responding to that link which is supposed to show that God is OK with killing children. Thankfully, it appears that you don't believe that.

As for "10,000 sects later", it's a shame yes, especially since the Bible is against sectarianism anyway, and warns against false teachers, but I think you will find that a lot of disagreements are over small things - most agree on the fundamental/foundational doctrines.
I will say this though, I believe the thing that has tarnished the name of Christianity the most, are Christians themselves. I use that word loosely since I don't believe they are true Christians. However, most people can't distinguish them and people end up believing that their actions are Christian just because they say they are. There was even one professor who was calling the Christchurch shooter a "christian terrorist" lol, which shows you that this occurs even at the level of a professor.

Last edited:
Last time I checked the Mayor of Bury wasn't a terrorist sympathiser.

Tell me again how knives and guns stopped the planes crashing into the twin towers?

Tell me again how the poor people getting run down by cars had no opportunity to defend themselves....acid attacks??? You’re defenseless. Deal with it.

I actually believe it's really an insane Orthodox Jew.
I can see that you could come to that conclusion if you took everything he/she said at face value. After all, he/shehas claimed to be an orthodox jew that is theologically anti-zionist while linking to neteuri argumnents, but that particular breed of insane orthodox barely uses the internet, and definitely doesn't shitpost memes from evangelical blogs straight through the sabbath.

IMO, he's more likely to be some flavor of messianic jew. a/k/a a christian.

I can see that you could come to that conclusion if you took everything he/she said at face value. After all, he/she has claimed to be an orthodox jew that is theologically anti-zionist while linking to neteuri argumnents, but that particular breed of insane orthodox barely uses the internet, and definitely doesn't shitpost memes from evangelical blogs straight through the sabbath.

IMO, he's more likely to be some flavor of messianic jew. a/k/a a christian.

It told you that? I asked which movement it was part of a while back; didn't want to answer so I just assumed.

2500.jpg

Janet Porter is a Christian supremecist (no, really, she got kicked off of Christian radio for promoting hate towards other religions).

She was a gay conversion therapy activist in the 1990s. Her “non profit” is recognized as an anti-LGBT hate group.

She was an Obama Birther.

She’s been pushing the heartbeat bill with no exceptions for rape or incest for nine years. It was rejected as too extreme even by prolife groups. Versions were vetoed by two Republican Governors as clearly outside of the law.

Then Brett Kavanaugh got named to the Supreme Court.

Now she has her law.

This is Donald Trump’s America.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lEdNtMA75OsWTcJMaAfvxhZ7jw#Echobox=1558083740
Those pics of that liberal loon girl screaming that Trump won...you know the meme
This is the rights equivalent to that.

It told you that? I asked which movement it was part of a while back; didn't want to answer so I just assumed.
It doesn't specify which movement because it's been tripped up when it tries to do that.

These people are more dangerous than any Muslim Extremist.

These people actually support Israel no matter what, hoping it will bring the apocalypse.

These fuckers have huge say in the way we manage diplomatic ties in the middle east....Think about that for a second...These motherfuckers, who are rooting for the apocalypse, actually have influence over our Nuclear Weapons via voting in Warhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No offense, but you sound like a crazy weirdo

I used to work at Los Alamos national lab, they even paid for my college.

I'd like to see it get more funding towards Quantum Information Systems research. We can laugh at China's tech sector for failing to raise any semblance of a respectable domestic semiconductor industry after three decades of failing, but they've made big strides in QIS.

I'd like to see it get more funding towards Quantum Information Systems research. We can laugh at China's tech sector for failing to raise any semblance of a respectable domestic semiconductor industry after three decades of failing, but they've made big strides in QIS.

That’s way above my pay grade, I was just a lab tech there for a group that was doing a human genome thing. My dad still works there, every time he tries to retire they talk him into staying, he does real hair there though, he’s a physicist and a group leader.

William Hasker in The Emergent Self convinced me that the soul is generated by the brain.

Is this a new theory? In our past discussions IIRC you believed the soul was transcendental and could be bestowed by god on the animate and inanimate.

I was going to shit all over this woman, but with a cross that big hanging on her wall it's clear she has a sincere and very strong faith. Even if I disagree with it, I must respect its weight.
It does look heavy

Back