Your favorite movie of 1996

Your favorite movie of 1996

• Total voters
2s9aijd.gif

Trainspotting for me followed by Fargo and Happy Gilmore.

Sleepers. Great cast, great soundtrack, great script, some great young performances, one of DeNiro's last good performances. The movie has so much going for it.

It's right up there with Warrior for me in my 'get drunk and have a manly cry' movies. A Time to Kill is another great one.

I voted for Fargo, but I take it back. I didn't realize Sleepers and Primal Fear were from '96.

Sleepers is the best. Probably in my top 5 all time.
Primal Fear, Fargo, Scream and The Rock round out the top 5 for the year.

Ari-Gold-Get-The-Fuck-Out.gif

In all seriousness, while i can understand that for some it was over the top, and that there were some plot holes, ID was action packed, each key character had a fully developed story arc, it had one of the best motivational speeches of all time, and is infinitely quotable. Plus it had Smith and Goldblum, who were pretty much at the top of their game ATM.

Also, we're naming favorite movies from that year, not the best movie out there, in terms of talent/story/character developmentdirecting/you-name-it. For many people, it's a thin line (depending on which movie they rewatched the last), and the pole allows only one vote (if i'm not mistaken). Don't get all upset that people have favorites that don't necessarily match yours.
I will forever argue that the first hour of ID4 is as good as it gets for a disaster movie. The suspense of the aliens invading, the score, the atmosphere, the uncertainty of all the characters. It felt like what would really happen and how people would actually react. It gets a little cartoony after the big welcome to earth scene but it's still an amazing movie. Also like you said it's the best character development of any disaster movie I've ever seen. You care about each one of them and their story arcs.

Hell my favorite scene isn't even all the explosion stuff but when Goldblum is arguing with his ex and she says she left him to take a great job cause she wanted to be part or something special and hasn't he ever wanted to be. He slams his bottle down and says I was part of something special. GOTCHA BITCH
jeff-goldblum-slamming-liquor-686x291.jpg

Smith was the star but Goldblum made the movie
giphy.gif

Had to go Independence Day. Absolutely loved that movie when I was a kid.

The ones that I liked on the list
Kingpin, Swingers, Fargo, Trainspotting and the guilty pleasure Happy Gilmore

Others not on the list
Sling Blade, Rumble in the Bronx, From Dusk Till Dawn,Beavis and Butthead, Primal Fear, Sleepers, Executive Decision

Twister.

However, every movie on that list could be picked.

Not on the list but this movie never gets mentioned its called Sleepers and its def a Sleeper under the radar one of the best it had an ensemble cast and everyone preformed top notch on it

Not mentioned on the cover are Vittorio Gassman,Billy Cudrup, Bruno Kirby, Minnie Driver, Ron eldard, Jeffry Donovan of burn notice,
Sleepers_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

All fun and enjoyable movies, but Fargo IMO was the better technical achievement of them. The Coen brothers weren't messing around in the 90's.

Not on the list but this movie never gets mentioned its called Sleepers and its def a Sleeper under the radar one of the best it had an ensemble cast and everyone preformed top notch on it

Not mentioned on the cover are Vittorio Gassman,Billy Cudrup, Bruno Kirby, Minnie Driver, Ron eldard, Jeffry Donovan of burn notice,
Sleepers_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

I remember watching this when I was younger and thinking it was really depressing. The trailer gives it a totally different vibe.

No cunt leaves here till we find oot what cunts are keeping Trainspotting from #1

+1

If your faith is threatened by a form of entertainment, you have no faith.

It's not about a person's individual faith being threatened, it's about supporting a product that is promoting something that is the antithesis to what you believe to be good and true.

It's no different, really, to the way that you often see atheists speaking out against a Christian product that promotes creationism, claims the world is 6,000 years old and denies evolution. The atheist thinks those products are anti-science, foolish and literally dangerous to humanity, so they say something about it.

And saying The Craft put witchcraft in a positive light, is like saying 2001's 'Blow' put the cocaine trade in a positive light.

If anything, they were warnings.

Not exactly. The main character is still a witch at the end. If there's a message to the film, it's that things can be used for good or ill, and you have to make the choice about which path you're going to follow in life.

Interest in Wicca rose dramatically after the movie came out, not unlike the way that Naval recruiting went up after Top Gun's release.

I remember watching this when I was younger and thinking it was really depressing. The trailer gives it a totally different vibe.

hell yeah it was depressing lol, but it was very powerful and well done the story captures you its sad man, the seen with Brad Pitt and minnie driver meeting in the subway with their backs turned was great acting moment from both.

I forgot primal fear came out that year. That movie was amazing and put young Edward Norton on the map. That guy is a great actor.

Back