Your favorite movie of 1996

Your favorite movie of 1996

• Total voters
I went with the Rock, but Romeo + Juliet was also a favorite of mine.

I was going to vote for Independance Day but as i happened to catch Scream just recently and was surprised that it stood the test of time it got my vote.

Scream was out-fucking-standing

it got my vote, too

Scream had so many sequels people forgot how good the original was. The slasher genre was on life support when that movie came out, and it single handedly revived interest in the genre.

I'm the only one who voted for The Craft. Any straight guys in here?

style1996.gif

I will forever argue that the first hour of ID4 is as good as it gets for a disaster movie. The suspense of the aliens invading, the score, the atmosphere, the uncertainty of all the characters. It felt like what would really happen and how people would actually react. It gets a little cartoony after the big welcome to earth scene but it's still an amazing movie. Also like you said it's the best character development of any disaster movie I've ever seen. You care about each one of them and their story arcs.

Hell my favorite scene isn't even all the explosion stuff but when Goldblum is arguing with his ex and she says she left him to take a great job cause she wanted to be part or something special and hasn't he ever wanted to be. He slams his bottle down and says I was part of something special. GOTCHA BITCH
jeff-goldblum-slamming-liquor-686x291.jpg

Smith was the star but Goldblum made the movie
giphy.gif

Agreed. It was so much more than an action movie, those little one liners, revealing the subtle nuances of each character made the movie so much more relatable than your standard good guy/bad guy.

Plus, the last gif you posted is as badass as it gets.

I'm the only one who voted for The Craft. Any straight guys in here?

style1996.gif

I wanted to bang all those girls and the craft was really good, but I liked Scream more. I grew up on slasher flicks and Scream was the first movie that was self aware about the genre cliches.

Agreed. It was so much more than an action movie, those little one liners, revealing the subtle nuances of each character made the movie so much more relatable than your standard good guy/bad guy.

It's easy to forget because Hollywood makes so many now, but Independence day was the first modern "giant summer action blockbuster" Like how Die hard redefined action films, and Lethal Weapon created the buddy cop genre.

Very close between scream and Jerry maguire for me.

I wanted to bang all those girls and the craft was really good, but I liked Scream more. I grew up on slasher flicks and Scream was the first movie that was self aware about the genre cliches.

I loved the humor of it. And the horror (that first scene with Drew Barrymore is still crazy to this day). I loved the meta aspects of it. I loved that Drew Barrymore was on the freakin poster, was really the only "star" in it, and she got gutted in the first 10 minutes, lol. That was brilliant and turned the audience's expectations on their heads.

And people forget now, but watching it for the first time, there was that puzzle aspect of it, too. Trying to figure out who the killer was. And Craven did a great job at making pretty much ALL the characters suspects. I loved that. Such a great movie.

That moment when you just saved the world and it's about to be red panty night with your ex

I will forever argue that the first hour of ID4 is as good as it gets for a disaster movie. The suspense of the aliens invading, the score, the atmosphere, the uncertainty of all the characters. It felt like what would really happen and how people would actually react. It gets a little cartoony after the big welcome to earth scene but it's still an amazing movie. Also like you said it's the best character development of any disaster movie I've ever seen. You care about each one of them and their story arcs.

Hell my favorite scene isn't even all the explosion stuff but when Goldblum is arguing with his ex and she says she left him to take a great job cause she wanted to be part or something special and hasn't he ever wanted to be. He slams his bottle down and says I was part of something special. GOTCHA BITCH
jeff-goldblum-slamming-liquor-686x291.jpg

Smith was the star but Goldblum made the movie
giphy.gif

Agree with pretty much all of this. I'll also add that the practical effects used in the destruction scenes look a lot better than most of the CGI of today. Blowing up a physical model of the White House > blowing up a digital White House.

It's such a shame that the long-awaited sequel ended up being such a massive piece of shit.

I loved the humor of it. And the horror (that first scene with Drew Barrymore is still crazy to this day). I loved the meta aspects of it. I loved that Drew Barrymore was on the freakin poster, was really the only "star" in it, and she got gutted in the first 10 minutes, lol. That was brilliant and turned the audience's expectations on their heads.

And people forget now, but watching it for the first time, there was that puzzle aspect of it, too. Trying to figure out who the killer was. And Craven did a great job at making pretty much ALL the characters suspects. I loved that. Such a great movie.

It really turned genre conventions on their head. And the sly way they broke the 4th wall was unheard of in those kinds of movies. Being an 80's kid I LOVE slashers and horror films in general, and we got a food of new ones, some of them even daring to try a new approach, after the success of Scream.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I'll also add that the practical effects used in the destruction scenes look a lot better than most of the CGI of today. Blowing up a physical model of the White House > blowing up a digital White House.

It's such a shame that the long-awaited sequel ended up being such a massive piece of shit.
I don't take movies very seriously. I can usually find enjoyable things about anything and if I don't like it then I can enjoy it for being bad. Resurgence though was the worst movie I've ever seen with no redeeming qualities and can't be enjoyed in any way

I graduated high school in 96 so it's a special time for me. I get nostalgia overload once in awhile thinking about the movies and music and everything about that time. Seems like a better time than now, but it's hard to tell because I guess I was still in my wonder years or whatever. But WOW looking at the movies that came out that year....it definitely was a better time than now.

Obvious choice is ID4. And I did love that. Also loved Twister...to the point where I wanted to be a tornado chaser...seriously....for a little while. BUT....I'm going with SCREAM! THAT shit was a total game changer and SO MUCH FUN to see in theaters. What say you, sherbrethren?

Edit: I ran out of poll choices but also:

The Frighteners
Sling Blade
Broken Arrow
Primal Fear

Dude I wasn't even born yet

I'll also add that the practical effects used in the destruction scenes look a lot better than most of the CGI of today. Blowing up a physical model of the White House > blowing up a digital White House.

^ yup. Lol that scene looked so good I remember Dr. Evil showing it in that one Austin Powers movie and all the guys watching it started freaking out. Lol @ Dr. Evil :D

God damn. looking at that list depresses me. I thought so many were gonna be epic and instead, ended up being childish.

I went with the Rock, but Romeo + Juliet was also a favorite of mine.

Yeah, Romeo+Juliet is a solid film that I'm happy to see on the list. I avoided that one for a long time but when I finally watched I was surprised by how good it was.

It's not going to get its due on Sherdog, though.

Fargo is one of the best movies of all time, imo. So it's also best movie on the list.

Back