Your favorite movie of 1996

Your favorite movie of 1996

• Total voters
The Rock
From Dusk Till Dawn
Tesis (spanish movie)

A rather weak year I suppose. Freaking English Patient won the Oscar:D

Gotta go with Trainspotting, that was a good-ass year though.

Maybe I've just become a joyless bastard but these days I'd struggle to enjoy a single movie in the year as much as I did half a dozen on that list.

Happy.

But...one of my teachers was in Mars Attack :D
Was one of the dudes who got blown up in the court, hahah.

independence Day? Fuck you all. I have more taste in my penis

I guess it kind of sucks by today's standards, but it was the first of the end of days epic-scale destruction type movies with dope sfx. It was pretty mind blowing shit at the time.

I guess it kind of sucks by today's standards. . .

No it doesn't.

@TheRuthlessOne said the same thing until he rewatched it.

Other than a few green screen shots (like the scene where the dog is escaping the tunnel explosion) ID4 holds up quite well, thank you.

Wish I could vote for two. I went with Trainspotting but Scream is one of my all time favourite horror movies.

No it doesn't.

@TheRuthlessOne said the same thing until he rewatched it.

Other than a few green screen shots (like the scene where the dog is escaping the tunnel explosion) ID4 holds up quite well, thank you.
hated it then and haite it now

He punched the fuckin alien. What the fuck? He knocked the alien out with a punch. That thing is like 8 feet tall. Even Arnold couldnt even really hurt the predator with a punch but will fucking smith can knock out this shitty alien in a shitty alien movie and fly the things ship without knowing hiow and going "uh uhhh ni66a not in my hood " as he flies around. Everything about this movie sucks. Its near Godzilla (1998) kevels of total bufoonery. The acting and direction is unintentional comedy. It should never be mentioned alongside real flims like Fargo and Trainspotting.

hated it then and haite it now

He punched the fuckin alien. What the fuck? He knocked the alien out with a punch. That thing is like 8 feet tall. Even Arnold couldnt even really hurt the predator with a punch but will fucking smith can knock out this shitty alien in a shitty alien movie and fly the things ship without knowing hiow and going "uh uhhh ni66a not in my hood " as he flies around. Everything about this movie sucks. Its near Godzilla (1998) kevels of total bufoonery. The acting and direction is unintentional comedy. It should never be mentioned alongside real flims like Fargo and Trainspotting.

Welcome to earth!

On a related note, I have the 20th Anniversary Blu-Ray and it's excellent. So many great special features. One of the most full-featured Blu-Rays I own.

i voted ID becasue it was my favorite movie at that time, just a super fun summer blockbuster to go to. But as for aging, i would move happy gilmore and scream both ahead of it. I also loved the rock, the frighteners and somebody said from dusk til dawn came out that year too? Shit what an awesome year for movies. And you know whats even cooler? none of them were sequals or reboots like hollywood regurgitates today.

Never seen't it.

And I like Michael J. Fox, too.

Although some of his work can be a little shaky.

I'm going to hell

I doubt it , you or someone close to you will probably just develope a debilitating and progressive neurological disorder thatll slowly and relentlessly rob the quality from your life.

Probably Swingers, Sling Blade or Jerry Maguire.

A lot of good films, but i choose Independance day. I've only seen Fargo a few years back, and while it was good, i'd hardly call it amazing. And while Jerry Maguire was great, ID was just an all around better movie IMO.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone likes Independence Day. What a steaming pile of shit that movie is.

Ari-Gold-Get-The-Fuck-Out.gif

In all seriousness, while i can understand that for some it was over the top, and that there were some plot holes, ID was action packed, each key character had a fully developed story arc, it had one of the best motivational speeches of all time, and is infinitely quotable. Plus it had Smith and Goldblum, who were pretty much at the top of their game ATM.

Also, we're naming favorite movies from that year, not the best movie out there, in terms of talent/story/character developmentdirecting/you-name-it. For many people, it's a thin line (depending on which movie they rewatched the last), and the pole allows only one vote (if i'm not mistaken). Don't get all upset that people have favorites that don't necessarily match yours.

I doubt it , you or someone close to you will probably just develope a debilitating and progressive neurological disorder thatll slowly and relentlessly rob the quality from your life.

I recently marked 10 years here. I think that counts

If you voted for anything other than Happy Gilmore, we can't be friends.

edit: I'll allow kingpin as well.

I was a Christian then too, and still am, so I do see the problems with movies like that.

+1

If your faith is threatened by a form of entertainment, you have no faith.

And saying The Craft put witchcraft in a positive light, is like saying 2001's 'Blow' put the cocaine trade in a positive light.

If anything, they were warnings.

Back