Yair Rodriguez denies turning down fights and said he was released because he wanted more money.

Out of prime spent BJ Penn?

There are a couple of dudes who can ignore previous contracts when negotiating, Conor/Diaz/GSP/Jones/Khabib/Lesnar.

Saying, “Okay but more money” isn’t accepting, its refusing and making a counter-offer.

Dude is full of shit and Dana is right about refusal.

Re-read the whole discussion that led to a message you responded to.
This has nothing to do with your response.

Umm, turning down a fight because you want more money is still turning down a fight...

Asking for more money, saying you won't take the foght otherwise, is akin to refusing to fight.

Did my best with the cliffs since I couldn't understand him very well so yeah whatever.

Cliffs

• Said Frankie Edgar loss put him in a bad situation, was inactive because of family and personal issues. Was still training at the time.

• Was asking for fights in February 2018, talked to Sean Shelby and wanted to fight Josh Emmett in Orlando but Jeremy Stephens got the fight instead. Asked Shelby for a top 10 fights. Said he felt he deserves it because of his record and he is a rising star.

• Wanted to fight Lamas, signed contract but Lamas chosed to fight Mirsad Bektic instead, wanted to fill in to fight Holloway but was denied since Aldo was given the rematch, wanted a rematch with Frankie but didn't get it.

•Agreed to fight Zabat in LA but asked for more money, UFC said no. Wanted to fight Zabat in Russia but didn't get it.

• Said the main issue was money, said he had proof that he agree to the fights UFC offered him.

If you ask for more money to fight someone, that is still turning down a fight on the contract you signed. UFC is correct.

It's not just about Yair asking for more money.
He claims that after his request was refused, he asked to fight Zabit in Russia. Which doesn't sound logical by any means, especially that no official fights for Russian event are announced, it would've given him no financial advantage and overall a weird request and weird reason to refuse Zabit fight overall

Right .. so as I said .. Both Dana and Yair are telling the truth .. just from different perspectives.

UFC made an example out of Yair. He has big enough name value to be made an example of and fighters and some fans will take notice but at the same time is someone that won't cost the UFC to loose any money once cut.

The vaue of putting fear into the many fighters that are in the same position in the company as Yair was >>>>>> then the loss of a potential contender that UFC can likely re-sign later if they choose to.

I don't see that any orgs have actually offered him a deal yet, so I'll reserve judgement until I hear more.

You lost to a past his prime Frankie, what makes you think you deserve to fight Holloway? If your main goal is to redeem yourself...you don't ask for money, what you do is wreck the division...talk smack while you're at it...let everything fall to pieces...

Right .. so as I said .. Both Dana and Yair are telling the truth .. just from different perspectives.

UFC made an example out of Yair. He has big enough name value to be made an example of and fighters and some fans will take notice but at the same time is someone that won't cost the UFC to loose any money once cut.

The vaue of putting fear into the many fighters that are in the same position in the company as Yair was >>>>>> then the loss of a potential contender that UFC can likely re-sign later if they choose to.

You can count fighters that will make UFC lose money once cut with the fingers on one hand.

Hmmmm more money is pretty much turning down a fight. You fight for the contract you agreed to. Yair is in no position to barter with the ufc you are not a champion you are not even top 10 they gave you a chance you blew it now you have the balls to ask for more money.

Dude just got wrecked, he looked like he didn't know how to fight in a grappling exchange. How do you ask for a raise after a performance like that? He should go to Bellator and hope he doesn't have to fight Pico.

So...go about a year without fighting, last fighting being a one sided ass beating, then ask for more money? That's a little odd, not sure why he thought he was in a position to do that, the UFC probably saw that as him saying he wanted to be released lol.
This. It's basically what DJ has been doing with the TJ fight. Except DJ is a champion who has defended multiple times giving him a lot of leverage. Yair had none.

I mean demanding more money after a loss is the same as turning down the fight.

why would he expect them to renegotiate after he lost?
Because he's an idiot.

Reminds me of the time when I went to buy some pvc pipes at Home Depot and some desperate day laborers started begging me for work. I played along for a minute and they were asking for at least a grand for four hours of work. Like who is going to pay these f***ers that money? Hahaha

Lol like either "truth" is better than the other. It's probably true what Yair said. He asked for more money to fight in LA. (After a loss mind you) UFC said no. So they cut him. I think that's what happened.
That's what probably happened... it seems like Yair isn't the best at negotiate and maybe he didn't know how to handle it.
So that proves that he isn't a duck like many people from here suggested. He's only bad at business I guess.

He acts like beating Caceres(barely) & a washed BJ Penn makes him something special. Bro didnt even deserve a top 15 ranking. I'm glad this entitled spoiled brat is gone

Coming off a win and being a champ won't help you either...

Most guys always renegotiate while champion. Connor, Stipe and Weidman being good examples. Alvarez just did it. Giblert finessed a TUF gig after bearing washed Diego. Yair has been ducking and bullshitting. Look at that tweet when Zabit called him out. Hes probably been turning fights left and right. Then they finally got him to agree to fight zabit but he probably flip it and asked for more money. They probably had enough and said fuck off

Back