Yair Rodriguez denies turning down fights and said he was released because he wanted more money.

Either the replies are from UFC shills or a lot of you have difficulty in reading comprehension.

What Yair said...

Give him top ten opponent and there was no need for negotiations.

Give Zabit in LA; he wants more money, since Zabit is ranked 13 and Yair is 7.

Give Zabit in Russia and then he's ready to fight without payrise.

Dana is a vindictive bastard, and UFC have history of treating people like shit. Can't believe so many people are picking UFCs side of the story.

Fawk Dana.

Did my best with the cliffs since I couldn't understand him very well so yeah whatever.

Cliffs

• Said Frankie Edgar loss put him in a bad situation, was inactive because of family and personal issues. Was still training at the time.

• Was asking for fights in February 2018, talked to Sean Shelby and wanted to fight Josh Emmett in Orlando but Jeremy Stephens got the fight instead. Asked Shelby for a top 10 fights. Said he felt he deserves it because of his record and he is a rising star.

• Wanted to fight Lamas, signed contract but Lamas chosed to fight Mirsad Bektic instead, wanted to fill in to fight Holloway but was denied since Aldo was given the rematch, wanted a rematch with Frankie but didn't get it.

•Agreed to fight Zabat in LA but asked for more money, UFC said no. Wanted to fight Zabat in Russia but didn't get it.

• Said the main issue was money, said he had proof that he agree to the fights UFC offered him.

He also said that he DID get Lamas offer back, but was "let's say, disappointed." Whatever that means. So probably refused.

And how could he get the fight in Russia back then? Nothing there was official. STILL no official fights for Russia...

Something smells very fishy here...

michael-scott-mo-money-mo-problems.gif

Solid advice for Yair.

He said that he believe the Zabat match up was going to be big so he said fine I'll fight him but i want some more money.

its bad enough for the ufc having to negotiate contracts every 3-4 fights, now fighters want to negotiate mid contract? lol.

Why are people surprised that yair asked for more money when you have zero idea how much was on the table to begin with?

And newsflash, that’s what ‘private contractors’ do, haggle over price, not immediately accept what is initially tabled.

Why are people surprised that yair asked for more money when you have zero idea how much was on the table to begin with?

And newsflash, that’s what ‘private contractors’ do, haggle over price, not immediately accept what is initially tabled.

..and this is how UFC deal with them, sending message to others.

Plus, Yair claims that he changed his mind and asked to fight Zabit in Russia.
What financial sense does it make? Or any sense?

..and this is how UFC deal with them, sending message to others.

Plus, Yair claims that he changed his mind and asked to fight Zabit in Russia.
What financial sense does it make? Or any sense?

Yeah, that is how the ufc is dealing with it atm, just as with Leslie Smith. The ufc is weaker now than it has been in the McGregor years and they’re hoping like fuck that he comes back soon to raise their stock.

And in the mean time they’re trying to send a message to fighters trying to organise and demand more money so that the brass can try and save their profit margin.

And you can say that yair simply backed down and opted for the Russia fight because he realised he didn’t have as much leverage/the ufc were more ruthless than he thought.

That’s my assessment anyways.

Last edited:
Yeah, obviously it didn't work out well for him. My point wasn't that Yair needed to ask for more. My point is that it isn't invalid or dishonorable to ask for more money mid contract as a matter of principle.

A lot of people itt think it is crazy to negotiate better terms for yourself before completing a contract. I think that is ridiculous.
An automatic knee jerk reaction when some fans dont get a fight they wanted is to blame someone. Apparently Yair trying to negotiate more money is being literally hitler.
The fans who usually hate dana white sure act alot like him sometimes.
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but the replies here are hilarious.

Both are telling the truth but from different perspectives.

Dana offers fight with xxxx pay against X fighter. Yair says NO and ask for more money to fight said fighter and proceeds to get cut from the organization.

So it would be correct to say Yair got cut from the UFC for turning down fights.

It would also be correct to say he got cut because he wanted more money.

Both statements are true.

I also find it interesting that he asks for multiple fights and didnt get them but then asks for more money when UFC finally gets him a fight ( according to the layout of the cliffs in the OP ).

for what i've red things are little different: Rodriguez agreed and signed for a couple of fights, then those fights disappeared (not for his fault), then he signs for a fight that no (middle to) big name fighters were willing to sign for, he asks for some more money and he is cut.

so, the only truth is that he is cut because he asked for more money for ONE FIGHT (after a long period of inactivity for matchmakers' fault).
basically ufc forces the fighters to only fight for them but what's happened when they fault in giving them opportunity to work?
Rodriguez was sidelined not because he refuted to fight but because his opponents choose to fight another fighter instead of him and the ufc failed in giving him an alternative.

idk, ufc is filled with mediocre fighters, i mean... people like Northcutt... and it seems that some people here is even happy for the Rodriguez's cut.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is how the ufc is dealing with it atm, just as with Leslie Smith. The ufc is weaker now than it has been in the McGregor years and they’re hoping like fuck that he comes back soon to raise their stock.

And in the mean time they’re trying to send a message to fighters trying to organise and demand more money so that the brass can try and save their profit margin.

And you can say that yair simply backed down and opted for the Russia fight because he realised he didn’t have as much leverage/the ufc were more ruthless than he thought.

That’s my assessment anyways.

First of all, UFC is not weaker. They get better deals than ever before, and PPVs become less important part of their income than it was before.
Conor will be a nice PPV edition, but financially they're better than ever regardless of any "superstars".

Other fighters yes, they get this message, ALL of them are redundant and have no leverage.
You're either "superstar", or just part of an overall UFC brand.

It’s always about money - every time the UFC is at odds with a fighter it’s a money dispute I don’t care what they say.

And UFC fighters across the board deserve more money than they get paid.
This

for what i've red things are little different: Rodriguez agreed and signed for a couple of fights, then those fights disappeared (not for his fault), then he signs for a fight that no (middle to) big name fighters were willing to sign for, he asks for some more money and he is cut.

They offered him Lamas for the second time. And he was , as he said, "let's say, disappointed". Which means, as I assume, turning down.

idk, ufc is filled with mediocre fighters, i mean... people like Northcutt... and it seems that some people here is even happy for the Rodriguez's cut.

I definitely am not happy for Rodriguez being cut, even though his explanations are blurry, incoherent and quite fishy.

However, I do understand that if UFC had to choose between Northcutt and Yair, the answer would be obvious. People actually turn on the TV specifically for Northcutt fights.
And , whatever you think about Northcutt abilities, you know he's a company man, very pro UFC

so, the only truth is that he is cut because he asked for more money for ONE FIGHT (after a long period of inactivity for matchmakers' fault).

What your saying above is essentially what I said. Yair signed for multiple fights ( So he was trying to get back in the cage ). He finally gets a fight and THEN wants more money. Proceeds to get cut.

I am not happy with the cut nor does it rage me. Should Yair of been cut ? Likely not but I believe fighters shouldn't be trying to get more money after a loss. Plus if you signed the dotted line to fight for xxxx dollars ... then fight for xxxx dollars until given a raise or your contract is up and its time to sign a new one.

What your saying above is essentially what I said. Yair signed for multiple fights ( So he was trying to get back in the cage ). He finally gets a fight and THEN wants more money. Proceeds to get cut.

I am not happy with the cut nor does it rage me. Should Yair of been cut ? Likely not but I believe fighters shouldn't be trying to get more money after a loss. Plus if you signed the dotted line to fight for xxxx dollars ... then fight for xxxx dollars until given a raise or your contract is up and its time to sign a new one.

It's not just about Yair asking for more money.
He claims that after his request was refused, he asked to fight Zabit in Russia. Which doesn't sound logical by any means, especially that no official fights for Russian event are announced, it would've given him no financial advantage and overall a weird request and weird reason to refuse Zabit fight overall

Did my best with the cliffs since I couldn't understand him very well so yeah whatever.

Cliffs

• Said Frankie Edgar loss put him in a bad situation, was inactive because of family and personal issues. Was still training at the time.

• Was asking for fights in February 2018, talked to Sean Shelby and wanted to fight Josh Emmett in Orlando but Jeremy Stephens got the fight instead. Asked Shelby for a top 10 fights. Said he felt he deserves it because of his record and he is a rising star.

• Wanted to fight Lamas, signed contract but Lamas chosed to fight Mirsad Bektic instead, wanted to fill in to fight Holloway but was denied since Aldo was given the rematch, wanted a rematch with Frankie but didn't get it.

•Agreed to fight Zabat in LA but asked for more money, UFC said no. Wanted to fight Zabat in Russia but didn't get it.

• Said the main issue was money, said he had proof that he agree to the fights UFC offered him.

Demanding more money for a fight means you refused it.

That’s just bullshit from this dude.

Back