Yahoo! Sports: "Vegetarianism all the rage in MMA" (first half)

If "all the rage" means half a dozen guys I guess... Quitting meat may be a good idea for various reasons but quitting fish too? Not me.

Link?

I have never heard of plants having a CNS. Yes, some do respond to stimuli like light and touch. Some even trap and consume bugs and insects, but i have never heard of them having a CNS. Are u sure u have not confused CNS with central vascular system? Or for the mechanism that occurs when a plants cells become damaged and it excretes chemicals in response to the cell damage.

Can i ask how you define plant and animal? There are some plants that consume insects. There are also some types of algae that are mobile with flagella, but preform photosynthesis. Where do they fall?

Shit, I stand corrected. Apparently what was taught to me as a CNS is an entirely chemical based system. A CNS would require a brain, and well, Broccoli does not have a brain so there. I have some pwn on my face I need to go clean off.

ribs.jpg

How can you guys argue against this??? It just looks so damn good.

grain-logo4.jpg

How come no one posts pictures of delicious wheat in the paleo and low carb threads?

A little equal ribbing is all I ask.

grain-logo4.jpg

How come no one posts pictures of delicious wheat in the paleo and low carb threads?

A little equal ribbing is all I ask.

Dude, I'm trying to go vegetarian but my already vegetarian GF watches the travel channel and the food network which is making it impossible.

On an unrelated note, I'M MOVING TO MEMPHIS.

There is one definite pro to an all green diet/vegan diet which is the fact that you will get a sufficient amount of alkaline which is great for athletes. I still believe that an athlete should consume meat for some fats from meat source for testosterone production. To counter the inflammation from meat, I recommend Krill oil much more over fish oil to bring down the inflammation red meats and training have on the muscle tissues/joints.

I sat next to some lady that at a hibachi grill the other night that made it a point that everyone at the table knew she was a vegetarian and had been for 10 years. she mentioned it multiple times. She was also fat and annoying. Just thought I would share.

I sat next to some lady that at a hibachi grill the other night that made it a point that everyone at the table knew she was a vegetarian and had been for 10 years. she mentioned it multiple times. She was also fat and annoying. Just thought I would share.

Like everyone on this board brags about eating meat? Did she call you a "***" too?

Those that have debated against me have said they don't support industrial livestock- I think we can probably agree on that much. Check out this brochure from the Union of Concerned Scientists. There is a full report as well. It does not advocate a vegan diet.

http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/food_and_agriculture/cafo_issue-briefing-low-res.pdf

If you don't like Confined Animal Feeding Operations, don't source your protein from them and let your actions speak. 4 billion a year in subsidies goes to CAFOs, helping them out-compete smaller and more sustainable forms of livestock operations. The costs to the healthcare system of the widespread abuse of antibiotics (largely at CAFOs) is estimated at 4 billion a year.

Bam! This dude owned this thread.

As an avid meat lover, I gotta say this is correct and by far the best reason to be vegetarian or vegan.

Animals' feelings and rights? Fuck that. Health concerns? Negligible. Environmental hazards? Absolutely. Eating meat is much more detrimental to the environment than going vegetarian or vegan. There really isn't (or shouldn't be) much discussion on that.

And if you care about weird things like justice and fairness for humans you should be concerned, too. As usual, it is the poorest people in the world who are suffering and being displaced so that land can be cleared for farm animal grazing.

I ADORE meat but whether it is seriously harmful to the world and its people really isn't a debate. IT IS.

Bam! This dude owned this thread.

As an avid meat lover, I gotta say this is correct and by far the best reason to be vegetarian or vegan.

Animals' feelings and rights? Fuck that. Health concerns? Negligible. Environmental hazards? Absolutely. Eating meat is much more detrimental to the environment than going vegetarian or vegan. There really isn't (or shouldn't be) much discussion on that.

And if you care about weird things like justice and fairness for humans you should be concerned, too. As usual, it is the poorest people in the world who are suffering and being displaced so that land can be cleared for farm animal grazing.

I ADORE meat but whether it is seriously harmful to the world and its people really isn't a debate. IT IS.

Monocrop plant farming is arguably just as harmful by destroying entire ecosystems (see: Brazilian rainforest replaced with soyfields, US Great Plains with wheat fields) and replacing them with a single plant for miles and miles, which is usually then covered with Monsanto Round-Up to destroy everything that isn't that single plant. It requires using millions of tons of petroleum-derived fertilizers to compensate for the unnatural effects of having a single plant only for miles and miles, never rotating in other crops. It requires thousands and thousands of hours of work from large farm vehicles, all of which requires petroleum.

Sustainable farming, on the other hand, involves using food animals in rotation along with crops to return nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil by letting them graze in fallow fields, and uses natural fertilizers such as manure to replenish the soil.

The point that struck me as most effective was the 4 billion in costs to the healthcare system from complications due to the antibiotic-stuffed CAFO animals (diseases jumping species to humans). While becoming a vegetarian/vegan would reduce your contribution to the problem of CAFO animals as disease sources, however, it would do nothing to address the problem of monocrop plant farming and its destruction of the environment.

Monocrop plant farming is arguably just as harmful by destroying entire ecosystems (see: Brazilian rainforest replaced with soyfields, US Great Plains with wheat fields) and replacing them with a single plant for miles and miles, which is usually then covered with Monsanto Round-Up to destroy everything that isn't that single plant. It requires using millions of tons of petroleum-derived fertilizers to compensate for the unnatural effects of having a single plant only for miles and miles, never rotating in other crops. It requires thousands and thousands of hours of work from large farm vehicles, all of which requires petroleum.

Sustainable farming, on the other hand, involves using food animals in rotation along with crops to return nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil by letting them graze in fallow fields, and uses natural fertilizers such as manure to replenish the soil.

The point that struck me as most effective was the 4 billion in costs to the healthcare system from complications due to the antibiotic-stuffed CAFO animals (diseases jumping species to humans). While becoming a vegetarian/vegan would reduce your contribution to the problem of CAFO animals as disease sources, however, it would do nothing to address the problem of monocrop plant farming and its destruction of the environment.

You are debating two different (but related) things. Abstaining from animal products may not solve both problems but that doesn't make it an invalid method for fighting one of them.

You are debating two different (but related) things. Abstaining from animal products may not solve both problems but that doesn't make it an invalid method for fighting one of them.

No.

He mentioned environmental concerns as his concern, if you didn't notice. I pointed out that vegetarianism is not a valid method of solving environmental problems. The disease problem is a reason to avoid CAFO as well.

No.

He mentioned environmental concerns as his concern, if you didn't notice. I pointed out that vegetarianism is not a valid method of solving environmental problems. The disease problem is a reason to avoid CAFO as well.

So it's not valid if it only affects a piece of the puzzle rather than the whole thing? Flawed logic dude.

Wondering since vegans only eat plants that basically makes them cows right? Thus they are ok to eat. j/k

Eat all the plants you want but don't lecture on moraltiy(created by people) or enviroment (most plants are farmed where they are not natural, def. not on cruelty(how many animals die when they clear cut farmland, kill bugs ect) The bottom line is we have teeth made for ripping flesh by god use them

So it's not valid if it only affects a piece of the puzzle rather than the whole thing? Flawed logic dude.

Would you stop attacking a strawman for a moment?

Animals' feelings and rights? Fuck that. Health concerns? Negligible. Environmental hazards? Absolutely.Eating meat is much more detrimental to the environment than going vegetarian or vegan. There really isn't (or shouldn't be) much discussion on that.

This is what I'm replying to. I was generously pointing out that the aspect he was less concerned about, disease/health concerns, is actually more relevant to omnivore/veg*n decisions, but mentioned that there is a third alternative which addresses both concerns.

If that gets your panties twisted, too bad.

Would you stop attacking a strawman for a moment?

This is what I'm replying to. I was generously pointing out that the aspect he was less concerned about, disease/health concerns, is actually more relevant to omnivore/veg*n decisions, but mentioned that there is a third alternative which addresses both concerns.

If that gets your panties twisted, too bad.

Do you even know what a straw man fallacy is? Because you are arguing one, not me. You said that monocrop farming methods are "arguably just as harmful" as animal product production and since veganism doesn't address monocrop farming it "is not a valid method of solving environmental problems." That is flawed logic. Maybe that's not what you meant but that is what you said. Or maybe you think that sustainable farming cannot exist without the meat industry. Either way you are wrong.

I find it interesting that so many people insult others because of what they choose to eat.

Does anyone else see this as a sign of insecurity?

I find it interesting that so many people insult others because of what they choose to eat.

Does anyone else see this as a sign of insecurity?

Yes, but it's also just plain ol' dislike for anything different.

Back