Yahoo! Sports: "Vegetarianism all the rage in MMA" (first half)

...aaaaaand this is why people don't like vegans:

Self-righteous vegan roomate.

“When I moved in a year ago, my roommate was an ovo-lacto vegetarian, whereas I was (and still am) an omnivore,” explains our submitter in Brooklyn. “She used to not care about my eating habits, but about four months ago she decided to become a full-blown vegan and has been insufferable since then. Yesterday I went food shopping for myself, and when I came back from work today I found this letter on my bedside table.”

5870666416_d9b8d7e07c_b.jpg

5910139904_0ffb3830cd_b.jpg

Link: My self-righteous vegan roommate | PassiveAggressiveNotes.com

Note: Not meaning to over-generalize, not all vegans are like that. I'm happy with people arguing for their own opinions. But a lot of vegan are indeed just like that.

damn hippies are the first to preach tolerance but last to follow their own advice.

I've thought about becoming a vegetarian for a long time. Only because of the "feeling" I get though. For me, whether I should or shouldn't be a vegetarian, is similar to whether I should or should not regularly send my money to starving kids in Africa.

It's like... with a lot of things I think I should just act depending on what I feel like, and not be all rational. After all, it's these primal things like emotions, that are my fuel to life, and are the main reason why I'm actually living (in the sense that I'm not lying on my bed as Oblomov would). Intelligence just helps you achieve this, but in the end, it's the emotional fulfillment, or happiness. That's your main goal.

In this case, the emotional thing to do would be to become a vegetarian. Killing animals just feels wrong, it's one of those things that just feels that way. Many are not like this, but I am. There's no other reason for me there, to make me a vegetarian. Well it would also be cheaper I guess...

Yet I'm still not a vegetarian. I simply choose not to think about this question, and live in my stereotype of eating meat instead.
There's always the stories, how some guy who never cared about killing animals started working at a modern slaughterhouse, and because of the experience, ended up as a vegetarian. If I ended up working at a slaughterhouse, I would probably make the same choice, and never eat meat again. But I'm also the sort of person, who will because of this never work in a slaughterhouse, to avoid ending up as a vegetarian.
That's how far my non-vegetarianism goes. I consciously avoid the topic.

I'm just babbling shit, but my point is... I think it's simply a question of your morals. It's very hard to change someone's mind about this with scientific arguments why meat is or isn't important for you. Arguments like "it's natural, other animals eat other animals too" are not very good either.
You either can stand the feeling, or you can't. Or you know that you wouldn't be able to stand the feeling, and thus you avoid thinking about it. Sometimes you just can't decide to do the thing that makes sense, and instead just decide to do the thing that feels better.

I see that I'm babbling wannabe philosophical shit, that nobody will probably understand, but I already wrote this thing so I'll post it anyway lol.

Vegans can go fuck themselves. A friend of mine from high school is now a hardcore vegan and she constantly harps on everyone in our circle about the "abomination" of eating meat. It has gotten so bad that nobody wants to associate with her anymore and several of us have had to quite forcefully tell her to shut the fuck up when she gets into one of her tirades.

these complaints have nothing to do with diet. you're talking about behaviors you can find when people talk about anything. there are people who are dicks about what phone you buy too, doesn't mean the phone is bad. quit your rants your sissy minks

Hey, valid points. I agree with you. But I just can not support my lifestyle without eating meat - tried being a vegetarian three years ago. Felt very anemic and lost a lot of weight over the course of three months. Ate meat again and sharpened right the fuck up again.

Have thought acquiring a hunter's license - I'm a massive fan of moose and venison, plus I have zero qualms with killing what you eat yourself. It's a fucking fact of life.

PWR, watched this recently, a question Sam Harris replied to was on vegetarianism and sort of reminds me what you just said.

If you care to watch it, jump to 25:25

Hey, valid points. I agree with you. But I just can not support my lifestyle without eating meat - tried being a vegetarian three years ago. Felt very anemic and lost a lot of weight over the course of three months. Ate meat again and sharpened right the fuck up again.

Have thought acquiring a hunter's license - I'm a massive fan of moose and venison, plus I have zero qualms with killing what you eat yourself. It's a fucking fact of life.

Don't get me wrong, meat is the most delicious thing there is, it's great. If you function bad without it, that can also be another reason why to eat it. How you feel is very important - not saying that it's necessarily the right thing to emphasize in your life, but that's simply the way it is, it's very important.
I think killing an animal yourself, is very different, and when I imagine it, it just doesn't feel nearly as evil. I'm not even sure why, but it just feels that way. Some different morals come into play when you are trying to justify hunting and then killing an animal - I'm not sure whether it's some sort of respect for freedom of other beings, or whether it's the fact that it's more "natural".

Not sure whether anyone here played any video games, but in one particular rpg called Morrowind (it's the prequel to Oblivion, Elder Scrolls, which is quite famous I think), when you were choosing your character and it's skills in the beginning of the game, you also had a choice of answering some predetermined questions, and the game would choose a character for you, depending on your answers. First question was:

On a clear day you chance upon a strange animal, its leg trapped in a hunter's clawsnare. Judging from the bleeding it will not survive long. What will you do?
1,Draw your dagger, mercifully ending its life with a single thrust.
2,Use herbs from your pack to put it to sleep.
3,Do not interfere in the natural evolution of events, but rather take the opportunity to learn more about a strange animal you have never seen before.

Rationally, 3 really makes the most sense. There's probably another x animals right now trapped somewhere. Since I did not choose it as my life's goal to help all of these and avoid their pain, is there really any point doing so in this particular situation? Then again, not doing so makes you feel evil. But helping makes you realize, how much of an irrational being you are, and how you only care about things that you see. That's not necessarily bad as it's pretty natural, but it's not something that I like to remind myself, as it's a conflicting thought for me.

Miaou, yeah, things that you don't do yourself are just different. It really all comes down to how "ethical" (in the same sense it is used in the video) you are. Eating meat in today's situation is not something that can be justified ethically... all that matters is just how much you personally care.
It's the sort of thing where the simple redneck answer is pretty much correct imo - "I know that the animals are treated very cruelly (hope that word exists), but I just don't care enough about that to not eat them".

Back