Yahoo! Sports: "Vegetarianism all the rage in MMA" (first half)

The 7 to 1 ratio is fact, and represents the POTENTIAL amount of increased food production for human consumption. No one has said that that potential would be 100% realized. Even if we were able to increase world food production by 50% instead of 700% it would be worth it, and that's not including other tangible benefits like lowered water consumption, groundwater contamination, etc.

In the Midwest you can grow leafy greens, pulses, squash, broccoli, peppers, root veggies, and all kinds of other great crops.

You mean 600% not 700%. I know, details, details.

Things I find funny about this thread.

Animal farming is being shitted on (which it should be) but farming methods such as GMO foods are not being talked about. What do you think will take over mass meat production? Certainly GMO foods will take over since they are easier to grow.

Also animals feel pain but plants are living things to. They may not have a nervous system but they have many senses to the outside environment. They strive to survive just like any other living organism and will adapt to the outside environment to do it. So just because they can't scream doesn't mean they dont want to live just as much as an animal does.

All the worlds problems are not going to be solved by ending meat production. That is naive to believe so. Its also never going to happen and vegans weak attempt to alter global corporations is overly optimistic at best. We should be focusing more on changing the guidelines of meat production not on ending it completely. When vegans realize this maybe they will get through to more people.

ribs.jpg

How can you guys argue against this??? It just looks so damn good.

They may not have a nervous system but they have many senses to the outside environment....

All the worlds problems are not going to be solved by ending meat production.....

1. Actually many plants do have a CNS. Broccoli is the first one that comes to mind, but you can look that up if you are truly interested. Any plant with a CNS can "feel" pain. I know some vegans and Jains are so strict they will not eat plants that have a CNS.

2. Good point. Some of what is done during meat farming is atrocious. All of us should work to reform laws around animal cruelty, not just the berry pickers.

1. Actually many plants do have a CNS. Broccoli is the first one that comes to mind, but you can look that up if you are truly interested. Any plant with a CNS can "feel" pain. I know some vegans and Jains are so strict they will not eat plants that have a CNS.

2. Good point. Some of what is done during meat farming is atrocious. All of us should work to reform laws around animal cruelty, not just the berry pickers.

Didn't know that about brocolli that actually helps my case. At the end of the day though any living thing wants to live just as much as the next one and just because some living things are cuter than others doesn't mean we can pick and choose which deserve to live and die without being hipocritical. However as much as I love animals and plants, I also love meat and veggies and will continue to feed myself as it is imperative to my survival.

Didn't know that about brocolli that actually helps my case. At the end of the day though any living thing wants to live just as much as the next one and just because some living things are cuter than others doesn't mean we can pick and choose which deserve to live and die without being hipocritical. However as much as I love animals and plants, I also love meat and veggies and will continue to feed myself as it is imperative to my survival.

The whole point is that it is not imperative.

Broccoli has a CNS? Link please. There was a study done that showed broccoli releases some chemicals as a result of cell damage but that is hardly a CNS and far from suffering.

Is it even possible to go to a farmer and ask to kill it yourself? And then pay him to prepare it for you?

I would feel better about eating meat if i killed it myself actually. But here in holland hunting is a not a easy hobby.

Debating whether or not broccoli has a central nervous system to determine bearing on whether or not to eat it is fucking marvelous :)

It's called nature, folks. We can, and do, thrive on eating other creatures. Always have, always will, and there are far greater means by which we are ripping our ecosystem to shreds than the production of meat.

Debating whether or not broccoli has a central nervous system to determine bearing on whether or not to eat it is fucking marvelous :)

It's called nature, folks. We can, and do, thrive on eating other creatures. Always have, always will, and there are far greater means by which we are ripping our ecosystem to shreds than the production of meat.

I disagree. I argue that we are on the verge of an era where we can engineer our food for fuel purposes only, from non animal and mostly non plant sources.

While my idea is certainly "crazy" I think we as a species have moved past the point where we need to butcher animals and plants to get our fuel. We should try to find a way to give our bodies what they need for fuel without having to kill anything plant or animal.

Speaking from a purely ethical sense, why shouldn't we at least try? I mean, if we try and discover it is nearly impossible or would take an unrealistic amount of energy etc. then fine, at least we tried, right?

I disagree. I argue that we are on the verge of an era where we can engineer our food for fuel purposes only, from non animal and mostly non plant sources.

That's fine projection, but you saying that has about as much merit as me saying that such things will be a nightmare in terms of health consequences.

While my idea is certainly "crazy" I think we as a species have moved past the point where we need to butcher animals and plants to get our fuel. We should try to find a way to give our bodies what they need for fuel without having to kill anything plant or animal.

Speaking from a purely ethical sense, why shouldn't we at least try? I mean, if we try and discover it is nearly impossible or would take an unrealistic amount of energy etc. then fine, at least we tried, right?

We don't NEED to butcher them, the way things are right now we could eek out miserable vegetarian lives slogging down rations of oat porridge and other government sanctioned GMO sludge for the "good of the planet" and feed literally every last living soul, but what kind of life is that? Not one I would want to live...

It will never be paradise for everyone, until technology renders our biological wants completely moot.

The whole point is that it is not imperative.

Broccoli has a CNS? Link please. There was a study done that showed broccoli releases some chemicals as a result of cell damage but that is hardly a CNS and far from suffering.

How is eating not imperative? WTF?

And what does it matter if broccoli does or doesnt have one, I have no clue if it does but it doesn't matter the fucking thing wants to live just as much as an animal does and many botanists and anyone in biology will tell you this. So just because it might not feel pain doesn't mean that its okay to kill it.

Are you saying if we start putting cows under anesthesia before we kill them so they don't feel pain you will no longer have a problem with meat eating?

Each to his own, but I read over Shields' diet and it's borderline disgusting. A burrito with just beans, avocado, and rice? That should be a sin. :D

I'm on the boat of life is short, eat what tastes good. There are diets that allow you to do this and are just as good as being a vegetarian. Sure a balanced diet may help you live longer, but then again, maybe you get smashed in a car crash, thus rendering the diet pointless. Fatalist? Yes, I am.

And I've done enough research on soy; I don't want that anywhere near my system.

Don't see how that would be possible. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. It's all one big cycle.

How is eating not imperative? WTF?

And what does it matter if broccoli does or doesnt have one, I have no clue if it does but it doesn't matter the fucking thing wants to live just as much as an animal does and many botanists and anyone in biology will tell you this. So just because it might not feel pain doesn't mean that its okay to kill it.

Are you saying if we start putting cows under anesthesia before we kill them so they don't feel pain you will no longer have a problem with meat eating?

Eating animal products is not imperative.

Taking a life for no reason is wrong to me. The pain and suffering makes it worse but even if the animal were anesthetized I still wouldn't want to eat it.

And I've done enough research on soy; I don't want that anywhere near my system.

1. If you think it is harmful in moderate quantities then you haven't really done proper research.
2. If you actually subscribe to your "I eat whatever and don't really worry about it" philosophy then you probably eat way more soy than I do as a vegan. An American who wants to avoid soy in their diet has to be very careful and conscious about what they eat.
3. Vegan =/= massive soy intake

Eating animal products is not imperative.

Taking a life for no reason is wrong to me. The pain and suffering makes it worse but even if the animal were anesthetized I still wouldn't want to eat it.

Whats the difference between animal life and plant life? Plants can go extinct to you know.

You can't downplay a plants life because that is the same thing as speciesism except maybe you could call it kingdomism or something lol. You saying plant life is less important is the same as someone saying animal life is less important.

You eat plants because you don't want to eat animals but you need to eat something to survive. I eat plants and animals because I don't differentiate between taking lives. I eat to survive and in my opinion both cases you are taking life away from a living thing, it sucks animals are treated cruelly and I try to get my sources from places that avoid this but I can only do so much.

Just because animals are cuter than plants or you feel more closely connected to plants does not distinguish the fact that you are taking life (that plants do value and strive to keep) away from your veggies.

Just curious, are you against eating bugs?

I think eventually we'll get to that point but we're nowhere near that yet. Scientists have started growing artificial meat. Currently it's super expensive to do and supposedly tastes like shit. There will come a point where we're advanced enough to make it cheap and delicious enough to rival real meat. When we get to that point, perhaps we'll be able to overcome our natural instincts and cravings and avoid eating meat for ethical reasons.

Link?

I have never heard of plants having a CNS. Yes, some do respond to stimuli like light and touch. Some even trap and consume bugs and insects, but i have never heard of them having a CNS. Are u sure u have not confused CNS with central vascular system? Or for the mechanism that occurs when a plants cells become damaged and it excretes chemicals in response to the cell damage.

Can i ask how you define plant and animal? There are some plants that consume insects. There are also some types of algae that are mobile with flagella, but preform photosynthesis. Where do they fall?

Back