Xbox Scorpio hardware specs

I'm at work and can't see these vids, did they give a price point?

If MS had the lineup Sony currently has, I'd buy one for sure because I already have a PS4. Sadly, they don't. The 360 BC games are a bonus but not worth it when my backlog already weighs a ton.

5PrKkLu.png

Project Scorpio vs PC: to-the-metal design vs sheer brute force

The closest equivalent to PlayStation 4 Pro's GPU in the PC space, in pure performance terms, is the Radeon RX 470 or an underclocked RX 480 - both mainstream graphics cards. The latter product typically overclocks to hit the same six-teraflop compute output as Project Scorpio. However, teraflop comparisons here simply do not reflect real-world results. With one or two exceptions, the 'next-gen' upscaling techniques used on PS4 Pro don't tend to exist in the PC space - and software-level PC upscalers that can produce great results still only manifest in a minority of games. On both counts, we expect things to change rapidly, but the bottom line is that right now, consoles are capable of producing some great 4K results even if the technical sleight of hand required to get there means that it's not strictly speaking a 'proper' native ultra HD resolution. This means more bang for your buck from your console purchase.

The bottom line is that Scorpio's six teraflops will almost certainly go a lot further than an equivalent PC part. I asked Microsoft about this specifically, and they raise a number of good arguments that make the case strongly. Firstly, that their shader compiler is far more efficient than PC equivalents (think of shaders as native GPU code). Secondly, addressing the hardware directly via their API and with access to console-specific GPU extensions again adds to the advantage of a fixed platform box. And finally, they point to their optimisation software - PIX (Performance Inspector for Xbox) - as a tool that provides the path to console-specific optimisations that PC simply cannot get.

From what I've seen so far, there is some evidence that Scorpio's true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the likes of Nvidia's GTX 1070 and AMD's Fury X-class hardware. I've seen Microsoft's new console running a Forza Motorsport 6-level experience locked to 4K60 on the equivalent to PC's ultra settings - cranking up the quality presets to obscene levels was one of the first things developer Turn 10 did when confronted with the sheer amount of headroom it had left after a straight Xbox One port. Out of interest, we tested Forza 6 Apex with similar settings at 4K on GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080. Frames were dropped on GTX 1060 (and a lot of them when wet weather conditions kicked in), while GTX 1070 held firm with only the most intense wet weather conditions causing performance dips. Only GTX 1080 held completely solid in all test cases. It's only one data point, and the extent to which the code is comparable at all is debatable, but it certainly doesn't harm Scorpio's credentials: Forza 6 Apex received plenty of praise for the quality of its PC port.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...pio-is-console-hardware-pushed-to-a-new-level

I don't like splitting capabilities with a generation because it must impact development complexity. Then again developers cope with this for PC games... but they prefer working on console games for the same reason.

360 BC games will get some performance improvements like no screen tearing and 16x AF. That is a really nice feature. And all games played on a 1080p display will be downsampled, which the Pro doesn't do afaik. Kind of hope MS drops some bombshells at E3 because this sounds like a beastly console.

Ryse, Titanfall 1, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Forza MS, Forza Horizon, Gears of War, Halo, SOD, Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, We Happy Few, Cuphead, Quantum Break. Not to mention they got Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 4 a whole year before PS.

PlayStation may have more exclusives I don't think anyone will deny that but this idea that MS only has three exclusives just isn't true.
Not only have those already been released (which was stated before), but I can play almost all of those really well on a Mid-Range PC running Windows 10 thanks to Play Anywhere. What incentive do I have to invest in a Scorpio when MS has already allowed me another avenue to play these games?

X-box never gets any of the great Japanese titles. I don't know why anyone would choose that over a playstation that has plenty of great titles from both parts of the world.

Not everybody plays RPG's or is into Japanese titles. In fact it's kind of a niche community in the states. There are a still a lot of gamers like myself that like linear story lines, don't really play online, and gravitate towards sports games. This is why I prefer the XB1. Especially for EA Access. I get to have all of the recent sports titles for $30 a year.

SSDs are nice BUT EXPENSIVE when packed in. You're better off buying it yourself without the ungodly 60% increase in price that they'll put on it.
When you advertise its supposed to be a bad mamma jamma, using a spinning drive is rediculous.
Odds are it'll be 5400rpm also.

When you advertise its supposed to be a bad mamma jamma, using a spinning drive is rediculous.
Odds are it'll be 5400rpm also.
I know, but they still want to keep it within a price point that a casual might consider shelling out for (even if that chance is small). I still give them props for going with an actual 4K Blu-Ray drive, but that something that will easily add another $100 to the price at a much lower capacity. It just makes more sense to grab it yourself without the markup.

What's the over-under on this one coming in under $600? Anyone want to make a prediction?

Not everybody plays RPG's or is into Japanese titles. In fact it's kind of a niche community in the states. There are a still a lot of gamers like myself that like linear story lines, don't really play online, and gravitate towards sports games. This is why I prefer the XB1. Especially for EA Access. I get to have all of the recent sports titles for $30 a year.
A niche community?

Wasn't Nioh just dominating the charts a couple of months ago?