Xbox Scorpio hardware specs

What's your point? Most people aren't going to spend a few g's just to play some games. Get that master race shit outta here and stay on topic.

a few Gs? lol you know you can build one for less then a few Gs.

its just getting pointless and so ar consoles. I just don't get why this is getting praised when you can build or order something much cooler then a shitbox

Well, you can put together a 4K gaming rig with a pre-dabbed system and half decent card for less that $500. Put in a beefier card, and you can probably do the 60fps at a few hundred more. It doesn't require "a few g's" in cash. You can see it below.

But on to the first part of your questions, I think the specs for the Scorpio are impressive. Then again, it should be as it's going to be the latest dedicated console to hit the market. What a lot of people are saying (myself included) is that without a game to make me consider buying the system, I don't have any reason to. I hope MS does well, but HW hype and specs can only take you so far. I mean, the Jaguar and was the most powerful console out at the time, that didn't mean much since it didn't have any good games.

LMFAO at that absolute piece of shit build. Not to mention even a half decent a 4K monitor is more expensive that that whole trashpile put together.

The fact is, if you want to play smooth, native 4K at 60+ fps you are spending 2-3k AT LEAST. And most of the problem is being bottlenecked by the GPU. Realistically even a 1080 isn't enough. You need 2x1080s and a bunch of good fast ram with a solid multicore cpu and a fucking 800$ monitor to enjoy the full 4K experience PC master race always touts. It costs ALOT of time, money and work to keep everything updated.

If people can pay 5-600 bucks for a pretty solid 4K gaming console that can also play UHD Blurays, they'll jump on it. Most people don't have the time money or patience to deal with building a pc and frankly just don't care enough to do it.

That's not saying having an awesome PC build isn't great because I've always loved building PCs and Ive had many, but most people including me would rather save the time and money and game on a console like the Scorpio or a PS4 pro and just be comfortable relaxing on their bed or couch or whatever.

Consoles are inherently FAR FAR better optimized and the hardware in the Scorpio will be able to achieve MUCH greater results than a similarly built pc. By a giant margin. It should be a pretty solid console, and I've always been a big Xbox person so I'll definitely pick one up. Most of my friends play on Xbox and I enjoy the Online play/ UI/ exclusives on Xbox much better than ps4 so that's why I dont play mine much.

I thought we were talking about high resolution games at or near 60fps, you're saying most people have the right PC to play that?? That's not true at all. Play Anywhere is not going to sway the entire console gamer population over to PC gaming, their will always be people who would rather prefer the simple console where you just turn it on and play. No point in beating a dead horse.

His response wasn't about if it had games but rather that he could also get 4K 60fps with his PC. I wonder how much he spent and when he's thinking of buying another video card...
LMFAO at that absolute piece of shit build. Not to mention even a half decent a 4K monitor is more expensive that that whole trashpile put together.

The fact is, if you want to play smooth, native 4K at 60+ fps you are spending 2-3k AT LEAST. And most of the problem is being bottlenecked by the GPU. Realistically even a 1080 isn't enough. You need 2x1080s and a bunch of good fast ram with a solid multicore cpu and a fucking 800$ monitor to enjoy the full 4K experience PC master race always touts. It costs ALOT of time, money and work to keep everything updated.

If people can pay 5-600 bucks for a pretty solid 4K gaming console that can also play UHD Blurays, they'll jump on it. Most people don't have the time money or patience to deal with building a pc and frankly just don't care enough to do it.

That's not saying having an awesome PC build isn't great because I've always loved building PCs and Ive had many, but most people including me would rather save the time and money and game on a console like the Scorpio or a PS4 pro and just be comfortable relaxing on their bed or couch or whatever.

Consoles are inherently FAR FAR better optimized and the hardware in the Scorpio will be able to achieve MUCH greater results than a similarly built pc. By a giant margin. It should be a pretty solid console, and I've always been a big Xbox person so I'll definitely pick one up. Most of my friends play on Xbox and I enjoy the Online play/ UI/ exclusives on Xbox much better than ps4 so that's why I dont play mine much.

For one, you so know that you can plug a PC into a 4K TV....right?

Second, the claim that consoles are far better optimized has been around for awhile, and it has never really panned out to better performance. As for the Scorpio, so far we see and example of one game that is a best case scenario. Even Microsoft admits that the new Forza will not run at 4K 60FPS. Optimization can make a difference, but it is not black magic.

Third, seeing that modern consoles get game and OS updates they are in the same boat as PCs. That and keeping things up dated is not hard at all.

Finally, you don't need two 1080's to run 4K, unless you are looking to run as max settings. Lower them a bit and even a RX480 can handle a lot of 4K games. People will buy the Scorpio there is no doubt. However not caring to put a PC together is simply an argument for being lazy.

Well... How many people honestly expect the Xbox Scorpio MSRP to be around $500? If you can't do "smooth, native 4K at 60+ fps" unless "you are spending 2-3k AT LEAST" then how much am I going to realistically spend for the Scorpio? If it's not packing the same hardware that the monster PC rig is offering, is it nothing more than a pipe dream to expect it to do Native 4K at 60fps? Have people sat down and asked themselves this?

Other than that, what is there to play on the system that I can't get anywhere else?

These are important questions because Microsoft doesn't have to convince the Xbox faithful. Those folks are already lining up. In order for them to close the 30 Million+ unit gap that Sony has on them, they've got to be able to convince casuals or lapsed gamers that they've got something they want. Considering that I can count their dedicated exclusive titles that are confirmed for this year on my fingers, I don't think they have a high chance of doing that.

For one, you so know that you can plug a PC into a 4K TV....right?

Second, the claim that consoles are far better optimized has been around for awhile, and it has never really panned out to better performance. As for the Scorpio, so far we see and example of one game that is a best case scenario. Even Microsoft admits that the new Forza will not run at 4K 60FPS. Optimization can make a difference, but it is not black magic.

Third, seeing that modern consoles get game and OS updates they are in the same boat as PCs. That and keeping things up dated is not hard at all.

Finally, you don't need two 1080's to run 4K, unless you are looking to run as max settings. Lower them a bit and even a RX480 can handle a lot of 4K games. People will buy the Scorpio there is no doubt. However not caring to put a PC together is simply an argument for being lazy.
-and how much do you think a decent 4k tv costs?
-its not a claim its a objective fact
- it absolutely will do 4k at 60 fps and they did in fact say & confirm that do you just not care enough to do any research?

"For demonstration purposes, Digital Foundry had Microsoft show off a demonstration of the Forza engine running a challenging scenario and found that the Scorpio was more than up to the task of delivering at 4K and 60 frames per second. The team used the original Xbox One as a benchmark of sorts: the Scorpio should be able to do at 4K what the Xbox One could do at 1080p, the logic goes. And for this title at least, that seemed to be true.

The team can push ForzaTech to the equivalent of PC's ultra-level settings and we're still sitting at 88 per cent GPU utilisation; in terms of system utilisation, this is ballpark with Xbox One at 1080p on its default settings. Clearly this is just one game, but the point is that Scorpio doesn't just scale Xbox One engines to 4K. For the Forza engine at least, there's overhead, and plenty of it."

"No doubt a bunch of 4K games will too, but for now Microsoft has shown just one: Forza. In tech demo shown to Digital Foundry, Microsoft demonstrated how Scorpio is able to run the game at a native 4K resolution, and at a locked 60FPS. While the demo was "basically an Xbox One port," that GPU utilisation was at 60-70 percent while it was running is an impressive feat nonetheless."

its been said many times. it can and will be 60fps.

running 4k games on one 480 is a joke and you either arent serious or dont know what youre talking about. I didnt think the conversation was about the shittiest possible way to run 4k on a pc.
is there a reason to run 4k at barely 30fps on medium settings with a monitor that cant handle it anyway? or some imaginary 100$ 4k tv?
Call it lazy all you want but the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of humans on earth do not have the time patience ability or money to build a pc, and its not a reason to attack them its just the way most people live.

you do what you want and enjoy and let everybody else do what they want. it isnt that complex.

fact is, like I said before, if you want to build an actual 4k gaming pc you are spending in the thousands. go on any builder forum, toms, wherever they will all tell you the same.

Well... How many people honestly expect the Xbox Scorpio MSRP to be around $500? If you can't do "smooth, native 4K at 60+ fps" unless "you are spending 2-3k AT LEAST" then how much am I going to realistically spend for the Scorpio? If it's not packing the same hardware that the monster PC rig is offering, is it nothing more than a pipe dream to expect it to do Native 4K at 60fps? Have people sat down and asked themselves this?

Other than that, what is there to play on the system that I can't get anywhere else?

These are important questions because Microsoft doesn't have to convince the Xbox faithful. Those folks are already lining up. In order for them to close the 30 Million+ unit gap that Sony has on them, they've got to be able to convince casuals or lapsed gamers that they've got something they want. Considering that I can count their dedicated exclusive titles that are confirmed for this year on my fingers, I don't think they have a high chance of doing that.
this console is quite obviously not meant close any sales gaps. its meant for a niche group of gamers like the PS4 pro that dont mind pay extra for better equipment. it will pull 4k 60fps on some titles, not all, some will be 30fps obviously or checkboarded. it will do that without that extra power because its a console, not a pc. simple

So it sounds like this is for poor people.

-and how much do you think a decent 4k tv costs?
-its not a claim its a objective fact
- it absolutely will do 4k at 60 fps and they did in fact say & confirm that do you just not care enough to do any research?

"For demonstration purposes, Digital Foundry had Microsoft show off a demonstration of the Forza engine running a challenging scenario and found that the Scorpio was more than up to the task of delivering at 4K and 60 frames per second. The team used the original Xbox One as a benchmark of sorts: the Scorpio should be able to do at 4K what the Xbox One could do at 1080p, the logic goes. And for this title at least, that seemed to be true.

The team can push ForzaTech to the equivalent of PC's ultra-level settings and we're still sitting at 88 per cent GPU utilisation; in terms of system utilisation, this is ballpark with Xbox One at 1080p on its default settings. Clearly this is just one game, but the point is that Scorpio doesn't just scale Xbox One engines to 4K. For the Forza engine at least, there's overhead, and plenty of it."

"No doubt a bunch of 4K games will too, but for now Microsoft has shown just one: Forza. In tech demo shown to Digital Foundry, Microsoft demonstrated how Scorpio is able to run the game at a native 4K resolution, and at a locked 60FPS. While the demo was "basically an Xbox One port," that GPU utilisation was at 60-70 percent while it was running is an impressive feat nonetheless."

its been said many times. it can and will be 60fps.

running 4k games on one 480 is a joke and you either arent serious or dont know what youre talking about. I didnt think the conversation was about the shittiest possible way to run 4k on a pc.
is there a reason to run 4k at barely 30fps on medium settings with a monitor that cant handle it anyway? or some imaginary 100$ 4k tv?
Call it lazy all you want but the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of humans on earth do not have the time patience ability or money to build a pc, and its not a reason to attack them its just the way most people live.

you do what you want and enjoy and let everybody else do what they want. it isnt that complex.

fact is, like I said before, if you want to build an actual 4k gaming pc you are spending in the thousands. go on any builder forum, toms, wherever they will all tell you the same.

I brought up TV's because you were complaining about the costs of 4K monitors. You want to play 4k with a Scorpio...then you are going to need one of those expensive 4K TVs as well.

Yes, they said one game will run 4K 60FPS. One game that loves AMD hardware and put less load on a GPU then most games and relies on more CPU, and can make use of more then four CPU threads. It is the best case scenario.

As far as the RX 480 at 4k yes you have to turn down setting, but it can get 30 FPS in some games at ultra settings, at medium it will easily do 60 FPS if you have to reduce it that far down. Now with this in mind and the fact that you need a GTX 1080Ti if you want a single card 4K Ultra 60 FPS GPU, and knowing that the Scorpio doe not come close to that power the idea that you are going to get 4K 60 and visual even sniffing Ultra on PC is laughable. Again optimization is not magic.

Next gen, both consoles will for sure be doing 60fps st high resolutions and then the PC dorks are going to say that 60 isn't enough and on and on we go.

But how much are they paying all together with in the same time frame as a console gamer? This is why the PC argument is shit when it comes to consoles.

Next gen, both consoles will for sure be doing 60fps st high resolutions and then the PC dorks are going to say that 60 isn't enough and on and on we go.

But how much are they paying all together with in the same time frame as a console gamer? This is why the PC argument is shit when it comes to consoles.

If that happens perhaps console gamers should not bite on that argument. More likely it will be pointed out that 60 FPS at 1080p has been an easy standard to meet on PC for a long time, and that meeting 4K is getting easier. Not to mention PC also has the in between of 1440p. I'm sure that it will also be pointed out that the ultimate argument for PC is the choices. It is nice not being locked into a set certain set of hardware, software and peripherals.

You also keep bringing up the cost. Yes some pay more then console players because they enjoy having the best hardware. However, again that is a choice. Many others will spend far less and still have more options, more games available and will be able to play with there friends online for free.

Would jump in but Forza alone ia not worth it. And all their other exclusives are mehh or get canceled.

Going to point out the most important aspect people are missing. Scorpio running games at 4k60 is really reliant on them programming for this particular setup. The most laughable part is this is also the company who has had almost non existent exclusives.

Point being you should expect non exclusives to run at 4k30 especially since this is the losing console and won't get as much attention optimization attention. Scorpio would matter a lot more if Microsoft had secured more big exclusive developers.

Needs games to backup that power. If third parties don't make their ports look any better than on a PS4 Pro, and if they don't get compelling exclusives that are jsut another Forza/Halo/Gears of War it won't matter, especially if the price is high.
I like some XB1 or XB1+PC exclusives, love the Dead Rising games, Sunset Overdrive is excellent, Re-Core, Killer Instinct is good even if it's not the same as the originals, and I'm looking forward to Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2, but that is a small pool.
Forza may run great (what racing game doesn't look great though), but Microsoft will be putting their all into making sure those launch window titles and their exclusives run the best they can on the Scorpio, but unless they pull a miracle at E3, they don't really have much in the way of exclusives.

I hope they do well as competition can bring out the best in companies, but they shouldn't just relay on the graphics whoring of the western world to sell the system.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-supports-freesync-and-hdmi-vrr
Last week, we published the hardware spec for Microsoft's next Xbox - Project Scorpio. However, there was one little detail we held back, an aspect of the new console we didn't want to get lost in the noise. In the here and now its applications will be limited, but in the fullness of time, it may help to bring about a profound shift in how displays interface with games hardware. To cut a long story short, Scorpio supports AMD's FreeSync - and the upcoming variable refresh rate support baked into the next-gen HDMI 2.1 spec.

So what's the big deal here? In an ideal world, every single console game would run at 60fps, perfectly sychronised with the refresh rate of the attached display. This would result in a super-smooth, low latency gameplay experience - something you can see in the here and now in titles including the Forza Motorsport series and Halo 5. However, if a game targets 60fps and doesn't consistently hit the target, the experience is compromised in one of two ways.

First of all, if the game runs with v-sync enabled, frames are dropped and this introduces noticeable judder - what's happening here is that the game only has a small window in which to synchronise with the screen. If a frame renders over its 1/60th of a second budget, the GPU stalls, waiting for the next refresh. Alternatively, the developer may simply decide to drop synchronisation with the screen - when this happens, highly intrusive, ugly screen-tearing kicks in.

Adaptive refresh technology like AMD's FreeSync completely eliminates tearing and reduces stutter significantly by allowing the GPU to trigger the display refresh instead of adhering to a hard and fast 60Hz cycle. Essentially, the screen produces the next image immediately after the GPU finishes rendering it. The technology was pioneered by Nvidia's G-Sync, but it's the open standard variants - FreeSync and the upcoming HDMI 2.1 implementation - that Scorpio aims to supports. In fact, Microsoft has actually implemented the FreeSync 2 standard, meaning compatibility with HDR and full support across the range of potential frame-rates. Paired with a supported screen, this will even eliminate tearing on games running with adaptive v-sync with frame-rates under 30fps, something not supported on most FreeSync 1 screens (VRR range varied on a per-screen basis, with 40Hz to 60Hz commonplace).

Last edited:

9GB for games
3GB for OS/Dashboard

Last edited:
I cant get why sony decided to do the pro without atleast 12-16 gig ram and the HDD blu ray player, I mean if you were going to charge more just add those specs, they basically just did minor tweaks to the pro.

I might buy one of these Scorpios, they look pretty good. I had an X1 but it was before they had stuff like backwards compatibility and the EA Vault. Ended up giving it away because I couldn't see the point of having an XBox and Playstation sub. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.