WRDL: Sign up sheet, Debate Topics & Scoreboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying that hanging the war around Lincoln's neck is bad analysis of a decades long and highly complicated series of events.
so again, Lincoln was totally powerless and their was nothing he could have done to stop the sides from going to war?

So he gets all the credit for ending slavery when in all actuality apparently he didnt do shit and things were set in motion that he had no control over?

so again, Lincoln was totally powerless and their was nothing he could have done to stop the sides from going to war?

So he gets all the credit for ending slavery when in all actuality apparently he didnt do shit and things were set in motion that he had no control over?
???

You just said, dont put the war on lincoln. WHY

He gets all the credit for the war and the outcome (im talking about in general society and school books)

Im still trying to get an answer from you, is there anything lincoln could have done to stop the war from happening?

Well, his attitude for stopping the spread of Southern interests westward was a huge factor. Also, I use tariffs because Lincoln promised the South and went as far as attempting to amend the Constitution to make slavery legal forever to prevent them from seceding. Yet, he would not let up on tariffs nor would he bend on letting new territories decide for themselves if they wanted to be free or slave states. He only had Northern business interests in mind and that was it.

And the South didn't lose because of Davis. They lost because they simply ran out of resources.

The Confederate leadership new all along they couldn't win the war on the battlefield. They just hoped to make it bad enough that the Northern people would force the Union leadership to compromise.
I think a question should be SHOULD WE CHANGE THE WAY WE TEACH THE CIVIL WAR IN SCHOOLS?

When I went to school, it was taught that the North loved black people and cared about them as people and wanted slavery to end, and then the mean ole south didn't. Then along came a Hero in Lincoln that freed the slaves!!!!! He sent men into battle because he cared about the black man and slavery.

You just said, dont put the war on lincoln. WHY

He gets all the credit for the war and the outcome (im talking about in general society and school books)

Im still trying to get an answer from you, is there anything lincoln could have done to stop the war from happening?
You're all over the place
Who gives him "all the credit"? What credit? For which actions? What books are you talking about?
I don't feel like you have understood any of my responses. Does it seem unreasonable to take a broad, nuanced view of a complex event instead of trying to pin it on a single person that emerged at the tail end?

@CableandThanos if we are going to continue this, let's move over to the debate thread itself (which is still around). I'd like to keep the topic/scoreboard thread mostly about those things as we go forward

You're all over the place
Who gives him "all the credit"? What credit? For which actions? What books are you talking about?
I don't feel like you have understood any of my responses. Does it seem unreasonable to take a broad, nuanced view of a complex event instead of trying to pin it on a single person that emerged at the tail end?
Gee I dont know ...how about all of society??? Hello, have you ever been to school in the last 30 years? All you hear about is the great hero Lincoln that rode in on his horse and freed the black man because he cared about slavery that much!!!!

The school system, the kids fro K-12, the general society at large. Have you ever had a conversation with just an average person off the street about this? The general idea is Lincoln freed the slaves becuase he hated slavery.

So YES Lincoiln gets all the credit for having a war OVER SLAVERY and freeing the slaves.

@CableandThanos if we are going to continue this, let's move over to the debate thread itself (which is still around). I'd like to keep the topic/scoreboard thread mostly about those things as we go forward
I dont care enough about it to continue, I just find it odd that you are acting like Lincoln was just a helpless soul in this situation who couldnt have done anyhting to stop the war. It was all out of his hands and he just let it play out.

I dont care enough about it to continue, I just find it odd that you are acting like Lincoln was just a helpless soul in this situation who couldnt have done anyhting to stop the war. It was all out of his hands and he just let it play out.
Well the thread is there if you want.

When did you become a mod?

This place is going to shit!
Or
Congrats!

Either/or.
Wait.....

I'm a mod?

X0UnxwW.gif

<GinJuice>

I think a question should be SHOULD WE CHANGE THE WAY WE TEACH THE CIVIL WAR IN SCHOOLS?

When I went to school, it was taught that the North loved black people and cared about them as people and wanted slavery to end, and then the mean ole south didn't. Then along came a Hero in Lincoln that freed the slaves!!!!! He sent men into battle because he cared about the black man and slavery.
I was taught the same thing. Most people you ask will say the same thing. Yes, it should be taught different in schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back