WRDL: Sign up sheet, Debate Topics & Scoreboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limbo Pete

Real History Man
@Steel
Reaction score
War Room Debate League

In order to streamline the Debate League process and start pairing off contenders more effectively, we're installing a sign up sheet and topic list/suggestion process. This will also serve as the scoreboard to tabulate victories, defeats and draws.

Below is a list of topics. Tag either myself, @Fawlty or @JDragon and we will add you to the debate pool. We will then pair people off based on their choices and announce debates as this moves along. That should help square things away more effectively.
Indicate which topics you'd be fine with debating and which position you'd take. We will then match discussion partners and set up debates. This will take the place of canvasing for interests and keeping a long list of them attached to each name.

If you and another person come to your own debate question and terms outside of what is available here, you aren't on the list, etc., simply message myself, Fawlty or JDragon. Just because something is not on the list doesn't mean we can't do it so long as the question and terms are specifically nailed down. The purpose of this whole thing is to simply make sure that us organizers don't have to rely on that.

For example, if you want to debate globalism and you're against it. You write "4 - against"
If you are comfortable taking affirmative or dissent, write "either"
You can choose multiple questions.

This is a working, rough list. The question pool will rotate based on debates occurring, questions being entirely unpopular, suggestions, etc. New overall topic ideas are great and suggestions for specific questions are what we really need. Current question pool is as follows:

1. President Trump will increase America's power and influence.
2. The United States should return to the Gold Standard
3. The rise of nationalism in Europe is a good thing.
4. Globalism is a force for good
5. The Iran Nuclear Treaty should be dissolved and remade -CLOSED JDragon/JudoThrowFiasco
6. Noncitizens living in the United States, including those not legally here, should be protected by the United States Constitution.
7. The South was justified in seceding from the Union
8. Roe v Wade should be upheld -CLOSED m52nickerson/Thurisaz
9. The US should put boots on the ground against ISIS
10. US economic policy should emphasize Laissez faire capitalism
11. Marijuana has medicinal benefit that warrants decriminalization nationally
12. There is no legal basis to ban assault weapons
*13. Secular debate on abortion
14. Institutional racism no longer exists in the United States -CLOSED Starman/Falsedawn
15. US Intervention is Cold War Latin America
16. The Death Penalty

**DEBATE IN PROGRESS:Intermission**

The current list of debate contenders is as follows:
@Jack V Savage --------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ------10 Ag ----- 2 Ag
@Greoric ------------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0
@ncordless ---------------------------------------- 0/0/0/1
@Cold Front --------------------------------------- 0/0/0/1
@Falsedawn -------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ----- 14 Ag ----- Confirmed
@Starman ----------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ----- 14 Aff ----- Confirmed
@Voodoo_Child906 ------------------------------ 0/0/0/0
@m52nickerson -----------------------------------1/0/0/0 ------ 8 Aff ----- Confirmed
@Thurisaz ------------------------------------------1/1/0/0 ----- 8 Ag ----- Confirmed
@Gandhi -------------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0
@Cubo de Sangre -------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ------ 11 Aff, 12 Aff
@meauneau ---------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0
@Amerikuracana ---------------------------------- 0/0/0/0
@Fawlty --------------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0
@nostradumbass ---------------------------------- 0/0/0/0
@HIMBOB -------------------------------------------0/0/0/0 ------ 1 Ag, 4 Aff
@Kafir-kun ------------------------------------------ 0/0/0/0 ------ 9 Ag
@Captain Davis ------------------------------------ 1/0/0/0
@JDragon ------------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ------ 5 Ag ----- Confirmed
@snakedafunky ------------------------------------- 0/1/0/0
@Quipling--------------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ------ 6 Aff
@JudoThrowFiasco -------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ------ 5 Aff ----- Confirmed
@Gutter Chris --------------------------------------- 0/1/0/0
@Phr3121 -------------------------------------------- 0/0/0/0 ----- 15 Ag

Key: 0/0/0/0 = Win, Loss, Draw, NC

Example post for someone that wants to debate:

@Limbo Pete
4 - against (Ag)
5 - affirmative (Aff)
7 - either (E)

When two parties are determined for a question and a debate is official, that question closes to prevent repetition.

The Docket of Upcoming Debates
1) US intervention in cold War Latin America

2) The Death Penalty

3) Falsedawn vs Starman : "Institutional racism no longer exists in the United States."

4) JDragon vs JudoThrowFiasco: "The Iran Nuclear Treaty should be dissolved and remade"

5) m52nickerson vs Thursaz II: :Roe v Wade should be upheld

The docket is a working order that is subject to change. Priority is given to contestants that haven't been part of a debate yet.

Those already on the list here (from the previous thread) are in the pool but should make a post indicating their question choices. I could probably match you up based on the previously stated interests but it's much more streamlined this way.

*Any debate question marked with an asterisk is of a particular nature/has particular details being worked out

Link to Debate League rules and procedures:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/126371787/

Last edited:
Just PM'd Fawlty about this yesterday. Wouldn't mind seeing #8 without religion being brought up. I feel like 3 and 4 could be part of the same debate, and I'm not sure Sherdoggers giving advice to NASA would be particularly interesting, and both the first 2 would probably have better debates a little further down the road.

Just PM'd Fawlty about this yesterday. Wouldn't mind seeing #8 without religion being brought up. I feel like 3 and 4 could be part of the same debate, and I'm not sure Sherdoggers giving advice to NASA would be particularly interesting, and both the first 2 would probably have better debates a little further down the road.
This deserves a special side note, for being an abortion debate on purely secular grounds. That part of the debate is genuinely interesting and worthwhile imo. Without religious bias there is a lot more room for exchange of ideas. I think @Rex Kwon Do would be happy to take up a secular argument against abortion.

If nobody takes else takes it up in the next couple rounds of debates, I would be happy to take the affirmative on putting boots on the ground against ISIS.

@Fawlty
9- Affirmative

I'm down to argue that an assault weapons ban is un-Constitutional or that marijuana is medicinally beneficial. I'd also take the pro-free speech side if some pro-censorship fuck wants to argue for shutting down the exchange of thoughts in some particular scenario.

I'm down to argue that an assault weapons ban is un-Constitutional or that marijuana is medicinally beneficial. I'd also take the pro-free speech side if some pro-censorship fuck wants to argue for shutting down the exchange of thoughts in some particular scenario.
I went ahead and reworked your questions slightly and and added them. I put you down as an "affirm" to both.

You blew it already. Nobody is going to admit to being pro-censorship, so you have to lure them in by calling their position "anti-hate speech", then attack their pro-censorship views after they've agreed to the debate.

Would be a decent debate about adding "hate crime" charges to already existing offenses imo.

I went ahead and reworked your questions slightly and and added them. I put you down as an "affirm" to both.

Thanks. Shit-talking aside, good work on this stuff.

You blew it already. Nobody is going to admit to being pro-censorship, so you have to lure them in by calling their position "anti-hate speech", then attack their pro-censorship views after they've agreed to the debate.

Would be a decent debate about adding "hate crime" charges to already existing offenses imo.

I'm not good with subtlety. :oops:

This deserves a special side note, for being an abortion debate on purely secular grounds. That part of the debate is genuinely interesting and worthwhile imo. Without religious bias there is a lot more room for exchange of ideas. I think @Rex Kwon Do would be happy to take up a secular argument against abortion.
Cool. Like I said, I prefer posting haphazardly from my phone while doing something else, but if Rex doesn't want it, I'm an anti-abortion atheist and could take a minute to throw an argument together if nobody else wants it.

@m52nickerson

9-Against

Lets get it on!
Accepted. Let's try to do it next month, or later this month, because a repeat debater vs an organizer is a little incestuous until after we have some more debates involving other people. Would love to do this one, because I'm actually open to changing my mind if my argument isn't strong enough.

I added "secular debate on abortion" but as a special topic as this a particular way of looking at a topic that others may very well typically want to debate in another capacity and can still do.

I closed question 9. Fawlty and nickerson will take that up at a later point.

Accepted. Let's try to do it next month, or later this month, because a repeat debater vs an organizer is a little incestuous until after we have some more debates involving other people. Would love to do this one, because I'm actually open to changing my mind if my argument isn't strong enough.

Agreed!

Cool. Like I said, I prefer posting haphazardly from my phone while doing something else, but if Rex doesn't want it, I'm an anti-abortion atheist and could take a minute to throw an argument together if nobody else wants it.
I added you to the pool as well. I think we can set up a secular abortion debate.

I'm up for theological debates, whether the Christian god exists; naturalism vs supernaturalism, theism vs atheism, miracles, etc.

Cant fucking wait for the next debate im drunk with fking a hard on. Pumped! Lets do it!

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back