WRDL: Sign up sheet, Debate Topics & Scoreboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up, i'm going to be on vacation mid march / have a few work events -- so may have to delay this one till april if thats cool. Not sure how fast the other debates ahead of me will go and was expecting to be further down the docket.

Cool with me. I actually never have time, so I will also be fine with prolonged reaction times if necessary.

oh, sorry -- for some reason i thought you worked in the nuclear regulation field

It was my field of specialization and I did some research work parallel to my studies. It is a couple years back though so it will be a cool debate for sure

@Kafir-kun, I'm not sure that I can defend my stated position on ISIS at this point, considering how well things have gone in the last few months. Plus our commander in chief is a disaster who now has to be taken very seriously on his pledge to steal from the Iraqi people. And Russia in Syria, and the tension with Iran, and other things.

I wish we could have had the debate about a year ago. I think my position from last year has simply been proven wrong, or close to it.

I'm still up for a debate though. I'm not sure where we disagree strongly on middle east topics. Do you have something else in mind?

@Kafir-kun, I'm not sure that I can defend my stated position on ISIS at this point, considering how well things have gone in the last few months. Plus our commander in chief is a disaster who now has to be taken very seriously on his pledge to steal from the Iraqi people. And Russia in Syria, and the tension with Iran, and other things.

I wish we could have had the debate about a year ago. I think my position from last year has simply been proven wrong, or close to it.

I'm still up for a debate though. I'm not sure where we disagree strongly on middle east topics. Do you have something else in mind?
I'll update the things when i'm off da phone

What about the merits of secular military rule vs democratic Islamist rule in the Middle East? Most people seem to disagree with me on that. Maybe we could use Egypt and/or Turkey as case studies?

@ncordless @Captain Davis @IppoMakanuchi
Ippo has replaced Ncordless as the opponent for Captain Davis in the topic 7 Civil war debate. He hasn't debated yet so gets priority there. This also moved the debate up one spot in the docket, but that can all be shuffled around if timing isn't good when it comes up.

I take it no one bit on the whole white privilege / black lives matter issue?

Updated records to reflect conclusion of the debate; both contestants awarded a NC.
Intermission while we prepare for the next round

Look at the OP, you blatherskite.

You're right. A topic that is simultaneously listed under the categories "in progress", "closed", and "upcoming" isn't confusing at all.

Appreciate the classy response, though. Cheers.

Last edited:
From here on in I will look for any opportunity to use blatherskite. Or try to be one. Outstanding!

Edit: spell check does not recognize blatherskite.

Last edited:
@IppoMakanuchi @Captain Davis
Given the interest and excitement both you guys and myself have for this debate, we've decided to bump it up to the top of the docket.
I'm unfortunately preoccupied with dead week/finals at teh moment, but i'd like to get this ball rolling soon as possible. Maybe the end of next week, or sooner if I can swing it.

The format for this debate will be a bit different.
I'm an aspiring historian by trade, and the civil war is really my jam. So i'd like to structure this debate to be more grounded in that regard. Here's what i'm going to do: Whenever I can get this started, I will provide both contestants with some historical documents relating to the topic. These documents will formulate the basis for your debate. You will need to compose your thesis at least in part based on them. The full details of the format will be made very clear and you will also both be presented the documents in advance of opening.
Let me know if the rough timetable will cause any scheduling conflicts and we will work around it.

Given the interest and excitement both you guys and myself have for this debate, we've decided to bump it up to the top of the docket.
I'm unfortunately preoccupied with dead week/finals at teh moment, but i'd like to get this ball rolling soon as possible. Maybe the end of next week, or sooner if I can swing it.

The format for this debate will be a bit different.
I'm an aspiring historian by trade, and the civil war is really my jam. So i'd like to structure this debate to be more grounded in that regard. Here's what i'm going to do: Whenever I can get this started, I will provide both contestants with some historical documents relating to the topic. These documents will formulate the basis for your debate. You will need to compose your thesis at least in part based on them. The full details of the format will be made very clear and you will also both be presented the documents in advance of opening.
Let me know if the rough timetable will cause any scheduling conflicts and we will work around it.

This completely changes the game but fuck it.

I'm gona frag that bitch either way.

Dick move.
25krk87.jpg

I take it no one bit on the whole white privilege / black lives matter issue?
Which stance? That white privilege is a thing or it's not?

I still would like for @Fawlty or @Limbo Pete to maybe contact a mod and we could maybe put together some kind of betting pool the debaters could skim off or some small prize to make the effort of the debaters worth the time of the people doing them.

Just realized the front of the docket participant got banned. The momentum is non-existent right now. When is the next debate scheduled?

Just realized the front of the docket participant got banned. The momentum is non-existent right now. When is the next debate scheduled?

God dammit
Well, maybe I can find someone else to take his place. I have been prepping for this debate just got bogged down with the end of the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back