Would Big John dare disqualify Jon for eye pokes?

No unless it was a very obviously intentional and extreme eye poke.

All of Jon Jones' eye pokes to this day were intentional, and so is %90 of the eye pokes in MMA history

Was it his decision to open up his fingers? Yes.

Was it his decision to point his hand towards his eyes? Yes.

There you go, how can it be unintentional... lol

I would like to see some consistency from referees when it comes to eye pokes and fence grabbing.
Even if that means some fight have to end by DQ.
Just follow the rules with some kind of consistency.

A fence grab that stops a takedown should be an automatic point deduction. No warning. I think that is a no-brainer.
I agree. There's simply no reason not to grab it especially if you're going to be taken to the ground. Refs never take a point for it and Aldo ended up KOing Money Mendes off a cage grab that stopped a slam.

The problem is BJM won't let Jones keep his hand out with fingers extended the whole time. Jones and his team know this. Jones complained about the kick Victor threw at him in their fight to Big John but if the shot doesn't land no foul has occurred.

Jones even said that he and BJM didn't have good chemistry good flow. Dude who fuckin cares lol, the man is the ref not some co-worker or friend of yours. Let him do his job and you do yours. Basically it is Jones and his team looking for an edge. They don't want to see a point deduction in what might be a close fight.

I agree with your summation but I don't blame athletes for trying to get the best advantage they can, i.e., a change of ref, or a change of venue. If I was fighting GSP I wouldn't want to do it in Canada. Funny thing about Jones is he is almost an enigma. He is an athlete yet a party animal, he is maybe the best ever, but has under-trained historically, he projects himself coming from a religious family background, but has trouble with the law.

Inadvertent eye-pokes happen in MMA constantly. There is a collage of Gus eye-pokes around somewhere showing how many fighters he has eye poked. People focus in on Bones because its a bit of the hater factor. He's so good and such a heel that people love to yell "booo" and throw rotten tomatoes at him. DC might win this rematch but I have a feeling Jon is going to punish him this time. I don't think there is going to be any doubts about who is better when the dust settles at UFC 200. (Unless DC wins and then of course we are looking at a GUARANTEED rubber match, THE rubber match of all time IMO.)

I want DC to beat his ass but at the same time it would be pretty hilarious if Jones pokes points off his scorecard and loses that way too :p

I agree. There's simply no reason not to grab it especially if you're going to be taken to the ground. Refs never take a point for it and Aldo ended up KOing Money Mendes off a cage grab that stopped a slam.

Exactly. And it isn't like a fighter can claim that it wasn't intentional, like a groin strike or an eyepoke..

No need to DQ, just take a damn point every time he trows an eyepoke, starting from the first one. No matter if looks unintentional.
I want to see the same desperate Bones that knows is losing a fight, the same that chocked Machida and Hellbowed Gus. That desperate Bones is P4P king.

I agree with your summation but I don't blame athletes for trying to get the best advantage they can, i.e., a change of ref, or a change of venue. If I was fighting GSP I wouldn't want to do it in Canada. Funny thing about Jones is he is almost an enigma. He is an athlete yet a party animal, he is maybe the best ever, but has under-trained historically, he projects himself coming from a religious family background, but has trouble with the law.

Inadvertent eye-pokes happen in MMA constantly. There is a collage of Gus eye-pokes around somewhere showing how many fighters he has eye poked. People focus in on Bones because its a bit of the hater factor. He's so good and such a heel that people love to yell "booo" and throw rotten tomatoes at him. DC might win this rematch but I have a feeling Jon is going to punish him this time. I don't think there is going to be any doubts about who is better when the dust settles at UFC 200. (Unless DC wins and then of course we are looking at a GUARANTEED rubber match, THE rubber match of all time IMO.)
I agree with your sentiment there's some truth to that. I just don't like him having his lead hand open the entire time with fingers pointed straigh out. The problem with that is it actually leads to unintentional pokes because his opponents run into them trying to close the distance. No place for that crap keep your fingers pointed toward the sky if you want to parry/intercept strikes.

Maybe if he gouges Cormiers eye out of his socket...

Exactly. And it isn't like a fighter can claim that it wasn't intentional, like a groin strike or an eyepoke..
I'm probably in the minority here and I'm not an Aldo hater but that first fight should probably have been a no contest. The knee KO stemmed directly from a foul. If a fighter cannot continue from an illegal strike or foul that is grounds for a DQ. I think it should have been ruled a no contest, that knee doesn't happen right then and there without the fence grab that came immediately before.

I wonder if it’s tactical… for example: Maybe Jonez & team felt like Big John waz trigger happy for taking a point away for the eye poke… so they make this big controversy about it just before the fight. Now, if Big John doez take that point… they can say it’s BS & John only did it because of their protest.

The protest also gets in Big John’z head too… maybe it makes him less trigger happy to take dat point. I personally want to see the points taken from guyz who fight with fingerz straight out when it results in an eye poke.
Yeah very true, it all seems like mind games and to try to put him off from taking a point or warning. the crazy thing was the other fight was suppose to have Herb as the ref and Cormier was complaining and wanted him to be removed from it.

DrDyHI2.gif

Also lets not forget that Big John knocked Aldo out cold with a knee too.

Conor vs Aldo UFC 194 - No Contest
Big John vs Aldo UFC 194 - Big John wins by KO (Knee) 0:13 (round 1).

I agree with your sentiment there's some truth to that. I just don't like him having his lead hand open the entire time with fingers pointed straigh out. The problem with that is it actually leads to unintentional pokes because his opponents run into them trying to close the distance. No place for that crap keep your fingers pointed toward the sky if you want to parry/intercept strikes.

How many times did he poke OSP in route to a 50-45 where he body slammed OSP 3 times and broke his arm? You would actually have to enact a rule change because Bones isn't breaking any rules by using an outstretched hand to measure distance. I'm not sure the "rules makers" are willing to do that.

When you have fighters committing the same foul across multiple fights (eye pokes, groin shots, fence grabbing) I think the referees have every right to issue a heads up before the fight that it won't be tolerated.

DC Loves being champ so bad, he'll run into those fingers

i actually like this idea. if jones can be let off with his massive eyeball collection, i think dc is entitled to one bitch move. its no less disingenuous than what jones does, with the exception that jones has done it over and over throughout his career, whereas this wld be a first offence for cormier

soon Jones will be knuckles deep in dcs head

DrDyHI2.gif

Also lets not forget that Big John knocked Aldo out cold with a knee too.

Conor vs Aldo UFC 194 - No Contest
Big John vs Aldo UFC 194 - Big John wins by KO (Knee) 0:13 (round 1).
Haha... I hear ya... & great clip... BUT

He waz all ready stopping the fight... so it's a wrap on that one... even if John did finish him off!

How many times did he poke OSP in route to a 50-45 where he body slammed OSP 3 times and broke his arm? You would actually have to enact a rule change because Bones isn't breaking any rules by using an outstretched hand to measure distance. I'm not sure the "rules makers" are willing to do that.

Interesting idea, maybe it's time for the commission to review the issue and see if a practical rule change is warranted/can be made.

i actually like this idea. if jones can be let off with his massive eyeball collection, i think dc is entitled to one bitch move. its no less disingenuous than what jones does, with the exception that jones has done it over and over throughout his career, whereas this wld be a first offence for cormier

soon Jones will be knuckles deep in dcs head
Can't say I disagree with what you're saying... but damn what an anti-climactic way to end the biggest card of all time!

mad cat.jpg

Haha... I hear ya... & great clip... BUT

He waz all ready stopping the fight... so it's a wrap on that one... even if John did finish him off!
haha you are cruel man, taking away Big Johns biggest win of his career!!. such a beautifully timed knee too, didn't even need to time it or nothing, just fall on Aldo, haha what skill.

I would like to see some consistency from referees when it comes to eye pokes and fence grabbing.
Even if that means some fight have to end by DQ.
Just follow the rules with some kind of consistency.

I'm wondering if the referees are afraid of the commission not backing them up? I definitely agree that there needs to be consistency and quite possibly some rule changes.

I don't think that a rule change would necessarily be needed. The ref just has to tell the fighter that if he is going to fight with his fingers extended, then he will lose a point for the first eyepoke. The ref already has the power to take a point at his discretion, so that would not be overstepping his authority. The initial statement would be considered the warning.

Back