Worst mistake in UFC fight

Jones/Hammil with the 12-6 elbows. He could have been an undefeated fighter.
Ronda/Cat - Cat rushing in with a running knee and instantly getting taken down and subbed. Considering Cat had her way with Nunes, he could have beaten Ronda if she fought smart.
Yan/Aljo - Just a bizarre move. He knew he was down and still threw the knee like he just wanted to hurt him and get DQ'ed. Meathead move.
Fedor/Werdum - This one is a little easier to forgive because I think he thought Werdum was hurt. But playing in his guard is not something you should do. I think Fedor was stubborn because it worked on Nog.
Fedor/Hendo - This one hurt the most to me. Despite losing back to back fights because of being overly aggressive and fighting like a brawler, he did the exact same thing against Hendo. He immediately charged after him and while he almost KO'ed Hendo at one point, it was just too chaotic and someone was going to go out. Fedor could have easily won that fight with patience.

How about the 12-to-6 elbow on Matt Hamill? Truly one of the true tests of our faith in our savior Saint Jones, wherein one finds true devotion by recognizing that that was merely the simple offshoot of the erroneous ways by which we mere mortals decide combat.
That's actually a great choice/example for this this thread
Although I believe our almighty lord and savior Saint Jones did those illegal elbows on purpose because his heart is filled with so much joy and peacefulness that he wanted to award Matt Hammill the victory.

Of course right after the fight we know Saint Jones was by Matt's hospital bed, reading him a bible verse and praying for him

Saint Jones was by Matt's hospital bed, reading him a bible verse and praying for him
hGCzJ.gif

CM Punk debuting in the UFC was a mistake. Should have fought early, get some experience and fights at a lower level. Work is way up. Instead made a fool of himself.

I remember that Bamgbose guy refusing to engage for a whole fight with his corner screaming at him and when he finally did he got kneed into Bolivian. Shot was hilarious.

Reactions: HHJ
Saw this on another sight and thought is was interesting. Lot's of critique on fight IQ on Sherdog; lots of tactical errors from fighters over the years. This is indeed one of the biggest. What do you got?
View attachment 1019801
Weidman’s spinning kick vs Rocksalt.
Valentina’s spinning kick vs Grasso.
Sonnen’s spinning backfist vs Silva.

You get the idea.

It's definitely Rockhard vs The Chris. Was a close fight, and momentum was in Chris's favor.

And then the kick happened...

Teh spinning kick of teh Chris is the first thing that comes to mind.

Gotta be Cat Zingano thinking that a running flying knee straight into clinch wrestling was the appropriate move to use against Ronda Rousey, after all the clinch to armbars she had witnessed. Or Randa Markos deciding to jump into the guard of Mackenzie Dern after she slipped.

it’s hard to say a fighter made a “mistake” when they’re actually in the fight, making split-second decisions, and dealing with their own limitations (e.g., being hurt or tired). i could only truly call it a mistake if common sense would have prevented it. here’s a short list of recent mistakes that come to mind:

1. it’s a bit counterintuitive given the result of the fight, but leon’s decision to go for a sub on colby in the last round was pretty ill-advised. he gave away around for no reason and spent the remainder of the fight defending sub attempts. leon’s fans may forgive him, but i’m sure leon’s coaches were pissed.

2. on that note, nate’s decision to point and taunt after rocking leon in the final moments of their fight was very ill-advised. it’s always dumb when nate does this, but given the stakes of the fight for leon and the timing of the incident, it really highlights just how bad nate’s decision was.

3. probably the biggest bonehead move was when ion cutelaba pretended to be badly rocked by ankalaev, which prompted the ref to stop the fight. spoiler alert: if you act like you’re about to get knocked unconscious in a fight, the ref will assume you’re about to be knocked unconscious, then step in to save you.

bonus: michel pereira tiring himself out doing capoeira and fancy gymnastics stunts, then losing the fight as a result. i appreciate he does it for entertainment, but that’s still kind of an embarrassing reason to lose.

Back