Working 60+ hours per week

I'm buying out the company that I work for and a significant portion of my pay is profit sharing. I can work as many hours as I want chasing the profit. I still only do 45 hours at most unless I have a huge job going on. I just value my time more, plus I think it sets up unrealistic long term expectations.

The owner of our company also owns another company with someone in the same situation buying it out. It's not near as profitable, and the person buying out works 60+ a week. Since this arrangement, he got divorced. He honestly seems miserable a lot of the time.

The most important thing in your life is happiness, health, and your family. Working 60+ hours hinders all of that IMO.

Not to mention that his child support / and or alimony is going to be calculated off of his OT inflated wage . He's most likely managed to shoot himself in the foot twice.

Edit : sounds like he's probably not paying himself hourly so the child support point is probably irrelevant. Still 60 hrs a week is a recipe for a failed home life.

Max i ever worked was 80 a week for about 3 months. 40 of that was at overtime but i made shit si it wasn't like i was balling.

Worked about 45-50 hours most of my life and the vast majority of that time studying as well.

Most i've ever done is 45. Usually I do about 30 to 35 a week.

My next job (fire department) you live at the station for 24 hours and then you get 48 hours off which i think is the best schedule you could ever work (you got 4 to 5 full days off a week).

Technically its about 55 hours a week (ten 24 hour shifts a month) but you save a couple hours a week not having to commute everyday and about 10 to 15 of those hours per week is sleeping which is something you where going to do regardless so those hours aren't interfering with your free time.

Wouldn't you be better off putting the $75K in a mutual fund?

Depends.
House is leveraged so he has a 175k investment working for him. Of course leverage only helps if it appreciates at a rate higher than the interest.

Biggest factor is which grows quicker and there are no guarantees on either side.

Youre taking a blind gamble , a roll of the dice that can easily go either way and shit all over your well laid plans. I've got a good buddy (38) , that's waiting on some biopsy results from a colonoscopy he had done on Friday. He's been sick as shit for the past 2 weeks , and healthy as a horse before. I'm sure his perspective at the moment would make one a little less comfortable about writing off the next 40 years as a given.

Obviously you gotta do what you need to to meet your needs and eat , but I think a lot of people don't really put a lot of thought into what that actually means.

To many " This boat , this new Yukon , this 6k vacation and this $250 cable bill , and this $800 iphone ain't gonna pay for itself." = doing what you gotta do.

I have a brother and sister who lived for the moment. Money was something to spend. Then they reached a point in their 50s where they were no longer employed and had no money. They borrowed money from my parents with no way to pay it back. They got money when my parents died but went through that in a hurry. They made it to retirement age but didn't have much income while working so they collect minimum Social Security and no savings or pensions.

Most i've ever done is 45. Usually I do about 30 to 35 a week.

My next job (fire department) you live at the station for 24 hours and then you get 48 hours off which i think is the best schedule you could ever work (you got 4 to 5 full days off a week).

Technically its about 55 hours a week (ten 24 hour shifts a month) but you save a couple hours a week not having to commute everyday and about 10 to 15 of those hours per week is sleeping which is something you where going to do regardless so those hours aren't interfering with your free time.
That sounds fucking badass. I would totally do that.

I prefer long shifts.. If i could work two 20 hour shifts a week and have the rest off that would be ideal

I have a brother and sister who lived for the moment. Money was something to spend. Then they reached a point in their 50s where they were no longer employed and had no money. They borrowed money from my parents with no way to pay it back. They got money when my parents died but went through that in a hurry. They made it to retirement age but didn't have much income while working so they collect minimum Social Security and no savings or pensions.

Great , thats not at all what I'm advocating but thanks for coming out !

Im thinking of upping my hours to 60 a week minimum for the money, if i do it i will be able to save up roughly $1250 per month. If i do that for a full year i would have 15k dollars, which sounds nice if i can think of how to parlay that money into something bigger such as another property etc.? Who does this, why, and how doable and sustainable is it?

Are you married? Will you be working weekends? When I was in the military there was a period in 2003 where I was working 84 hours a week to include Saturday and Sunday. It worn me out after the 6th month. I was burnt out after 12 months. I was doing the job of 3 people. Same pay. I was single at the time but if I had been married, I'm sure my wife would not have been happy.

I agree, but the odds are that an American will live to almost 79 years old. I do not want to be broke, so I work so that I can save for my future. That requires sacrifice and unfortunately that comes at the expense of time with my family, friends, hobbies, etc. I do not think working so you can own a bunch of things is great.

What future? Your kids are going to be grown. Your friends are going to be dying off. Your body is going to decay and you're not going to want to do much except hang around and go out for brunch with loved ones.

You're wasting the prime years of your life. When I hang around my elder relatives they don't spend their time talking about how their lives are so amazing. They spend it reminiscing on the past. When you are that age, what are you going to be looking back on?

You asked for advice. I have no advice that would be applicable to someone who's life is so devoid of enjoyment or stimulation that he'd rather be at work.....its just not relatable to me or most people I'd imagine.

Besides if you feel that way , I guess your question is null anyway. Get back to work imo

Find employment doing something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Are you married? Will you be working weekends? When I was in the military there was a period in 2003 where I was working 84 hours a week to include Saturday and Sunday. It worn me out after the 6th month. I was burnt out after 12 months. I was doing the job of 3 people. Same pay. I was single at the time but if I had been married, I'm sure my wife would not have been happy.

Not married I'm single

I will work every weekend, through choice as it's even more money

I imagine I could get burned out too. But if I remember the bigger picture. I would have atleast 75k after 5 years. Buy a second property and rent it out and then become the real life monopoly man

That isnt advice, just a totally useless statement

How about explaining how to accumulate wealth without working very hard ?

Marry a woman with money.

What future? Your kids are going to be grown. Your friends are going to be dying off. Your body is going to decay and you're not going to want to do much except hang around and go out for brunch with loved ones.

You're wasting the prime years of your life.

What do you suggest he should be doing otherwise during the prime of his life ?

Better to work hard now than to struggle when your old

Being old and poor is legitimately one of the scariest thoughts there is. Imagine being old in a little one bed flat eating beans out of a tin wrapped in 2 blankets b3 cause the heating is too expensive. Extreme example but it happens

Better to be old and rich

You can do everything you want to do when you're old and rich. Prime is a myth, for sports yeah you must do most when young but nothing else

Depends.
House is leveraged so he has a 175k investment working for him. Of course leverage only helps if it appreciates at a rate higher than the interest.

Biggest factor is which grows quicker and there are no guarantees on either side.

Stocks and real estate compliment each other nicely , too much of one and none of the other is bad juju imo.

The great thing about rentals is you can liquidate your dividends and repurpose them as you see fit and still have your initial investment chugging along at 3.5 -5.5 %. Also , a house will never be worth nothing ( detroit excepted) .
Find employment doing something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Thats true , but I'd also wager less than 10% of working people actually " love " what they do.
Most people given the option would go with living by their own leave over punching a clock.

What do you do? Do you love it ?

I imagine I could get burned out too. But if I remember the bigger picture. I would have atleast 75k after 5 years. Buy a second property and rent it out and then become the real life monopoly man

Yes, but a lot can change in 5 years. Things you can't control at work. Do it for a year and see how it feels.

Not to mention that his child support / and or alimony is going to be calculated off of his OT inflated wage . He's most likely managed to shoot himself in the foot twice.

Edit : sounds like he's probably not paying himself hourly so the child support point is probably irrelevant. Still 60 hrs a week is a recipe for a failed home life.

Nah, you are right. It is an issue. She has petitioned for a reevaluation a few times. It is income that shows up on his year to date earnings on the pay stub. We get profit shares each quarter.

The irony is that he switched professions to jump into this career because they wanted more money as a family. In the end, it sounds like it contributed to the divorce. He has two young kids also. It's a shitty situation.

On another note, I'd absolutely hate working 60+ even more at a slow paced job. Slow days at work feel like they drain me more than the busy ones for some reason.

Back