Working 60+ hours per week

People have a big misunderstanding of rental properties. You'd be recouping your investment for a long time. Rentals are more of a long term investment.

Misquote
You're lying out of your ass. Not even methheads can put in those kinds of hours in a labouring job.

Its not uncommon. I used to work as an outside tech for Verizon , and after some major weather events we'd be balls out for weeks at a time , I hit around 90 a few times . Its not something you can sustain for long.

I also have a buddy that's in commercial plumbing and I know he has 80 hr weeks sometimes.

Misquote

Its not uncommon. I used to work as an outside tech for Verizon , and after some major weather events we'd be balls out for weeks at a time , I hit around 90 a few times . Its not something you can sustain for long.

I also have a buddy that's in commercial plumbing and I know he has 80 hr weeks sometimes.
A one off 80 hour week is different from regularly working 80-100 hours a week. In my line of work most would be completely stuffed putting in over 45 hours.

With 75k down and a 100k mortgage which will be low rate, then rent out the bedrooms separately

It will be paying off the mortgage yeah but there will be a small amount left over

The main point being someone is paying off a mortgage and in the future I will have a free house paid for by other people which is a prudent move

Wouldn't you be better off putting the $75K in a mutual fund?

2000 a month did you miss type or are you in a low wage country?
Please don't take that as me belittling you or your country just curious.

Most people there live off of $200 a month... Or less.

But it's a lovely place. Bali is gorgeous, the people are the friendliest I've encountered, and the weather is... Wow

Cash is always king. For many years I had a deal with a dealership buddy. I would work 9-4. I would get 100 in cash to show and 200 in cash for every car I sold. I averaged 2 a Saturday so 450 every Saturday for easy work. I used that money for spending and vacations, clothes etc. didn't hit my ATM for years. I miss that

Retire and do what?

I will do something part time that brings in cash like Bar Tend or sell cars. My wife and I want to buy a duplex on a beach and rent out one floor. That rent pays taxes. House will be paid off. Also want to travel.

I'd work more hours if I wasn't salary.

I try not work more than 45 hours a week, otherwise I'd be losing money.

If you dont do it and dont have the option, would you do it if the option was there
Nope. My spare time is worth more to me than extra money. I work just short of 40 hours/week and I'd like very much for my economy to handle cutting those hours in half. Sadly it doesn't yet.

A one off 80 hour week is different from regularly working 80-100 hours a week. In my line of work most would be completely stuffed putting in over 45 hours.

You obviously aren't gonna be humping shingles up on a roof for 90 hours a week. But we most certainly busted our fucking asses , hanging drops , rehanging cables , ECT ECT. Youre gonna have some inevitable non productive time cranking out those hours , but it was very taxing and often for several week stretches. Hurricane Isabel being the worst one I worked through.

Last edited by a moderator:
2000 a month did you miss type or are you in a low wage country?
Please don't take that as me belittling you or your country just curious.

Most people there live off of $200 a month... Or less.

But it's a lovely place. Bali is gorgeous, the people are the friendliest I've encountered, and the weather is... Wow
I will do something part time that brings in cash like Bar Tend or sell cars. My wife and I want to buy a duplex on a beach and rent out one floor. That rent pays taxes. House will be paid off. Also want to travel.

Very pragmatic approach.
You must have a lot of patience, and a clear vision I see. I can admire that.

I work 60 hours weekly sometimes more, been doing this for years. I'm also single and like to buy shit when I want it. That bejng said if I'm not working I'm not doing a lot of other shit because I'm in recovery from alcohol. I find it to be good for me because downtime leads to boredom sometimes. I also think my addictive personality kicks in when it comes to money. I enjoy working a shit load.

What us it you work as and how old are you ?

Do you save money on a monthly basis ?

You obviously aren't gonna be humping shingles up on a roof for 90 hours a week. But we most certainly busted our fucking asses , hanging drops , rehabbing cables , ECT ECT. Youre gonna have some inevitable non productive time cranking out those hours , but it was very taxing and often for several week stretches. Hurricane Isabel being the worst one I worked through.
Sounds like a cruisy job

Sounds like a cruisy job

It wasn't bad . It was a union job so the benefits and pay were pretty good for the type of work. Full zero cost to me healthcare and I was making $34 an hour I think when I left about 7 -8 years ago. After 49 hours the OT rate would go from time and a half to double time. I still have lots of friends that work there , they work tons of hours and some get up into the 140s range. That said , I hated the politics and the hand holding . Being a union company there was a very hostile/ adversarial relationship between management and labor. Took a package to leave in 2010 and never looked back.

Nope. My spare time is worth more to me than extra money. I work just short of 40 hours/week and I'd like very much for my economy to handle cutting those hours in half. Sadly it doesn't yet.

What do you do in your spare time ?

When I had my own buisness I worked 11am-3am 4 days a week, and 11am-10pm the other 3.

For 3 years straight.. and it was working in a food truck in Texas, no a.c. and I did it completely on my own. My roommate is in construction and easily works 70 each week. I think you're delusional

When I had my own buisness I worked 11am-3am 4 days a week, and 11am-10pm the other 3.

For 3 years straight.. and it was working in a food truck in Texas, no a.c. and I did it completely on my own. My roommate is in construction and easily works 70 each week. I think you're delusional
cooking is not hard on the body and like the other guy al gorithim said he worked "80 hours a week" but when he did he had significant down time on the job to pad those hours. I work as a rope access technician on high rise buildings and technical roofs doing real man's work. Working more than 45+ hour work weeks will catch up to you real quick. You wouldnt survive a day doing what I do, boy. Now sit down and shut up.

I'm buying out the company that I work for and a significant portion of my pay is profit sharing. I can work as many hours as I want chasing the profit. I still only do 45 hours at most unless I have a huge job going on. I just value my time more, plus I think it sets up unrealistic long term expectations.

The owner of our company also owns another company with someone in the same situation buying it out. It's not near as profitable, and the person buying out works 60+ a week. Since this arrangement, he got divorced. He honestly seems miserable a lot of the time.

The most important thing in your life is happiness, health, and your family. Working 60+ hours hinders all of that IMO.

Put the extra money straight into savings. Better yet see if your payroll will do it.

Trust me on this.

cooking is not hard on the body and like the other guy al gorithim said he worked "80 hours a week" but when he did he had significant down time on the job to pad those hours. I work as a rope access technician on high rise buildings and technical roofs doing real man's work. Working more than 45+ hour work weeks will catch up to you real quick. You wouldnt survive a day doing what I do, boy. Now sit down and shut up.
I didn't say it was, I specifically mentioned my roommate in construction that works alot more than 45 hours a week. Just because you can't play tight rope for 80 hours doesn't mean other people can't.

Back