Wonderboy Thompson vs The Immortal Brown

Thompson would have beaten brown if he would have a better gas tank. IMHO.

Precisely!!. He almost finished brown TWICE with strikes he just couldn't muster the energy to get that last good punch or kick in.

With the TDD aside it would be interesting to see how he does going in with much better cardio.

His defense is his head movement and footwork, the same as Silva and Machida. I think he's wrong for not keeping his hands up as a plan B, but it is effective, and maybe this loss will teach him MMA requires a plan B.

Edit: BTW, karatestylist, what is your issue with focus mitts? Why do you think they give people bad habits?

I didn't mean Thompson's striking defense, he was dodging Brown's ineffective punching like Wonderboy was in The Matrix. I mean his takedown defense. When I see Brown setting up for takedowns before Thompson does, there's a problem.

Also, just try and avoid KarateStylist. The majority of the message board has him on ignore.

Thompson would have beaten brown if he would have a better gas tank. IMHO.
Precisely!!. He almost finished brown TWICE with strikes he just couldn't muster the energy to get that last good punch or kick in.
With the TDD aside it would be interesting to see how he does going in with much better cardio.

The cardio you need while standing is totally different from the cardio you need while rolling. I was listening to Mercer and Toney talk to Bas about grappling, they said it was exhausting, and these guys are professional boxers who go ten to twelve rounds.

That being said, I think one of Thompsons' problems was that his boxing was, eh, it wasn't as spectacular as I expected from such a master-level American kickboxer. Not that Brown could stop shit anyway, but Wonderboy's bread an butter is still his straights, the uppercuts and hooks were still sloppy and he didn't throw them enough. Brown knew what to brace for, and Wonderboy was too hesitant to throw any of his KO kicks in fear of being taken down (which turned out to be a totally valid fear).

the only thing that impressed me about wonderboy was he took a beating better than i expected ,, his kicks were weak , his punching combinations were 1-2 , no take down defense at all , no ground game at all , the only thing he did good was get back up after the take down ... matt brown made wonderboy look good by gassing out , any other welterweight in the ufc would make short work of him ,,,, sorry to be so harsh on the guy but there was nothing about the guy that deserved his hype

before the fight i thought matt brown was a bad match up for the wonderboy , now after seeing the fight and reviewing the ufc welterweight roster , anyone else in the welterweight division would have raped him ,, the ufc gave him brown to keep the hype train going (maybe to make gsp happy )

che mills was destroyed by mac donald ,, but could you imagine what mills would have done to wonderboy ...

Last edited:
The bolded part is exactly what I thought about this fight. Yes, Matt Brown did win decisively - with takedowns and a bit of GnP - but there was little he could offer on his feet and all that talk about MT > Karate was pure bullshit on his part. :mad:

A am a bit disappointed with Thompson - not by the lack of a ground game (I expected that) but by the way he gassed so bad. I know that being on the bottom is very tiring but if WB was in better shape he could really go for the KO when he had the chance mid-round 2 and 3.

But win or lose, still a fan. Go Wonderboy!

The bullshit is on your part. Matt Brown dropped Wonderboy hard in the fight.

Not a chance. Brown beat the gas out of him.

che mills was destroyed by mac donald ,, but could you imagine what mills would have done to wonderboy ...

Lose. What the hell was more impressive about Che than Wonderboy? Che got his ass taken down and rained upon because he had little to no TDD himself. Rogan is slurping Che hard, but I've watched his previous fights, he doesn't impress me too much. He mostly fought slow, sloppy opponents. Zaromskis is the BEST WIN for Che to date, that's saying something.

Don't believe Rogan's hype. Che needs as much work as Wonderboy does.

Lose. What the hell was more impressive about Che than Wonderboy? Che got his ass taken down and rained upon because he had little to no TDD himself. Rogan is slurping Che hard, but I've watched his previous fights, he doesn't impress me too much. He mostly fought slow, sloppy opponents. Zaromskis is the BEST WIN for Che to date, that's saying something.

Don't believe Rogan's hype. Che needs as much work as Wonderboy does.

che looked bad because of mac donald was so good ,, granted rogan hypes him up too , but it wasnt matt brown that made wonderboy look bad , wonderboy was given the opportunity to knock out brown numerous times ,,, che was outclassed the whole fight , macdonald didnt gas , and staggar around , and give any openings ,,, matt did ,

besides i randomly used che as a welterweight name, change matt browns name with any other on the ufc roster and you will get the same outcome ,,, wonderboy is a one trick pony ,

i would have loved to see a tma guy go in there and dominate just like machida represents karate ,, wonderboy is now carrying karates flag (by rogans commentary )and i dont think he represents it well ,,,
he should carry the american kickboxing flag , not karates ,,, and matt brown should not be touting muay thai , becuase i didnt see any muay thai from him either,,

wonderboy was compared to cung le and machida , but his standup is primitive compared to those guys ,,, heck i would even go as far to say that some of the guys i see locally at amatuer mma shows would beat the shit out of him ,, let alone the ufc...

on a side note ; "jukai " i usually butt heads with you about karate , but did you honestly see anything karate about wonderboys fight , he throws one fucking kick at a time ,, no set up , no combinations , his kicks arent hard enough to do any damage ,,, replace him with any kyokushin guy and they would have hurt brown ,, ground game aside ..
'

Last edited:
Well at least Machida and Cung Lee fight in a semi square stance if you will. Wonderboy fights totally sideways with his hands down. He has no knees, elbows, or clinch. Machida does. He has no interceptions. Machida does. No footsweeps, no hands, no takedown defense, and no ground game. Basically, no real essential MMA skills. A bit premature to compare him to Anderson Silva

1329179424_mj-laughing1.gif

Well at least Machida and Cung Lee fight in a semi square stance if you will. Wonderboy fights totally sideways with his hands down. He has no knees, elbows, or clinch. Machida does. He has no interceptions. Machida does. No footsweeps, no hands, no takedown defense, and no ground game. Basically, no real essential MMA skills. A bit premature to compare him to Anderson Silva

man , jay z ,, when you said after he loses you are going to jump off wonderboys train , you werent kidding ,,, hope you didnt break anything ...

Who dropped who?

Brown was the one who scored the knockdown, not wonderboy.

Unfortunately for Wonderboy, Brown's nickname proved to be quite literal. He should've been dropped, he just wasn't.

I honestly think Wonderboy's got a future in the division. He can make his style work. He just needs to utilize that movement (so much room to run in the cage--no excuse to get cornered!), work on his close range boxing a bit, and improve either his jiu jitsu or his wrestling. With either takedown defense or a serious ground game he would have picked Brown apart, in my opinion.

I was actually impressed with Thompson. The two men were a great matchup for one another--Thompson had no takedown defense, and Brown had no striking defense.

1. I was so disappointed that Wonderboy couldn't put Matt Brown away with some of those punch combinations. He landed that left uppercut-straight right over and over, but it looks like Matt Brown truly is immortal. He fared better on the ground than I thought he would....

2. I look forward to seeing his continued improvement!

Point 1. Strike 2 for focus pads.... Ty.

Point 2. Getting Smashed in the face / head for 15 minutes, along with vicious GNP re Matt Brown is contributing to improvement of your mind?.... :icon_conf :icon_lol:

KarateStylist

Last edited:
Thompson is so far behind in his grappling, he'll never catch up in time. The blueprint has been set for dealing with this guy and his signature kick that he'll be out the door before he learns anything useful. If karate weirdos want to grasp on to someone as a representative of their art, Makdessi seems like the much more logical choice.

1. I was thinking the same thing....

2. Edit: BTW, karatestylist, what is your issue with focus mitts? Why do you think they give people bad habits?

Hotora86 Trolled me @ Comment xx: So....

Point 1. On Point 2., you're all thinking the same thing.... just like many dump all over the traditional & sport karateka for doing just that....

Point 2. Focus pads are a time-tested tool for boxers, kickboxers, MMA strikers. COUNTERPOINT: I never saw my first traditional martial arts head instructor / owner ever trought out focus mitts....

We had a full-contact oriented student at the school (been there a couple of years) who went to a lot of boxing when he sparred, wasn't hesitant to go hard contact if he was losing on points....

Guy wOULD constantly challenge the head instructor to spar. In those matches, he was completely at the mercy of the head instructor--this guy ALWAYS CAME OUT ON THE LOSING END... COULDN'T EVEN LAND A SHOT.

I took note of the instructor & how he trained, and emulated that.... Never used focus mitts yet handled a rough tough full contact guy like a child. Took note of that [Begs the question--no comic books please... **facepalm**].

KarateStylist

P.S. you'll be glad to know this guy halled off and punched me in the face when he was losing to me when I was a new student.

P.S.S. BUMP: on the top 3 mistakes opponents make when fighting jones.... they're not doing what I'm doing.... :icon_neut

1. Also, just try and avoid KarateStylist. The majority of the message board has him on ignore.
2. That being said, I think one of Thompsons' problems was that his boxing was, eh, it wasn't as spectacular as I expected from such a master-level American kickboxer. Not that Brown could stop shit anyway, but Wonderboy's bread an butter is still his straights, the uppercuts and hooks were still sloppy and he didn't throw them enough. Brown knew what to brace for, and Wonderboy was too hesitant to throw any of his KO kicks in fear of being taken down (which turned out to be a totally valid fear).

Point 1. Thank the MMA Gods they have you to speak for them, the ANSWER MAN. see point 2.

Point 2. Thompson has problems with his striking? Wish I'd said that! Oh, I did. But your criticism is what he needs? [**Sheesh** **2x facepalm**].

At least I listened to and gave credit to Brown, giving credit to TMA is something you're _______________ to do.... Brown knew what he had to brace for? Taking pounding never happens in MMA?

Let's recap your input to Thompson:

1. Don't do sloppy boxing (how many years has WB been fighting?)
2. Watch for takedowns (another light blub).
3. When you kick, this is an opportunity for TD by opponent (NO!).
4. Try to avoid my traditional karate input (right on).

Where that LEGS M SIG Line when we need it [that being said....] ....

KarateStylist

Last edited:
he should carry the american kickboxing flag , not karates ,,,....

...on a side note ; "jukai " i usually butt heads with you about karate , but did you honestly see anything karate about wonderboys fight , he throws one f*cking kick at a time ,, no set up , no combinations , his kicks arent hard enough to do any damage ,,, replace him with any kyokushin guy and they would have hurt brown ,, ground game aside .... '

The lesson of Kyokushin competition is knockdown effect.

The lesson of traditional karate proper is knockdown, to disuade, hurt, disable, cripple, kill effect.

Apparantly, traditional karate proper is missing in all that focus mitt training WB put up in his open workout. Guess, as Jukai implied, WB's American Kickboxing mentality didn't 'brace' for MMA.... the knockdown realilty.

Back