Wonderboy Thompson vs The Immortal Brown

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This is the fight I am excited for. Who takes this fight standing? How do you see it playing out? Who wins the MMA match?

Here are some vids on your boy. From the Heavies:

A GSP endorsement:

Discuss

Last edited:
Wonderboy is developing bad habits by using focus mitts. I never have and never will use focus mitts.

KarateStylist

colinfarrell3p6ca.gif

I think Matt Brown has a lot to live up to. Although I am partial to WB, I'm looking forward to a good fight, a great fight, one that will pit the more conventional MMA type training & fighter in Brown against the karate-based kickboxer, Thompson.

Great matchup, I really don't want to call it for WB.... let MB have his day in the Octagon against the rising star....

KarateStylist

As a karate feller, what is your take on his technique in the first vid? Strengths, Weaknesses etc.

What is your take on how the fight will play out?

Discuss.

As a karate feller, what is your take on his technique in the first vid? Strengths, Weaknesses etc.

What is your take on how the fight will play out?

Discuss.

Stephen's standup is half American kickboxing and half American Kenpo. I never did either. I see a lot of similarities, but the stance is much different and in turn, a lot of the body mechanics are different too.

The first video is actually incredibly interesting, I noticed something very unique about Stephen's style: he kicks directly from his stance, but steps and squares up when he punches. For most fighters, it's almost always the opposite. This means he does choreograph when he throws punches, although I'm having trouble seeing if he squares up with his back leg or his front leg (he actually could do both, which either means he's worked both mechanically out to be very unpredictable, or he has sloppy footwork. One or the other). He also practices kicking with his instep, which would normally be a no-no, but he did knock Stittgen the fuck out with one, so more power to him. His punches are really crisp and fast, but no hooks... no uppercuts... Really, the focus was on the kicks. I'd like to see him pull off that spinning hook in the fight, for sure.

As for his chances, well, the hell if I know. It really depends on how much Stephen can keep it on his feet. This is a big test for Wonderboy, I doubt Matt wants to keeps the fight standing, he's gonna clinch up and try and take it to the ground. It less depends on Stephen's striking and more dependent on his jits. I think Stephen's style matches up real well (his in and out and deep stance will make it difficult for Brown to clinch in or shoot) but I really don't KNOW how good Thompson is at MMA. Stittgen was a fucking punching bag. So, I guess we'll see.

Then again, dude uses focus pads. He's fucking done.

Last edited:
He's got great timing and excellent kicks, but suspect boxing. He boxes like most American kickboxers seem to--i.e. I can see him getting destroyed by a good boxing stylist who can close distance and exploit that wide open defense of his.

Still, love his style. Would love to see him go far.

Stephen's standup is half American kickboxing and half American Kenpo. I never did either. I see a lot of similarities, but the stance is much different and in turn, a lot of the body mechanics are different too.

The first video is actually incredibly interesting, I noticed something very unique about Stephen's style: he kicks directly from his stance, but steps and squares up when he punches. For most fighters, it's almost always the opposite. This means he does choreograph when he throws punches, although I'm having trouble seeing if he squares up with his back leg or his front leg (he actually could do both, which either means he's work both mechanically out to be very unpredictable, or he has sloppy footwork. One or the other). He also practices kicking with his instep, which would normally be a no-no, but he did knock Stittgen the fuck out with one, so more power to him. His punches are really crisp and fast, but no hooks... no uppercuts... Really, the focus was on the kicks. I'd like to see him pull off that spinning hook in the fight, for sure.

As for his chances, well, the hell if I know. It really depends on how much Stephen can keep it on his feet. This is a big test for Wonderboy, I doubt Matt keeps the fight standing, he's gonna clinch up and try and take it to the ground. It less depends on Stephen's striking and more dependent on his jits. I think Stephen's style matches up real well (his in and out and deep stance will make it difficult for Brown to clinch in or shoot) but I really don't KNOW how good Thompson is at MMA. Stittgen was a fucking punching bag. So, I guess we'll see.

lol.

That instep is a friggin nightmare. Its kind of delayed. It hits you at the last possible minute. And it doesnt just smack you, it digs down in your neck. Thats his trademark move for sure. Im going to learn it if it is the last thing I do. I liked the video. I think he focuses more on straights rather than hooks and uppercuts do to his style of fighting 10 feet away from his opponent, closing distance, but not too close, than leaping back out again, to try a different combo. Matt is going to have to clinch up for sure. His last opponent kind of just reacted and applied no real pressure. You can't just hang back and watch, because when he jumps in, you don't no what combo he will use.

Stephen's standup is half American kickboxing and half American Kenpo....

The first video is actually incredibly interesting, I noticed something very unique about Stephen's style: he kicks directly from his stance, but steps and squares up when he punches. For most fighters, it's almost always the opposite. This means he does choreograph when he throws punches, although I'm having trouble seeing if he squares up with his back leg or his front leg (he actually could do both, which either means he's worked both mechanically out to be very unpredictable....
His punches are really crisp and fast, but no hooks... no uppercuts... Really, the focus was on the kicks. I'd like to see him pull off that spinning hook in the fight, for sure.

Well, a non-comic answer....

I think your observations are keen.... but they are not the traditional karate way to look at what he does.

I threw out the "focus pad" comment and got the exact predicted response.... Wonderboyed ya.....

Focus pad work isn't going to ruin WB.... he, like jon jones has too much natural talent (unlike me). Besides, focus pads are part of his kickboxing side, as you noted.

KarateStylist

Last edited:
There's a nice Matt Brown pre-ufc 145 interview @ SBnation, day or 2 old.

It's a nice interview and Matt's calm determination makes me wanting to see this fight even more.

I agree it's a good match up. MB definately has his work cut out for him. MB's also right that this isn't kickboxing. Expect to see much more in-your-face contact. +1 for MB.

KarateStylist

Last edited:
He's got great timing and excellent kicks, but suspect boxing. He boxes like most American kickboxers seem to--i.e. I can see him getting destroyed by a good boxing stylist who can close distance and exploit that wide open defense of his....

I disagree that WB's boxing is 'suspect.'

I do agree that the boxing calibre of his opponents @ WCL doesn't stack up the quality of the Boxing vid-posts here @ the Sherdog forum. WB has yet to face a tougher boxing crowd, IMHO.

WB would compensate for that by his great use of mobility. Mobility, as we've seen with Machida in his top opponents bouts though, is no panacea. :icon_neut

KarateStylist

l Matt is going to have to clinch up for sure. His last opponent kind of just reacted and applied no real pressure. You can't just hang back and watch, because when he [WonderBoy] [sic] jumps in, you don't no what combo he will use.

You perspective is the boxer's one. WB is a real problem because of his 'unpredictability' as Jukai points out.

KarateStylist

Last edited:
I'm super excited for this fight. It's going to be the grace and finesse of WB VS the raw power and force of MB.

I think if WB plays on the outside and keeps moving he will be able to pick MB apart.

Does anyone know how well WB's chin is?

It's been the downfall of fighters since the dawn of time...lol

If Wonderboy's punching skill every catch up with his kicking skills, watch out.

lol.

That instep is a friggin nightmare. Its kind of delayed. It hits you at the last possible minute. And it doesnt just smack you, it digs down in your neck. Thats his trademark move for sure. Im going to learn it if it is the last thing I do. I liked the video. I think he focuses more on straights rather than hooks and uppercuts do to his style of fighting 10 feet away from his opponent, closing distance, but not too close, than leaping back out again, to try a different combo. Matt is going to have to clinch up for sure. His last opponent kind of just reacted and applied no real pressure. You can't just hang back and watch, because when he jumps in, you don't no what combo he will use.

He wont be able to do that jumpy shit when pressed against the cage. He's gotta be able to throw short hooks and uppercuts. Not that he doesn't know how to, of course, but I wish he showed it in the video instead of just throwing a thousand straights.

Hell, even in the second video, when he throws a straight its beautiful but when he throws a hook, it looks like a wild haymaker. That's just the trade-off of doing a karate art instead of a boxing art, I guess. Still, I can't judge how good his technique is from the second video, some of that was a long time ago.

Oh, I almost never use uppercuts, but am prepared to do so. I almost always use linear strikes. Don't need anything else than standard karate straight punches, albeit the amount of preparation varies....
KarateStylist

Use linear strikes against what? The air? You don't compete...

If Wonderboy's punching skill every catch up with his kicking skills, watch out.

May I prevent you exhibit A, Raymond Daniels, a 6th degree Kenpo black belt, 5th degree Shotokan black belt, 5th degree Taekwondo black belt... KILLED Stephen Thompson... Got taken down and choked the hell out when he fought in MMA.

We need to see how good Wonderboy's TDD and submission grappling is. He could probably clean house with 99% of his division in a kickboxing match, but this ain't kickboxing.

He's got great timing and excellent kicks, but suspect boxing. He boxes like most American kickboxers seem to--i.e. I can see him getting destroyed by a good boxing stylist who can close distance and exploit that wide open defense of his.

Still, love his style. Would love to see him go far.

i was thinking he same about his hands ,, it could be his pad holder , his combos are 1 - 3 punches , very simple , in comparison to machida(another karate style ) machidas combos are more explosive , and mixes punches with kicks together and footwork , maybe with a different pad holder his hands or combination would look better.

Back