Wonderboy Thompson vs The Immortal Brown

Wonderboy is developing bad habits by using focus mitts. I never have and never will use focus mitts.

KarateStylist

tysonreaction.gif

He's got great timing and excellent kicks, but suspect boxing. He boxes like most American kickboxers seem to--i.e. I can see him getting destroyed by a good boxing stylist who can close distance and exploit that wide open defense of his.

Still, love his style. Would love to see him go far.

i was thinking he same about his hands ,, it could be his pad holder , his combos are 1 - 3 punches , very simple , in comparison to machida(another karate style ) machidas combos are more explosive , and mixes punches with kicks together and footwork , maybe with a different pad holder his hands or combination would look better.

I don't think much of the pad holder but I also think that Wonderboy is just one of those guys who fights better than he hits pads. In the HL his punching is good and he looks like he hits hurtfully if not very heavily. He dropped a guy with an excellent body shot in that clip and his boxing looks much better in the ring. Maybe he is just more of a fighter in the ring than the gym.

I think MB is in for a torrid night as I think he's going to struggle to get a hold of WB. Should be a good battle nonetheless.

May I prevent you exhibit A, Raymond Daniels, a 6th degree Kenpo black belt, 5th degree Shotokan black belt, 5th degree Taekwondo black belt... KILLED Stephen Thompson... Got taken down and choked the hell out when he fought in MMA.

We need to see how good Wonderboy's TDD and submission grappling is. He could probably clean house with 99% of his division in a kickboxing match, but this ain't kickboxing.

killed? Where? Wonderboy has no losses last time I checked? Are you talking training?

I think the styles of Machida and Wonderboy make the padholder look horrible because it's not conventional boxing or even Muay Thai. It's not the pad holders fault that he can't throw a counter attacks for Wonderboy to bob/slip/weave off his 1-2 in practice.

Perhaps that's the goal :) He goes in 1-2, and out.

He kicks very well on the lead leg from well out of striking range. He throws a lot of "unconventional" combinations. His kicks of the rear leg don't seem to have the same thump that an MT should have but perhaps it's to prevent a possible kick catch.

Will be interesting to see his undefeated record tested deeper in the UFC WW division.

I am unsure about his ground and TDD.

He will probably go the same route as Machida though. I am just unsure about the prolonged effectiveness of throwing singles out of range. You see what it did to Machida in the Rua rematch and Jones fight.

Lyoto Machida & Chinzo Machida training at VIPMMA - YouTube

in contrast to wonderboy , machidas combinations and hands look far better , even though they are both karate guys ,, granted machida is far more seasoned than wonderboy and battle tested , but just by watching them hit pads , his combos are much better suited to mma ..

on a side note; pad holding in itself is an art , if woderboy was with different pad holder , one who requested more , he probably would have looked better ...

my prediction is ..... matt brown by knock out , first round ,,, wonderboy isnt ready yet ...

I will take that bet. Signatures?

bbbbbbbbet? did you say bbbbbbet ?

sure ill take that , but i dont have a signature to bet with yet , but ill take whatever you can come up with ..

my opinion of the fight is as follows ,,, wonderboy gets punched out on his feet , then gets either gnp or choked out ., all in the first round , matt brown is way too tough a fighter for the wonderboy ..

bbbbbbbbet? did you say bbbbbbet ?

sure ill take that , but i dont have a signature to bet with yet , but ill take whatever you can come up with ..

my opinion of the fight is as follows ,,, wonderboy gets punched out on his feet , then gets either gnp or choked out ., all in the first round , matt brown is way too tough a fighter for the wonderboy ..

I was just jesting, but I see it opposite. More or less a Silva vs. Griffin fight. Perhaps ending in a similar, but non-spectacular manner.

Silva is Silva.

IMO, i think your right. I see it going about this way. I think he'll get brawled into the cage, drug down and pounded or choked out. Don't know about first round, but the rest I tend to agree with. Matt Brown is a tough dude, It'll be a real test for him. Either way, I think this fight will tell us a lot more about "wonderboy" than the previous. If he really is the truth, then Matt Brown is good guy to prove it against.

not trying to ruin this thread ,, but i changed my mind about jones and evans ,,, i just switched to rashad ,, he has been working with pretty elite boxers lately , roy jones jr especially , and i think he is going to test jones' chin , lyoto staggared jones when he hit him , i think rashad is going to knock him out ,,

and no i dont want to bet on this one .

I think Matt Brown is too slow and Thompson gets the win.

I will be more interested in seeing him fight against a top level Muay Thai guy at 170, like Bang Ludwig or Thiago Alves or a heavy puncher like Siyar Bahadurzada.

I think Matt Brown is too slow and Thompson gets the win.

I will be more interested in seeing him fight against a top level Muay Thai guy at 170, like Bang Ludwig or Thiago Alves or a heavy puncher like Siyar Bahadurzada.

Thompson's speed will help him in the middle of the cage, but put his back into the fence, grab a hold of him or drag him to the mat and that speed is irrelevant. Matt Brown definitely is going to come after him and will put pressure and come forward. Matt Brown has got a solid chin too, so Thompson can run but if he cant find a way to make Brown hesitant, he's eventually gonna run out of room to run and be forced to fight...... ugly like....... which I don't see going well for him at all. I still just see Thompson getting bullied into the cage, dirty boxed (Browns got great standing elbows), drug down and pounded out. If Thompson really is the truth, then this fight could look like Silva vs. Leben. But I think that a real long shot.

You're betting on Matt Brown and call yourself a TKD fighter?
You sir, disgust me.

You're betting on Matt Brown and call yourself a TKD fighter?
You sir, disgust me.

i was a tkd fighter ,, i now am a UFC fighter ,,, hey i just bought 2 really tight affliction t shirts and new mma gloves with UFC on the knuckles .

i still like to see the tma guys do well , but matt brown was a bad match up for the wonderboy ,,, in my opinion

btw .. its nice to see you got your av back ,,, did you learn your lesson

Thompson's speed will help him in the middle of the cage, but put his back into the fence, grab a hold of him or drag him to the mat and that speed is irrelevant. Matt Brown definitely is going to come after him and will put pressure and come forward. Matt Brown has got a solid chin too, so Thompson can run but if he cant find a way to make Brown hesitant, he's eventually gonna run out of room to run and be forced to fight...... ugly like....... which I don't see going well for him at all. I still just see Thompson getting bullied into the cage, dirty boxed (Browns got great standing elbows), drug down and pounded out. If Thompson really is the truth, then this fight could look like Silva vs. Leben. But I think that a real long shot.

This is true. Kind of like Wanderlei Vs Cung Lee. Except Cung has better hands than Wonderboy, and is willing to exchange hands, rather than leap away. In punching range, Wonderboy still has that instep kick KO which he can use after a straight. That kick is sneaky. But aside from that I dont see anything else. Good thing the Octogon is made for sprinters.

I definitely agree. Fighters who fight out of a sideways stance as most Karate or San Shou guys do are known to be at a disadvantage when backed into the cage.
They seem to rely so much on their kicks and being in kicking distance , that when they are forced to fight closer up they wilt under heavy punchers pressure.

I just dont think Brown has the speed or explosive wrestling takedowns to force Thompson back into the cage. I believe Thompson will control the range and counter Brown into a TKO or decision victory.

We'll see tomorrow night...

Back