(WMMA) The myth that 115lbs is a deeper/better division than 135lbs. (JJs poor competition)

What are you talking about you goof ? Do you want me to list every single 115lber ? I listed JJs opponents and some other big names. It's not like I knew Jojo had won some muay thai championship and left her off for some reason, I named fighter I knew and listed their backgrounds.

Good for Jojo.
dont make claims about the division unless you know about the division, it kind of discredits any good point you might make

135 is awful, but at least it's getting better. Not on the level of 115, the technique speaks for itself. 135 has a shit load of fighters with gaping holes in their games. 115 is full of fighters that can take the fight anywhere and hold their own, i.e. Joanna not allowing Gadelha or Andrade or Esparza to do anything with their grappling.

135 has only ever had two somewhat well-rounded girls and one of them was vastly mediocre (Tate), and the other gasses in 5 minutes (Nunes). Not a good division at all!

I see your clever gif and I raise you

giphy.gif

<mma4>

Oh some people on sherdog wanted JJ to lose so bad last night so they could say see and discredit her.. Unfortunately JJ dominated "her biggest threat" so people have to resort to this

What ? I like JJ and I'm not resorting to anything, I'm calling it how I see it. All I'm hearing is everyone coming in here and saying I've got something against her, as if I'm biased and making stuff up. LMAO.

Andrade wasn't JJs biggest threat. At 115lbs their is no threat outside of Claudia Gadelha, but she can't seem to bridge the gap to match JJ. JJs threats are at 125lbs if she moves up when they open the division.

I see quite a few people saying this. Am I the only one who thinks 135 has clearly got better competitors than 115lbs ?

Some people are saying that Joanna's striking is technically one of the best, regardless of weight/gender, in the whole of MMA/the UFC. May I ask WHO she has beaten who has a solid, respectable striking background ?

115 comes across to me as the division full of jack-of-all-trades master of none. Women who have poor boxing, wrestling and BJJ for the most part. That is, their bases are MMA level, none are world champions in their respective backgrounds. Many are 'mixed martial artists' as opposed to being great boxers, judokas and so on.

Joanna's competitors inside the UFC.
Esparza, 2 time all american wrestler.
Penne, trains BJJ. Has never competed outside of MMA.
Letourneau, trains 'boxing/kickboxing'. Has only ever competed in MMA.
Gadelha, multiple BJJ championships.
Kowalkiewicz, started training Krav Maga when she was 16. No championships/never competed outside of MMA.
Andrade, BJJ background, no titles/accolades. Only ever competed in MMA.
Lima, no background in nothing. A 'mixed martial artist'.

So JJ has fought one lady with an okay wrestling background. One lady with a decent BJJ background and a bunch of 'mixed martial artists'.

She has NEVER fought a talented striker in all her MMA career. The striking of all her opponents range from embarrassing to extremely mediocre. Did you see Andrades striking last night ? She ducks her head, looks at the ground, runs aimlessly forward windmilling hoping something lands.

<{anton}>

Other 115lbers...
Waterson, Karate background. No championships. Never competed outside of MMA.
Namajunas, Taekwondo background. No championships. Never competed outside of MMA.
Van Zant, background in dancing. No championships. Never competed outside of MMA.
Grasso, no nothing. Never competed outside of MMA.

135lbs has/has had...
An Olympic silver medalist Freestyle Wrestler, Sara McMann. (she has vast amounts of experience in wrestling, to many achievements to list).
An Olympic bronze medalist in Judoka, Ronda Rousey.
Fila Grappling world silver medalist, Miesha Tate.
4 time all american and national champion in Womens Wrestling, Cat Zingano.

Here are the strikers...

Holly Holm
33-2-3 Boxing record.
2-1 Kickboxing record.
Countless titles at multiples weight divisions in Womens Boxing.

Germaine de Randamie
37-0 Muay Thai record. Multiple world championships.

Valentina Shevchenko
58-2-1 Muay Thai record.
2-0 Boxing record.
Countless world titles spanning multiple divisions in Muay Thai.

You then have the current champion Amanda Nunes who has never competed outside of MMA, but has heavy hands with many T/KO victories. Something that can't be said for anyone at 115lbs.

Cliffs:
- 135lbs > 115lbs
- JJ has fought poor competition, no one she has fought is a capable striker. She has fought one wrestler in her whole UFC career.

Its simple coz, there is more women at 115 lbs then 125 etc... so its deeper talent pull... not to mention 135lbs was made for ronda. Moment when girls like Holm, Cyborg, Gerrmaine appeard she disapeard... We can pretend and not to mention that ufc made of Ronda dominator in this weight class and how did it ended ?.

Its simple coz, there is more women at 115 lbs then 125 etc... so its deeper talent pull... not to mention 135lbs was made for ronda. Moment when girls like Holm, Cyborg, Gerrmaine appeard she disapeard... We can pretend and not to mention that ufc made of Ronda dominator in this weight class and how did it ended ?.

People can call it deeper all they like. All I'm saying is, at the tops of the divisions, the most talented members of each division...I see multiple competent strikers @ 135lbs. I see only one at 115lbs.

Grappling wise, 135lbs has a few more wrestlers. Not to mention their wrestlers are better credentialed than the likes of Esparza. Especially if we include recent retirees in Ronda & Miesha.

135 is awful, but at least it's getting better. Not on the level of 115, the technique speaks for itself. 135 has a shit load of fighters with gaping holes in their games. 115 is full of fighters that can take the fight anywhere and hold their own, i.e. Joanna not allowing Gadelha or Andrade or Esparza to do anything with their grappling.

135 has only ever had two somewhat well-rounded girls and one of them was vastly mediocre (Tate), and the other gasses in 5 minutes (Nunes). Not a good division at all!
Ronda hate speech

You could have saved yourself the trouble of writing all that and just write wmma.

The #1 contender next in line for a title shot is a girl with a 6-3 record. Only a matter of time before they start giving title shots to TUF winners...

What ? I like JJ and I'm not resorting to anything, I'm calling it how I see it. All I'm hearing is everyone coming in here and saying I've got something against her, as if I'm biased and making stuff up. LMAO.

Andrade wasn't JJs biggest threat. At 115lbs their is no threat outside of Claudia Gadelha, but she can't seem to bridge the gap to match JJ. JJs threats are at 125lbs if she moves up when they open the division.
unless Shev drops down I dont see any as a threat at 125. All it would be is girls who cant compete at 135... JJ has already dominated two of them and one she did with a broken hand while setting records in significant strikes. Dont try to pretend you have nothing against JJ though. This, as everyone has pointed out, is clearly a hater thread.

Shevchenko is a very capable, well rounded MMA fighter. She deserves to be considered as such way more than Tate tbh.

Rest of the post is spot on

Theres a thing call the eye test. JJ's technique is flawless no matter who she is facing.

Drake works for Sherdog as a freelancer for the fighter Q&A events.

So he he did not want to be special?
So its back to being "special"

;-)

I see quite a few people saying this. Am I the only one who thinks 135 has clearly got better competitors than 115lbs ?

Some people are saying that Joanna's striking is technically one of the best, regardless of weight/gender, in the whole of MMA/the UFC. May I ask WHO she has beaten who has a solid, respectable striking background ?

115 comes across to me as the division full of jack-of-all-trades master of none. Women who have poor boxing, wrestling and BJJ for the most part. That is, their bases are MMA level, none are world champions in their respective backgrounds. Many are 'mixed martial artists' as opposed to being great boxers, judokas and so on.

Joanna's competitors inside the UFC.
Esparza, 2 time all american wrestler.
Penne, trains BJJ. Has never competed outside of MMA.
Letourneau, trains 'boxing/kickboxing'. Has only ever competed in MMA.
Gadelha, multiple BJJ championships.
Kowalkiewicz, started training Krav Maga when she was 16. No championships/never competed outside of MMA.
Andrade, BJJ background, no titles/accolades. Only ever competed in MMA.
Lima, no background in nothing. A 'mixed martial artist'.

So JJ has fought one lady with an okay wrestling background. One lady with a decent BJJ background and a bunch of 'mixed martial artists'.

She has NEVER fought a talented striker in all her MMA career. The striking of all her opponents range from embarrassing to extremely mediocre. Did you see Andrades striking last night ? She ducks her head, looks at the ground, runs aimlessly forward windmilling hoping something lands.

<{anton}>

Other 115lbers...
Waterson, Karate background. No championships. Never competed outside of MMA.
Namajunas, Taekwondo background. No championships. Never competed outside of MMA.
Van Zant, background in dancing. No championships. Never competed outside of MMA.
Grasso, no nothing. Never competed outside of MMA.

135lbs has/has had...
An Olympic silver medalist Freestyle Wrestler, Sara McMann. (she has vast amounts of experience in wrestling, to many achievements to list).
An Olympic bronze medalist in Judoka, Ronda Rousey.
Fila Grappling world silver medalist, Miesha Tate.
4 time all american and national champion in Womens Wrestling, Cat Zingano.

Here are the strikers...

Holly Holm
33-2-3 Boxing record.
2-1 Kickboxing record.
Countless titles at multiples weight divisions in Womens Boxing.

Germaine de Randamie
37-0 Muay Thai record. Multiple world championships.

Valentina Shevchenko
58-2-1 Muay Thai record.
2-0 Boxing record.
Countless world titles spanning multiple divisions in Muay Thai.

You then have the current champion Amanda Nunes who has never competed outside of MMA, but has heavy hands with many T/KO victories. Something that can't be said for anyone at 115lbs.

Cliffs:
- 135lbs > 115lbs
- JJ has fought poor competition, no one she has fought is a capable striker. She has fought one wrestler in her whole UFC career.
Nunes being the current champ puts a big dent in your argument. She beat the 2 Olympic medalists, the wrestler in Tate, and the striker in Schvenko. The sport is MMA. Having Olympic medals, or being a world champ in another discipline doesn't mean you'll be a great MMA fighter.

Furthermore, 135 is shallow because there just literally are no people in the division...it's not based on talent, but on bodies. Ronda and Tate are retired. Cat fights once every 2 years. GDR is at FW. How many other BWs are there?

You could have saved yourself the trouble of writing all that and just write wmma.

The #1 contender next in line for a title shot is a girl with a 6-3 record. Only a matter of time before they start giving title shots to TUF winners...
naw they only do that in mens MMA for champions who dont want to move up... JJ has been asking for 125 forever ... Also you can get a title shot being 2-1 in the HW division... So him writing "WMMA" would have made as little sense as his OP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back