Without any snark or sarcasm list things you respect about the ideology opposite of yours.

That's a funny way to put it but I can't say I disagree. I'd trade Hollywood for the White House and Congress with the right wingers any day.
GOEBBELS_LAUGHING_tn.jpg

Be careful what you wish for

How do you suggest the left abandon the degenerates without throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

It seems to me that the right, such as in the area of welfare drug testing, wants to knowingly increase administrative costs in excess of what would be spent on said degenerates (resulting in lower spending efficiency and higher taxes) and also incidentally harm good, worthwhile people, just to send a message by excluding those degenerates, etc.

Well, to start, you and I the other day figured out a simple way to lower those drug testing costs. The fact that congress can’t speaks volumes about our elected officials.

That being said, even if it did cost us money, the good that results from getting those people off drugs, is far more valuable than the dollars spent.

Ok, few examples of how and who.

1 coming to terms with the reality of radical Islam.

2 stop defending degenerate behavior such as forcing children to live trans lifestyles, gauging baby’s ears, dressing up your son like a little girl, etc. While it’s true these are rare occurrences, instead of holding these people up as “brave”, just point it out for what it is, mental illness and child abuse.

3 stop giving poor money. Donate to a shelter instead.

4 stop giving people who throw their lives away for drugs a pass. Nobody forced you to take the drugs, you knew the consequences, deal with them.

5 embrace person responsibility

That would be a great start.

If you can’t do this there is a problem.

1. I respect that the right isn’t idealistic to a fault and recognizes the importance of party loyalty.

the narcissism is strong in this one.

The right is more idealistic than the left when it comes to morality and personal conduct.

As far as party loyalty goes- a quarter to half of the right-wingers strongly opposes Trump in one way or another.

The Left:
  • Higher in trait openness; more willing to embrace or entertain unconventional ideas
  • According to one study, emphasize fairness as a value more than the right
The Right:
  • More dutiful and conscientious overall
  • More protective of America; higher in ingroup loyalty which means that the idea of America as a community is more strongly felt on the right- this inclines people on the right to do what's [they think is] good for America while the left is inclined to do [what they think] is good for the world, sometimes at a cost to America

I believed a lot of bullshit propaganda about the right from the left when I was a teenager but a series of experiences shifted me to conservatism.

I grew up in a single-parent minority household and wasn't a good student.

A conservative Irish/Italian Catholic family cosigned my student loans and I was able to attend a private University way above my means because of their generosity.

I really had a lot of subconscious feelings about conservatives/republicans being secretly or outwardly racist up until that point.

And then when I got to college, I was a huge pothead.

Hung around with a lot of narcissistic SJW hippies. Low in conscientiousness and high in openness.

Just my all-around experiences in life and exposure to conservatives & liberals and the personality types on each side really leads me to rank conservatives as higher-quality characters.

Reading Russian literature and studying philosophy was also very pivotal in tilting me to the right.

Honor. Family. Duty.

I see those virtues in stronger alignment with conservatism rather than postmodern liberalism.

Last edited:
The left

- More open to progressive views (I'm not talking about more extreme views like trannies in girls' bathrooms)
- The positive outlook and belief that mass-immigration will work and improve countries. I wish I wasn't so pessimistic myself.

The left

- More open to progressive views (I'm not talking about more extreme views like trannies in girls' bathrooms)
- The positive outlook and belief that mass-immigration will work and improve countries. I wish I wasn't so pessimistic myself.

I'm surprised you listed the left as the opposite ideology, I've seen a lot of your posts as very central

Wouldn't you say you are doing something similar with a post like this? The whole point of the thread is to try to look for positives and you chose to go out of the way to criticize and marginalized your opposition even in here.
it doesnt count when the left does it

The right

* A positive outlook that people can overcome obstacles by working hard, that you are not being held back by invisible structures and even if you are, you can still achieve improvements regardless of your colour/creed/gender.
* Family oriented
* The importance of fiscal efficiency

I dont really think I am on the right or left. I call it like I see it and often criticize both parties. For this post I will just say what I like about the left.

- More tolerant of people that are "different"

- Less likely to attack other countries

- Want to improve race relations, not set them back 70 years.

- Care about the environment

If you can’t do this there is a problem.

1. I respect that the right isn’t idealistic to a fault and recognizes the importance of party loyalty.
2. I admire the ability of people on the right to enjoy pop culture (film, music, art etc) that is generally dismissive of their beliefs.

Good thread.
The problem is that I have a blend of right and left ideology, so I'll adress just one topic here :

- what I tend to hate : free-market capitalism "at all costs" and the whole "invisible hand", i.e. neo-liberal economics (obsessions with GDP growth at all costs / deregulation / privatisation / the religion of corporate profits).

The counter-argument that I actually find compelling is : "okay, but what do you propose, then? Some heavy government bureaucracy to manage the economy inefficiently ?". And yes, that is correct, I don't think managing the economy has every been efficient.

I don't view them as the "other side". I try not to demonize them so it's never difficult to see positive attributes in people that are right wing. It's hard to say what I like about them as a generalized group. I think it would probably be their skepticism towards people in positions of power.

I respect that they want to reduce inequality and stick up for the little guy. I just don't always agree with how they do it.

In terms of ideology (or at least what I perceive as liberal ideology) I can’t say there’s much for me to agree with. Admirable ideas sure but I disagree with the methods.

I do agree with liberals on certain issues though and I generally like liberal people more. I’m center right but I generally dont like people further to the right than me even if I may agree with the ideology and ways of thinking.

I understand the need for a strong social safety net and the how it's inevitable that capitalism produces a an underclass of non-hackers.

I appreciate how they view economic inequality as a destabilizing force in society.

I'm impressed at their ability to organize, how they use the courts, and finesse the media and government to agitate for their goals.

*deep breath* While oftentimes I have a problem with how they deliver their messages, the essence of their message isn't horrible. At times it's even laudable. Even if it doesn't mesh with my preset views.

*deepdeep breath* Despite my reflexive opinions about how they conduct their messaging, there is no denying the passion some of these leftists have.

(Im gonna go wash now.)

There is too much confusion and hypocrisy in both the mainstream and the fringe of the right at the moment to even identify an ideology. This has been true since maybe 2009 and it has only gotten worse. I won't give credit where it is not due on this. For example, conservatism should be ideologically in line with environmentalism, freedom of and from religion, medical privacy, affirming the rights of human beings over the rights of organizations created in Delaware, etc. The question just doesn't make sense right now.

The closest thing I can come up with to being a truism on the popular right is that they have finally recognized that perpetual war in the Middle East is a bad idea, but for most that is only a coincidentally good part of a greater, terrible ideological position.

Can you elaborate on your perceived distinction between Hillary and Bill in the should-be eyes of conservatives?

Personally, I agree that she is more worthy of respect than Bill according to a lot of my values, but I'm not sure I can impute that to "traditional conservatives." Are you just saying that along the lines of Bill's infidelities?

Along the lines of generally not being as devoted to family or of being as hard-working.

Just curious: what proportion of those "parasites" being redeemable toward productivity would be enough to excuse defending them to you?

I can only presume you're talking about the lower class, including welfare recipients, the homeless, persons in prison, etc. Do you not feel there is sufficient data showing that those masses respond positively to downward wealth distribution and providing of economic opportunity? Surely there is enough to at least create some doubt about their being naturally parasitic, no?

What's funny is that passive income recipients and people supported by others in their household (children, for example) are far larger "parasites" (if we abandon a human conception of life and just look in terms of economic contributions) than all welfare recipients combined. It's just that other forms of parasitism are either commonly accepted or not thought through (for example, if you give it any thought, it's obvious that children of the rich are a far bigger drain on societies' resources than children who receive WIC benefits).

Yeah, it seems people are saying what PEOPLE aligned with their general ideology do worse than the ones aligned with the opposite ideology.
For example, I realize there is a huge distrust in science among the right that usually falls into absurd conspiracy theories or pure idiocy(Alex Jones), but I wouldn't consider young earth creationism type right wing ideology to be my ideology. I believe I fall to the right because I believe people are fundamentally different and I believe authoritarianism has its place, in certain situations, not because I think global warming is fake or Pizzagate is true.

Yes to your main thrust (respect for ideology isn't the same as respect for individuals who claim it). But embrace of science is inherently liberal and rejection of it in favor of tribal reality is inherently right-wing. Science naturally undermines existing authority (parents, the Church, monarchs, etc.). Even to the extent that traditional authority is backed up by science (parents generally know much better than their kids, for example), traditional authority is replaced with authority based on knowledge. Of course, one can respect knowledge and identify on the right, but there is always going to be tension.

It seems to me that well thought out and supportable positions on the right are taken to the extreme or just flat out used incorrectly. For example, there is validity to the concern that the government can get too big and there are level of deficits that can become harmful. But the right will just use those arguments to counter policy ideas they don't like (which could mean a political win for the left even if it's a good idea for the country). The arguments should start with "how do we best utilize limited resources for the good of all" instead of deficits are terrible when the other side has a policy but they don't matter when my party has ideas".

Or they take legitimate concerns about societal issues (and the problems with rapid change) and instead argue and make laws about where trannies should take a piss.

The major problem with the right is they are so obviously only looking to redistribute wealth upwards and don't agree with the fundamental idea that government should serve everyone.

It would be great if the right got their shit together and purged itself of the extremes, but that's highly unlikely now that Trump has completely taken over the party. Anyone read Cruz's lame ass kissing letter? Pathetic.

Last edited:
I'm PRO gay marriage. But know Christians who are vehemently against it yet still treat homosexuals or Gay couples the same they do others

I'm pro 2nd Amendment. But I also know that even those who want a total Gun Ban believe that way because they TRULY believe it will result in less gun deaths.

I believe the Income Tax should be abolished yet I know most that want a tiered system that tilts to the wealthy want that because they care for the poor

I'm an atheist yet have MANY religious friends and have mad respect for them as it really does make them better people in many ways

Back