Without any snark or sarcasm list things you respect about the ideology opposite of yours.

essie

sue me
@Silver
Reaction score
If you can’t do this there is a problem.

1. I respect that the right isn’t idealistic to a fault and recognizes the importance of party loyalty.
2. I admire the ability of people on the right to enjoy pop culture (film, music, art etc) that is generally dismissive of their beliefs.

I admire, strictly on the issue of gun control, their resilience to reactionary policy whims caused by traumatic shootings

I admire their commitment to what they believe to be pragmatism in lesser evilist voting

I respect that they actually engage in the political process and forum, instead of keeping their opinions to themselves and never subjecting them to scrutiny.

I respect that they recognize the societal interest in stability and in staving off accelerated social change.

I respect that they properly support trade schools and often realize the classist undertones of expecting all people to go to 4-year universities

I respect that they call out elitist liberals for being condescending and classist at times.

Non-PC
I admire their ability to completely detach their consumption from moral/political belief, such that they always get the cheapest or most convenient goods regardless of the producers' labor conditions, political affiliations, animal treatment, etc.

I admire the confidence in themselves that they show by disregarding the professional opinions of scientists on science, social scientists on society, and of educated people in general as just being categorically biased.

I admire the right in their ruthless (or shameless) commitment to their position, and their being okay with getting their hands dirty, contradicting themselves, or betraying previous positions.

Last edited:
I admire the confidence with which they marginalize others' perspectives and experiences as irrelevant to their supposed objective truth.

Wouldn't you say you are doing something similar with a post like this? The whole point of the thread is to try to look for positives and you chose to go out of the way to criticize and marginalized your opposition even in here.

I honestly can't think of anything. I really tried.
Ive seen you post and we probably disagree about everything but I admire that you didn’t say anything mean about the left and instead just admitted you couldn’t think of something you admire. So there’s that.

I like the basic foundations of liberty and equality, which I believe in. I don't like the shape and form it currently has though.

I admire their ability to completely detach their consumption from moral/political belief, such that they always get the cheapest or most convenient goods regardless of the producers' labor conditions, political affiliations, animal treatment, etc.

I admire the confidence in themselves that they show by disregarding the professional opinions of scientists on science, social scientists on society, and of educated people in general as just being categorically biased.

I admire the confidence with which they marginalize others' perspectives and experiences as irrelevant to their supposed objective truth.

I admire the right in their ruthless (or shameless) commitment to their position, and their being okay with getting their hands dirty, contradicting themselves, or betraying previous positions.

I admire that they always show up to vote.

I admire their ability to convince themselves that philanthropy or redistribution is actually selfish.
<6>

Ive seen you post and we probably disagree about everything but I admire that you didn’t say anything mean about the left and instead just admitted you couldn’t think of something you admire. So there’s that.
5ajbeWB.gif

Good Christ you guys sound like asses.

ETA: Oh - no "snark"! Sooory!

Last edited:
Wouldn't you say you are doing something similar with a post like this?

No, at least not in the sense that I was trying to imply. I do not pretend that right wingers' views are irrelevant to conceptions of political reality, or that there is an objective political paradigm that just happens to differ from what they believe to be objective political reality. In fact, I think that I understand most right wingers' perspectives, as they usually sprout from actual concerns, but with incomplete information.

The whole point of the thread is to try to look for positives and you chose to go out of the way to criticize and marginalized your opposition even in here.

I mean, all of those are rooted in some truthful utilitarian admiration.

For instance, if Democrats were as ruthless as Republicans, they could be much, much more successful and do much more good for the people.

The left is
1. More embracing with intellectualism on most issues.
2. Essential for the progress of a society as it becomes feasible and/or acceptable
3. The compassionate leaning mindset that you need involved to help prevent certain groups from being left behind

I admire the right doesn't have any real convictions at all. They're willing to change their belief system at the drop of a hat. They never embarrass and will say anything even if it's 100% wrong.

No, at least not in the sense that I was trying to imply. I do not pretend that right wingers' views are irrelevant to conceptions of political reality, or that there is an objective political paradigm that just happens to differ from what they believe to be objective political reality. In fact, I think that I understand most right wingers' perspectives, as they usually sprout from actual concerns, but with incomplete information.

I mean, all of those are rooted in some truthful utilitarian admiration.

For instance, if Democrats were as ruthless as Republicans, they could be much, much more successful and do much more good for the people.

Yea okay. I think the OP wasn't going for positives packaged as an Irish compliment but whatever works for you I guess.

Even though I think "family values" and "sexual modesty" are abused at the level of policy, on the individual/community level they're positive ideals to aspire to.

Without any snark or sarcasm

I admire that they always show up to vote.

I admire their ability to convince themselves that philanthropy or redistribution is actually selfish.

I admire the right doesn't have any real convictions at all. They're willing to change their belief system at the drop of a hat. They never embarrass and will say anything even if it's 100% wrong.
<Deported1>

Yea okay. I think the OP wasn't going for positives packaged as an Irish compliment but whatever works for you I guess.

Okay, I'll edit and try to be more PC.

A lot of leftists want to legalize drugs. That’s all I could think of.

Okay, I'll edit and try to be more PC.

This post just adds to my point. You are incapable of being open to an opposing viewpoint without throwing some type of backhanded aspect to it. I'm not trying to attack you but I really think you aren't aware of it. I get like that in here as well when I'm posting a lot and then once in awhile when I take a step back or leave for a bit, I realize it and try to mellow out a bit. There are cons to being too mellow as well but I'm just trying to point something out because of how much it's sticking out in this thread specifically.

Back