Winter Olympics 2018 PyeongChang Discussion: Norovirus and North Korea Nuclear Holocaust Edition

I love how they continue to hype this jordan greenway kid as the first black player in olympic hockey.
his mom is white, his absentee dad was black.
but somehow he's a black player.
funny how quickly his white heritage is marginalized.
hm, Obama much?

So Justin Trudeau is a Canadian figure skater too

I'm not surprised

I love how they continue to hype this jordan greenway kid as the first black player in olympic hockey.
his mom is white, his absentee dad was black.
but somehow he's a black player.
funny how quickly his white heritage is marginalized.
hm, Obama much?
<{dayum}>

he's talented I guess, he's just big.
that's great.
it's just stupid how the media tries to politicize shit.
let them play.

lol he's not that good.
just slashed for no reason, pp slovakia.
boom, goal.
idiot

Last edited:
i kinda would like to see some full disclosure as to which athletes have been given "therapeutic use exemptions" while competing.

the norwegian cross country team is killing it but after googling i came across some links that they have the most "TUE" for asthma inhalers.

there's just no way these young prime-shape dudes have asthma. it seems like such bullshit.
i'd much prefer if they just let them all juice... or if they made a steroid-mandatory olympics.

Back in the 80's I was in middle school health class. In our textbook, there was a chapter about "steroids in sports". There was a blurb about how many more members of the US track & field team had asthma relative to the rest of the US population.

It ain't new

https://deadspin.com/the-winter-olympics-feature-2-951-of-the-world-s-greate-1823138678

From the article:

The 33-year-old American has been freestyle skiing since 2013 with the single-minded goal of making it to the Olympics. Since the American team is, well, good, she initially competed for her mother’s native Venezuela, before switching her allegiance and representing Hungary, which she was eligible to do because of Hungarian grandparents. Swaney can’t throw a single trick in the halfpipe, and she can barely catch any air to speak of, but that doesn’t matter, since the real competitive portion of her Olympics came before she even traveled to South Korea, as she worked her way onto the team in an effort that was something between a scam and a tale of perseverance.

In order to qualify, Swaney needed to finish within the top 30 at a few World Cup skiing events. After “competing” in halfpipe contests around the world, Swaney finally qualified in December, when she went to a Chinese event while the top skiers in the world were at a more prestigious event in Colorado. She finished 13th out of 15, which has nothing to do with her actually besting anyone, since, once again, she doesn’t even do any tricks. Other people fell or certain events simply featured fewer than 30 competitors, which let her sneak in. That’s her gameplan: show up and stay upright.

Because a few competitors pulled out of the Olympics with injury, because of limits on how many skiers from a single country can compete in the same event, and because of some arcane reallocation rules within the Hungarian ski federation designed to balance men’s and women’s competitors, Swaney got to go do her fake run in Pyeongchang. The Denver Post reported that some actually competitive skiers are less than thrilled with Swaney’s presence at the Games, and they even a got a slopestyle judge to explain exactly how her scam worked.

“The field is not that deep in the women’s pipe and she went to every World Cup, where there were only 24, 25, or 28 women,” said longtime FIS ski halfpipe and slopestyle judge Steele Spence. “She would compete in them consistently over the last couple years and sometimes girls would crash so she would not end up dead last. There are going to be changes to World Cup quotas and qualifying to be eligible for the Olympics. Those things are in the works so technically you need to qualify up through the system.”

Apparently, rules might tighten and people like Swaney might not get to go to the Olympics. For now, however, she gets to represent Hungary and, as she said, “inspire others in Hungary and the world to become involved in freestyle skiing,” by doing one limp 180.

I don't watch the winter olympics. Can anyone tell me if there are any rags-to-riches luge/giant slalom/Ice Dancing stories I should read about?

I don't watch the winter olympics. Can anyone tell me if there are any rags-to-riches luge/giant slalom/Ice Dancing stories I should read about?
People are blowing the women's Nigerian bobsled team as an inspirational story.

I'm waiting for this to be turned into a remake of "Cool Runnings" with Melissa McCarthy in the John Candy role.

All I know is the youtube section is a f*cking trainwreck

"recap" reels that barely cover anything close to a full day's worth of events

horrible breakdowns and analysis of the sports themselves (nobody needs to keep hearing how old the sport of TKD or Judo is historically, tell viewers what techniques are on display, analyze aggression, accuracy, form, etc)

2018 winter olympics videos wildly entwined with 2012, 2014, 2016 olympic highlight reels so every video is immediately followed by a time warp via the recommendeds

not one kick in TKD or maneuver in Freestyle wrestling was spotted/identified by announcers

absolutely shameful sports coverage. If you know you're going to be going live during the gold finals in an olympic sport do your f*cking homework

I'm waiting for this to be turned into a remake of "Cool Runnings" with Melissa McCarthy in the John Candy role.
I thought Amy Shoemer is slimming down for that role

- Jazmine Fenlator-Victorian (born August 29, 1985) is an America-born bobsledder who was one of three pilots of the U.S. Olympic Bobsled team for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi before opting to compete for her father's native country of Jamaica from 2016.

Fenlator grew up in Wayne, New Jersey and graduated from Wayne Valley High School.[1]

- Carrie Russell (born 18 October 1990) is a Jamaican sprinter[1] and bobsledder. She competed in the 4x100 metres relay event at the 2013 World Championships in Athletics, winning a gold medal. She is from the parish of St. Thomas. She attended the St. Thomas Technical High School. She was also the bronze medallist at the 2006 World Junior Championships in Athletics.[2]

In addition to her athletics career, Russell has competed as a bobsleigh brakeman for Jamaica since the 2016-17 season. In January 2018 she was part of the Jamaican bobsleigh crew that secured qualification for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyongchang, South Korea, the first time that a Jamaican women's team would compete at the Winter Olympics.[3]

Wikiepdia

Also, a former German medalist was hired as the coach and even paid for the Bobsled for the Jamacian Team. Then, just before the Olympics, they fired her. The president of the association then places his brother in the coaching position.

https://deadspin.com/jamaican-bobsled-teams-olympics-in-jeopardy-over-sled-d-1823006865

Not sure why so many puff pieces....

Sorry to sound cynical, but it reads to me like:

- American bobsledder's best days are behind her. So, she switches to another team/country so she can make another Olympics. She can qualify as a member of the Jamaican Olympic team because her dad was born there.

- To get a team, the Jamaican association hired a coach and needed her to pay for the equipment. Once the training has been complete (and the equipment has been purchased), the association's president fires her to install his brother in the coaching position.

Will this be added to the movie?

Last edited:
Although firing the bobsled coach once the check cleared seemed in poor taste, it's still not as sketchy as this couple from the last Olympics.

https://deadspin.com/dominicas-fake-ski-team-scammed-the-olympics-and-the-p-1529973935

Cliffs:

Couple in their 40s like to ski.
So, they paid money to be a citizen of a country without snow.
Some countries literally let you buy citizenship by "investing" in their country/bank
Couple used their new citizenship to participate in the Olympics.
Couple got bios in PEOPLE magazine and the like.
Couple didn't do well in the Olympics.

Last edited:
Here is another feel good story:

https://deadspin.com/the-winter-olympics-feature-2-951-of-the-world-s-greate-1823138678

Cliffs:
Woman likes to ski on a frozen tube.
Woman wants to go to the olympics by skiing on a frozen tube.
Woman is not good enough to compete for the American team.
Woman sets her sights on skiing for the Venezuelan team, because her mom was from there.
Woman not good enough to Ski for Venezuela
Woman sets her sights on competing for the Hungarian frozen tube team...because her grandparents are from there.
Woman has enough cash to travel the world entering as many qualifiers as possible to hit the magic "I finished in the Top 30" #.
Luckily, one of the qualifiers was at the same time as a bigger and more prestigious qualifier (I assume a couple of women fell at that one).
Now, she can tell the world she skied in the Olympics.

Someone tell Wheaties.

I thought the olympics ended these fraud/incompetent competitors 20+ yrs ago.

I remember questioning Canada's right to send an 800m runner to Barcelona. The Canadian record had just been broken, the previous one was from 1962! The fastest Canadian time ever (at the time) was 1:46 and Kenya had 12 runners go sub-1:44 that year. I seriously questioned whether we should field an 800m runner in 1992. Luckily Freddy Williams from South Africa became Canadian and was legit.

These jokesters should be mocked, not lauded - IMO.

I thought the olympics ended these fraud/incompetent competitors 20+ yrs ago.

I remember questioning Canada's right to send an 800m runner to Barcelona. The Canadian record had just been broken, the previous one was from 1962! The fastest Canadian time ever (at the time) was 1:46 and Kenya had 12 runners go sub-1:44 that year. I seriously questioned whether we should field an 800m runner in 1992. Luckily Freddy Williams from South Africa became Canadian and was legit.

These jokesters should be mocked, not lauded - IMO.

I could have sworn that I read something that states that an athlete in the Olympics must be a citizen of the country they are representing AND have at least two years of residency.

All I know is the youtube section is a f*cking trainwreck

"recap" reels that barely cover anything close to a full day's worth of events

horrible breakdowns and analysis of the sports themselves (nobody needs to keep hearing how old the sport of TKD or Judo is historically, tell viewers what techniques are on display, analyze aggression, accuracy, form, etc)

2018 winter olympics videos wildly entwined with 2012, 2014, 2016 olympic highlight reels so every video is immediately followed by a time warp via the recommendeds

not one kick in TKD or maneuver in Freestyle wrestling was spotted/identified by announcers

absolutely shameful sports coverage. If you know you're going to be going live during the gold finals in an olympic sport do your f*cking homework
{<huh}

Snowboard big air is what im here for. 1st qualification runs were huge. Im excited for the 2nd group of dudes to go.

From the article:

The 33-year-old American has been freestyle skiing since 2013 with the single-minded goal of making it to the Olympics. Since the American team is, well, good, she initially competed for her mother’s native Venezuela, before switching her allegiance and representing Hungary, which she was eligible to do because of Hungarian grandparents. Swaney can’t throw a single trick in the halfpipe, and she can barely catch any air to speak of, but that doesn’t matter, since the real competitive portion of her Olympics came before she even traveled to South Korea, as she worked her way onto the team in an effort that was something between a scam and a tale of perseverance.

In order to qualify, Swaney needed to finish within the top 30 at a few World Cup skiing events. After “competing” in halfpipe contests around the world, Swaney finally qualified in December, when she went to a Chinese event while the top skiers in the world were at a more prestigious event in Colorado. She finished 13th out of 15, which has nothing to do with her actually besting anyone, since, once again, she doesn’t even do any tricks. Other people fell or certain events simply featured fewer than 30 competitors, which let her sneak in. That’s her gameplan: show up and stay upright.

Because a few competitors pulled out of the Olympics with injury, because of limits on how many skiers from a single country can compete in the same event, and because of some arcane reallocation rules within the Hungarian ski federation designed to balance men’s and women’s competitors, Swaney got to go do her fake run in Pyeongchang. The Denver Post reported that some actually competitive skiers are less than thrilled with Swaney’s presence at the Games, and they even a got a slopestyle judge to explain exactly how her scam worked.

“The field is not that deep in the women’s pipe and she went to every World Cup, where there were only 24, 25, or 28 women,” said longtime FIS ski halfpipe and slopestyle judge Steele Spence. “She would compete in them consistently over the last couple years and sometimes girls would crash so she would not end up dead last. There are going to be changes to World Cup quotas and qualifying to be eligible for the Olympics. Those things are in the works so technically you need to qualify up through the system.”

Apparently, rules might tighten and people like Swaney might not get to go to the Olympics. For now, however, she gets to represent Hungary and, as she said, “inspire others in Hungary and the world to become involved in freestyle skiing,” by doing one limp 180.

I can understand the anger from the other legit skiers, but someone like her has to find the loopholes in the systems so the Olympic committee can tighten the rules.

And 3 years of doing this and she can do a single trick? Not even a ski grab? So she would just go to events and do her run then go back to Hungary and don't practice? You think with 3 years of training you can do simple tricks like a ski grab, don't expect her to do flips and spins...but not even a ski grab? If I was a skier i would be angry too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back