Will Sega comeback to Console Business?

images

Maybe something like this, but more portable with upgraded graphics.

a portable Dreamcast with upgraded graphics and 3g wifi is needed.

No I don't think they will, the only way it happens is if Microsoft decides to get out of the console market, but even in that scenario its not that likely to happen.

Sega used to be the enemy back in the Nes days, now they're one of my favorite devs and companies. Dreamcast was the last console I owned, it was a trip playing that thing back when its only competition was ps2 and Gamecube.

What I would really like to see is Nintendo, Sega team up to make a console, imagine the games and crossovers.

too much risk being in the hardware business.

they'd just sell their console at a loss meanwhile praying their 1st party software and licensing breaks through into the black.

I kind of hope so, but it's hard to forgive Sega for the whole Shenmue 2 cock tease ending.

I kind of hope so, but it's hard to forgive Sega for the whole Shenmue 2 cock tease ending.
Don't need Sega to create another console to see Shenmue continue since Shenmue 3 is coming to the PS4 and PC.

There literally hasn't been any news on Shenmue 3 since its E3 reveal, I'd wait a while longer before declaring it a success.

I never had a chance to play Shenmue 1 and 2, I'd love it if they'd re release them in HD while everyone waits for 3.
They sent out a KS e-mail the other day.

What do they make software wise nowadays? SEGA, the flagship for them as I remember it as a kid was Sonic and the last couple have been AWFUL.

What do they make software wise nowadays? SEGA, the flagship for them as I remember it as a kid was Sonic and the last couple have been AWFUL.

http://www.sega.co.uk/games

Last few Sonics - Thats more on Sonic Team than Sega's fault
Plus for the latest 2D Sonic they passed that onto PagodaWest Games/Headcannon/Christian Whitehead to do so theres some hope there.

Sony has huge issues but they can spinoff the game business as a viable separate enterprise. It makes a ton of money. Nintendo has nothing apart from games.
True, Nintendo only does games. The thing that a lot of critiques seem to forget (and I've heard this for over 20 years) is that they do really well at it and tend to rake in a very healthy profit in the process.

In the meantime, Sony does have more than just games. In which case they have been regularly declining in their market share in Cell Phones, OEM PCs and Laptops, high-end Audio and Video equipment and have been losing money on a regular basis for the almost a decade within their film division. Sure they can spin the Gaming division off into their own entity, but to do so would mean leaving everything else to shut down and die. Which, regardless of how I view Sony, I'd rather they not do.

Besides, you're the one who brought the metric and source to the fore. I'm just pointing out something from that source that you failed to.

After they let down us Saturn owners years back I said I would never buy a Sega system again. Their games are fine but they should not enter the system market again.

After they let down us Saturn owners years back I said I would never buy a Sega system again. Their games are fine but they should not enter the system market again.

Saturn still had a few great games, like Panzer Dragoon Saga and a bunch of arcade ports (Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter Alpha etc).

Only thing that I want from Sega is a paid-for Chao Garden app for the iPad, complete with mini-games to earn those little crystal things...

Saturn still had a few great games, like Panzer Dragoon Saga and a bunch of arcade ports (Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter Alpha etc).

Only thing that I want from Sega is a paid-for Chao Garden app for the iPad, complete with mini-games to earn those little crystal things...

I don’t want to bash the Saturn, I own one and it was very good system with a great library, it was the fighters system of the day. But Sega had a bad rollout, the system had many flaws for instance the lithium battery would die, and if records were not backed up you lose a lot. The hardware was apparently hard to develop for as well. The big problem I and many others had was that SEGA decided to stop bringing games out in America but continued in Japan, this also happened years later with Dreamcast. Many big games came out like Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter 3 which I bought through the mail with the ram pack to play them. They had decided to go with the development of the Dreamcast and forget about us Saturn owners. It left a bad taste in our mouths.

I don’t want to bash the Saturn, I own one and it was very good system with a great library, it was the fighters system of the day. But Sega had a bad rollout, the system had many flaws for instance the lithium battery would die, and if records were not backed up you lose a lot. The hardware was apparently hard to develop for as well. The big problem I and many others had was that SEGA decided to stop bringing games out in America but continued in Japan, this also happened years later with Dreamcast. Many big games came out like Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter 3 which I bought through the mail with the ram pack to play them. They had decided to go with the development of the Dreamcast and forget about us Saturn owners. It left a bad taste in our mouths.

I went from Mega Drive to Sega Saturn to Dreamcast, but luckily I was too young to feel that sense of abandonment. I just remember being blown away by seeing Sonic Adventure on the system in my local Toys R Us and seeing images of Virtual Fighter 3, Sega Rally 2 and the earlier version of Metropolis Street Racer in the Official Saturn Magazine. Such a big leap in graphics and potential, a feeling that more modern gamers probably won't get.

The Saturn had a palette issue too, developers only having access to a narrower range of colours than the PlayStation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back