Will pure boxing gyms add a meaningful dimension to striking?

This is the conditioning in TKD: push ups 30, 20, 10. Sit-ups: 50.(may do 50 more later in the session). Leg and stomach excersises ( 30 repetitions), and a few typical military drills, lying on the floor keeping the feet up in the air for 1 minute, stuff like that. But it's really not challenging if you train regularly.

If you've ever been inside a boxing gym, you'll notice that most of the guys there don't have impressive physiques. Even the boxers on TV in the pros, very few of them are impressive looking. I don't think boxing for looks is that effective. Almost everyone in kickboxing is cut or at least lean (a LOT more than boxing), so if you're doing it for that, go to kickboxing.

I
Luckily untrained shitheads won't be able to throw a kick worth shit.

A recreational kicker will not be able to go Bruce Lee on someone in the street, while wearing jeans and without warm-up. It's usually punching and /or grappling that results.

If you've ever been inside a boxing gym, you'll notice that most of the guys there don't have impressive physiques. Even the boxers on TV in the pros, very few of them are impressive looking. I don't think boxing for looks is that effective. Almost everyone in kickboxing is cut or at least lean (a LOT more than boxing), so if you're doing it for that, go to kickboxing.

ESPN rated Boxing nr 1.....

ESPN rated Boxing nr 1.....

For athletic difficulty at the highest competitive level. Not for "physique"

I mean do what you want but boxing can still leave you looking like Chris Areola or a lot of guys who aren't fat but just aren't impressive physique-wise (about 90 or more %). The guys in boxing with "physique" are mostly the same guys who had it (or would have had it) in highschool or earlier (before/without boxing) doing any sport because of genetics.

If it's for physique, take kickboxing, that's something I'm sure of.

What else are you trying to get out of it that you don't already have?

For athletic difficulty at the highest competitive level. Not for "physique"

I mean do what you want but boxing can still leave you looking like Chris Areola or a lot of guys who aren't fat but just aren't impressive physique-wise (about 90 or more %). The guys in boxing with "physique" are mostly the same guys who had it (or would have had it) in highschool or earlier (before/without boxing) doing any sport because of genetics.

If it's for physique, take kickboxing, that's something I'm sure of.

What else are you trying to get out of it that you don't already have?

ESPN rated boxing nr 1 in physical conditioning. Traditional Boxers are conditioned to go 15 rounds of fighting. Can you name any other sport that can compare with that?

I just want to know if boxing trainers think I have good hands, in which case it would be quite interesting to see how much potential I have in boxing.

Sparred some dude who was on the England TKD team, not sure how much boxing he'd done before but I know it wasn't his first time in the boxing gym, he was decent but not quite at the level of an amateur boxer.

Sparred some dude who was on the England TKD team, not sure how much boxing he'd done before but I know it wasn't his first time in the boxing gym, he was decent but not quite at the level of an amateur boxer.

Thank you for that anecdote.

I don't really agree with that. Boxers and kikcboxers look the same physically. Let alone that athletes on that level all do S&C and what they do there is more important for looks.
Generally FTR fighters eem to be the lankiest probably because they train the most oldschool and because the wanna be extra tall for their weight because of the clinch.

Using Arreola is a bad example since he was basically the fattest high level HW around in recent years and well he's a HW. In K-1 and Glory you find HWs looking just like him.
Early 2000s K-1 had a ton of super muscular HWs but that was in Japan in the same realm where PRIDE had written clauses in their contracts about not testing for steroids.
Normal drug testing is weak as well but still not nothing and if you compare that to boxing then compare it to the 90s were every HW boxer looked juiced to the tits

ESPN rated boxing nr 1 in physical conditioning. Traditional Boxers are conditioned to go 15 rounds of fighting. Can you name any other sport that can compare with that?

I just want to know if boxing trainers think I have good hands, in which case it would be quite interesting to see how much potential I have in boxing.

That is true but a starter has a long way to go to find a good coach and prepare you for 15 rounds. You need money for that and that is not hitting the gym five times a week. Pro fighters spend their entire days in the gym. My coach is a pro MMA fighter and here is how his day looks like.

7 am starts his body weight conditioning in a open spot with tires and equipment for body weight. The work out lasts 45 mins.
9 am he travels to another city for bjj.
10 am bjj work out - lasts 1 hour
10 am wrestling - 45 mins
12 pm he travels to another town for some kick boxing.
1 pm - private session with a striking coach that lasts for 1 hour.

4 pm he starts private lessons with his best students in his gym
5 pm he has few spar rounds with some of his best students
6 pm private lessons with less advanced students
8 pm he leads a group

Keep in mind that he used to be a professional cook so he cooks for himself.

So it is not that simple to as you say it. Most sports have amateur level where the basics are olympics before going pro. Boxing for olympics is perhaps the most competitive sport after football.

A recreational kicker will not be able to go Bruce Lee on someone in the street, while wearing jeans and without warm-up. It's usually punching and /or grappling that results.

True indeed. Leg kicks just really ruined striking for me. Was in love with it until the local boxing coach left and had to move over to kickboxing. Just wasn't into it

@ TS

Apart from taking classes what helped me a whole lot is watching tutorial vids on youtube by guys like JT van V

Or great trainers/(ex) boxers like Freddie Roach, Ricky Hatton and many more

Of course you can only really learn doing it. But this has given me a big advantage during classes and sparring sessions compared to other guys who didnt give boxing any thought outside of class. This way it's also easier to pick up what the trainer is talking about

Back