Will pure boxing gyms add a meaningful dimension to striking?

Anyone at a boxing gym who's trained seriously for 6-8 months will take you to the cleaners. You're a non-boxer walking into a boxing gym. Be like water.

I started in pure Muay Thai and still consider myself to be a purist

That said, the boxing jab is the best jab in all striking arts. I spent a couple months back in the day learning the jab from a straight boxing gym and it helped me a ton.

How was the boxing jab different from the Muay Thai one?

Anyone at a boxing gym who's trained seriously for 6-8 months will take you to the cleaners. You're a non-boxer walking into a boxing gym. Be like water.

I've done above the waist Kickboxing rules for 2 and a half years... And my hands are stronger. My kicks suck.

i think having experience with your hands will help; the thing is who you have that experience against, and the level of instruction you have received.

but on avg your lack of refinement and focus on boxing will be exposed...and if u tell them u have experience they won't put u in w/their very worst guy (i.e. unathletic / unskilled guy) and even if they did and u run game on them is that something to be proud of.

that like me submitting a awful whitebelt...its not a great look for me..just like a 15-1 pro mma fighter piecing me up isnt a great look for them...

i think ur underestimating the layers athleticism and skill of legitimate boxers...

Please put up a video of your first sparring session in the boxing club.

Problem is that I won't get to spar on a free tryout, so how will I know if I like it or not.

Going from a TKD club to a boxing gym will be a huge wake up call. TKD gyms are for pure hobbyists (15-16 year olds lol), the competition based progression system of boxing is probably going to be a completely different level. Just like wrestling in America the boxing system knows how to breed fighters correctly. Its very different than TKD is what everyone is trying to tell you. (Even if above the waist kickboxing does help translate, its not nearly as much as you think)

That being said, boxing has some very bad habits for kickboxing and MMA, since you consider yourself a 'martial artist'. But you are at a level where the benefits outweigh the negatives tenfold. The improvement in your hands will be 100x whatever bad habits you may pick up from boxing.

If you were a true martial artist you wouldnt go to one gym at a time though, maybe for the first couple months but then you would split time between all the styles of fighting or whatever.

Last edited:
Lol so you're a grown ass man in your physical prime and think you can hang with high level boxers because you can beat up 16 year old kids and old men in a shitty TKD gym.

I'd rather not delve into the cringyness of this thread so, just answering the question in the title. Boxing is the only striking art that improves your ability in others. There's no such thing as boxers with kickboxing coaches but the opposite is extremely common.

The distinction between pure boxing and boxing for other combat sports is almost entirely imaginary. The only thing that I can think of that has little place in MMA is modern infighting and, even then, you can use head pressure against the ropes/cage to free up both your hands so its not totally useless.

Last edited:
I'd rather not delve into the cringyness of this thread so, just answering the question in the title. Boxing is the only striking art that improves your ability in others. There's no such thing as boxers with kickboxing coaches but the opposite is extremely common.
Boxing is part of quite a few diff sports/arts (KB, MMA, MT etc etc) but none of those is a part of boxing. I always thought that was an interesting dynamic.

If you have no desire to compete then what the hell difference does it make? If boxing is fun, train it.

If you have no desire to compete then what the hell difference does it make? If boxing is fun, train it.

Some of the training in foot movement looks pretty boring and irrelevant for those who don't want to compete. I want application mainly - mitts, sparring, and as little line training as possible. Had enough of that shit with katas.

Some of the training in foot movement looks pretty boring and irrelevant for those who don't want to compete. I want application mainly - mitts, sparring, and as little line training as possible. Had enough of that shit with katas.

Sparring is a form of competition.

It's like saying you want to play baseball but don't like the concept of a ball.

Boxing uses footwork and if you don't want to practice it why would you want to spar or hit mitts? HOW would you spar or hit mitts if you don't practice footwork?

And then the lord said "feed the troll", and thus the troll was fed.

Sparring is a form of competition.

It's like saying you want to play baseball but don't like the concept of a ball.

Boxing uses footwork and if you don't want to practice it why would you want to spar or hit mitts? HOW would you spar or hit mitts if you don't practice footwork?

Competition entails that you go for the KO. In sparring you don't. I want to train footwork but not for longer than 15 mins per training, maximum. Not like entire sessions, such as the worst days of TKD training,

I genuinely am not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you just want to smash things and not train in martial arts.

I genuinely am not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you just want to smash things and not train in martial arts.

I was the best athlete in school and always sought challenges wherever I could find them. I even wrestled a wrestler to stalemate, because my adrenalin was so jacked by the mere presence of a rival. I wrestled him as if my life was on the line. To outdo someone else, excel, is what I seek in the martial art. That's why I seek sparring. I have non of that in TKD, but I do like smashing mitts.

Well most boxing gyms are semi self directed, you just go in and work on something and the coaches will come over and give you advice. So you could just wail on the heavy bag and spar or whatever. You won't ever get as good as the people who train properly, but you could just do the "fun" stuff.

Well most boxing gyms are semi self directed, you just go in and work on something and the coaches will come over and give you advice. So you could just wail on the heavy bag and spar or whatever. You won't ever get as good as the people who train properly, but you could just do the "fun" stuff.

Good. The thing about traditional martial arts is that you get massive exposure to lots of techniques but no specialization in anything. In boxing, there's a few techniques drilled massively. I also don't really believe in kicking from a philosophical standpoint. Even sparring a 4th dan in TKD, I just wait for him to land his kicking combo and then he's mine with the boxing, unless he steps out.

Back