Will pure boxing gyms add a meaningful dimension to striking?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By that I mean beyond the sparring, sport aspect of Boxing? If you have no ambitions to compete, will a boxing gym still be a valuable expansion to ones striking?

What has been your experience? Were you hooked by it or did you return to Kickboxing/Muay Thai?

I can only realistically afford to do one at a time, and I'm concidering trying it out, but I guess I will have to stay a while to get the full package of training. I feel my progress in TKD- Kickboxing has stagnated and that makes me less inclined to continue. Pure Kickboxing is too similiar to my TKD club.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Boxing is very under rated.

How about the fighting apect of it? Can I keep my in and out- sparring style from Karate? Is there a lot of dogma in Boxing? The pro boxers sure don't look the same, so I'm curious if the fundamentals taught are more dogmatic.

what you learn from boxing is how to hit and not get hit.

Boxing will add to your game way more if you have a background in TKD.

Boxing will add to your game way more if you have a background in TKD.

How long will I have to train until I'm decent by recreational standards - can read my opponents, master the footwork, etc? Is the learning curve in boxing on average fast?

The only thing I fear is that I pay a hefty amount of money and end up finding it one dimensional, sport geared. But I'm very competitive and would love to spar high level guys, to challenge myself. My TKD club is very, very weak. The students are either old or 15-16... Nothing in-between.

Yes. It will ad a meaningful dimension to your striking. With the exception of gloves, it's almost perfectly translatable to any other time you're fighting with your hands.

How long it takes you get decent is about you. How fast you learn, how hard you train, etc.

I don't know what you mean by one dimensional. It's boxing, not MMA. You're going to learn how to box, not grapple and not kick. There are no elbows, headbutts or knees (not legally). So, if you want those things, boxing isn't the right choice.

Beyond that, it's extremely useful to know how to box even if it's just the basics.

Yes. It will ad a meaningful dimension to your striking. With the exception of gloves, it's almost perfectly translatable to any other time you're fighting with your hands.

How long it takes you get decent is about you. How fast you learn, how hard you train, etc.

I don't know what you mean by one dimensional. It's boxing, not MMA. You're going to learn how to box, not grapple and not kick. There are no elbows, headbutts or knees (not legally). So, if you want those things, boxing isn't the right choice.

Beyond that, it's extremely useful to know how to box even if it's just the basics.

I mean if I will grow tired of the one dimensionality of only punching. I guess it will depend on how good I get at it.

I would also like to know how hard the hardest sparring level is for recreational dudes. Will I experience full contact eventually? Aren't there insurance issues if a gym allows that?

I would also like to know how hard the hardest sparring level is for recreational dudes. Will I experience full contact eventually? Aren't there insurance issues if a gym allows that?
Intensity of the spar is going to vary from gym to gym. If you don't want to spar hard, let your partner or trainer know before hand.
Sparring at full intensity is important to practice every now and then, even recreationally.
Most gyms have you sign a waiver excusing them from liability. Still, most gyms do pay a good premium for insurance anyway.

How long will I have to train until I'm decent by recreational standards - can read my opponents, master the footwork, etc? Is the learning curve in boxing on average fast?

It depends on the individual, but generally the more work you put in, faster the process. Boxing gym environment also has a vibe of "show me what you got" type of attitude from the coaches. They'll show you basic stance, footwork, and punches but really that'll be about it until you can demonstrate it well in live sparring.

I'd recommend right after they teach you the stance and basic punches, shadow box in front of your mirror at your house and keep drilling it over and over again. You'd be surprised how quickly you'll pick it up if you do that.

The only thing I fear is that I pay a hefty amount of money and end up finding it one dimensional, sport geared. But I'm very competitive and would love to spar high level guys, to challenge myself. My TKD club is very, very weak. The students are either old or 15-16... Nothing in-between.
You would get absolutely smoked sparring at any decent boxing gym by newbies, let alone high level guys. It's not enough to just spar. It's a craft and you have to learn the fundamentals.

It depends on the individual, but generally the more work you put in, faster the process. Boxing gym environment also has a vibe of "show me what you got" type of attitude from the coaches. They'll show you basic stance, footwork, and punches but really that'll be about it until you can demonstrate it well in live sparring.

I'd recommend right after they teach you the stance and basic punches, shadow box in front of your mirror at your house and keep drilling it over and over again. You'd be surprised how quickly you'll pick it up if you do that.

We have shadow boxing in my TKD, and 60-65%% contact level in sparring. No headgear. Many times hands-only sparring. I've been there 2 and a half years. Given that... Is it completely out of the question to have me spar some dude semi contact first day? To get a feel for it? I'm expecting to be on the defensive mostly, but I don't believe an average dude would run over me..

You would get absolutely smoked sparring at any decent boxing gym by newbies, let alone high level guys. It's not enough to just spar. It's a craft and you have to learn the fundamentals.

I've sparred a guy who did boxing in my TKD, hands only sparring. He was 50+ but still hits like a horse and moved very well. Not a scratch on me.

We have shadow boxing in my TKD, and 60-65%% contact level in sparring. No headgear. Many times hands-only sparring. I've been there 2 and a half years. Given that... Is it completely out of the question to have me spar some dude semi contact first day? To get a feel for it? I'm expecting to be on the defensive mostly, but I don't believe an average dude would run over me..

I don't think it'd be a good idea unless it's touch spar. Using just hands require special attention to the fundamentals such as proper footwork.

I don't think it'd be a good idea unless it's touch spar. Using just hands require special attention to the fundamentals such as proper footwork.

just because someone trains in something doesn't mean he's any good at it. I"ve seen pro boxers (very weak ones) in heavyweight divisions move like elephants.

I've sparred a guy who did boxing in my TKD, hands only sparring. He was 50+ but still hits like a horse and moved very well. Not a scratch on me.
Some 50+ year old guy at your TKD club who claims to have "boxing" experience is not a good measuring stick. Go to a good boxing gym and spar even an amateur. Put up a vid please.

just because someone trains in something doesn't mean he's any good at it. I"ve seen pro boxers (very weak ones) in heavyweight divisions move like elephants.

Sure, feel free to go at it. You are the one that asked and I just gave my take on it.

Some 50+ year old guy at your TKD club who claims to have "boxing" experience is not a good measuring stick. Go to a good boxing gym and spar even an amateur. Put up a vid please.

I'm starting to get a feeling we are dealing with a daily "training troll"

Back