Will pure boxing gyms add a meaningful dimension to striking?

Some 50+ year old guy at your TKD club who claims to have "boxing" experience is not a good measuring stick. Go to a good boxing gym and spar even an amateur. Put up a vid please.

He was taken from his boxing gym when he befriended my TKD instructor in the 80s, who encouraged him to try out TKD.

He was taken from his boxing gym when he befriended my TKD instructor in the 80s, who encouraged him to try out TKD.
So it's been 30 years since he boxed, if he even knew how to box, boxed at a good gym or had any fights. Got it.

You will get pieced up. Please go do it, spar, record and upload!

You will get pieced up. Please go do it, spar, record and upload!

You seriously think I would get pieced up by their worst guy? Have you seen the average student at anything? Most people doing martial arts are mediocre.

You seriously think I would get pieced up by their worst guy? Have you seen the average student at anything? Most people doing martial arts are mediocre.
The absolute worst guy? I don't know. Probably not. It depends on the gym. If it just someone who knows nothing about boxing then you might not.

You said you wanted to spar with high level guys. You somehow expect to be competitive with even amateur boxers?

I mean if I will grow tired of the one dimensionality of only punching. I guess it will depend on how good I get at it.

I don't think you'll get tired of it. It's an extremely deep discipline. Guys spend years training it and never master all of it's intricacies.

But if you've grown tired of other martial arts then you might grow tired of boxing too. It depends on why you grew tired of those others. I can see the problem if you were training with people too young or too old to bring the right level of challenge and mentality to training (something that happens with TMA's when they don't use enough physical rigor to weed out people). But most boxing gyms, if they're serious, shouldn't have that problem.

The absolute worst guy? I don't know. Probably not. It depends on the gym. If it just someone who knows nothing about boxing then you might not.

You said you wanted to spar with high level guys. You somehow expect to be competitive with even amateur boxers?

Someone who knows boxing, but is not good. Then progressively move up. It was not pleasent facing the 50 year old dude (who has gone a match btw) in hands only sparring. I was 100% focused and moved more than I usually do. And I liked it.. Got very tired though

Someone who knows boxing, but is not good. Then progressively move up. It was not pleasent facing the 50 year old dude (who has gone a match btw) in hands only sparring. I was 100% focused and moved more than I usually do. And I liked it.. Got very tired though
Yeah take your time. Have fun.

If it's a good gym then, yeah, even the worst guy will probably give you trouble on day 1. It's a completely different beast than the average karate/TKD gyms where they let low athleticism guys float along and progress by demonstrating technique and kata in an environment that isn't directly competitive.

If he's 50+ and you're under 30 then he'd better not have given you any trouble in a discipline that he hasn't trained in 30 years.

Unless he's either formerly good enough to compete at the highest levels or you're a subpar athlete. Age and speed alone should win that fight.

If he's 50+ and you're under 30 then he'd better not have given you any trouble in a discipline that he hasn't trained in 30 years.

Unless he's either formerly good enough to compete at the highest levels or you're a subpar athlete. Age and speed alone should win that fight.

He trained long enough to have a fight. Sano claimed a f*n newbie would beat me.

You sound too closed minded for it to add anything for you, sorry to say.

Your preconceptions will hold you back and make it a waste of time, no matter how good the instruction is, imo.

He trained long enough to have a fight. Sano claimed a f*n newbie would beat me.

I'm not knocking him, just saying that 30 years away from formal training means he might as well be a newbie in many ways.

I'm not knocking him, just saying that 30 years away from formal training means he might as well be a newbie in many ways.

From pure boxing, but not drilling boxing techniques, which we do on a daily basis.

I have sooo much more dynamic hands than feets, and my father is a former Yugoslavian and European champ in Shotokan Karate (JKA). There must be some overlap between abilities in Karate and Boxing......Or else I wonder why my jab is so good for someone who hasn't taken a day of boxing.

Your jab is "so good" against TKD guys, who by your own admission are 15/16 yo and 50yo men, not serviceable boxers.

The athleticism level alone would be a shock to your ego at a decent boxing gym let alone the technical boxing ability of decent amateurs.

Last edited:
The athleticism level alone would be a shock to your ego at a decent boxing gym let alone the technical boxing ability of decent amateurs.

A decent amateur will surely outscore me. But I bet you I beat their worst guy even without using conventional boxing mechanics besides my jab. 100%.

A decent amateur will surely outscore me. But I bet you I beat their worst guy even without using conventional boxing mechanics besides my jab. 100%.
K.

I started in pure Muay Thai and still consider myself to be a purist

That said, the boxing jab is the best jab in all striking arts. I spent a couple months back in the day learning the jab from a straight boxing gym and it helped me a ton.

Back