Why is tapping to strikes considered a flaw?

when youre in a sub youre pretty much stuck in that position n defenseless

the guy can snap your arm/leg n potentially end your career, so tapping to arm/leg locks is k

chokes might not do as much of a damage on the body, but the feeling of not being able to breathe n choking is one of the worse in the world, so tapping to chokes is also k

the ref will only step in after youre either have a broke limb or are out.

when it comes to strikes the ref will step in before youre out. in other words all you gotta do is cover up n not defend "intelligently". the ref will not wait for a fighter to be completely out to step in.

also tapping to strikes means the fighter wasnt able to tolerate a bit more of pain, which raises questions about his toughness.

like when rory got his nose busted. he fell cause that probably hurt him, but he didnt start tapping. he let the ref step in.

same with chael. as much of a quitter he is, he never taps to strikes. he just curls into fetal position n lets ref step in.

Because people don't care if a fighter has took serious damage
and he wants to protect himself from more damage.
They want to see a hurt fighter get hurt even more.
So tapping to strikes is only frowned upon by people who are
not mature and realise the fighter has had enough.

If your a gsp hater, then it is a flaw to tap to strikes
It's always a flaw to tap to strikes. That's what the fucking ref is in there for to stop the fight when it's over. Lol at all the pussies defending the act of tapping to strikes. This thread is pathetic.

Did Chuck ever really have a chance to tap to strikes though? He was either knocked out cold or beaten silly in a few punches rather than taking extended poundings... er well except the first Rampage fight.
I used Chuck as an example...for guys who thought tapping is weak...

He wasn't really in a position were he should or could have tapped...except for the 1. Rampage fight as you said...
But Randy also put a good beating on him in their first fight and he needed to be saved by the ref...yes that was mostly in the stand up but the ref stoppage came due to strikes from being mounted...there was no way out and he didn't tap

It's always a flaw to tap to strikes. That's what the fucking ref is in there for to stop the fight when it's over. Lol at all the pussies defending the act of tapping to strikes. This thread is pathetic.
that's ridiculous. shogun tapping to strikes was absolutely the right thing for him to do at that moment and any fucktard suggesting otherwise is a fucktard.

that's ridiculous. shogun tapping to strikes was absolutely the right thing for him to do at that moment and any fucktard suggesting otherwise is a fucktard.
Because it's holy Shogun. Tapping to strikes is a Bitch move no matter what your name is. This isnt an argument. If the damage you are recieving is so bad your corner should throw in the towel like Nick did for Nate against Josh Thomson. You think Nate would ever tap to strikes? Fuck no. Why? Because he thinks of himself as a Samurai. That's why.

It's like those bros that get together to watch fights and talk about how they would never tap to a choke...

They've never felt it, they don't know what it feels like to feel like you're dieing. As much as I'd like to out on a clinic for those fools, I keep my mouth shut and let them continue to live in their fantasy world.

Arm and leg subs I get the tapping but anything else is just quitting.
Don't tap to strikes, don't tap to chokes, the referee is there to stop you getting killed.

The refs are garbage.

Because it's holy Shogun. Tapping to strikes is a Bitch move no matter what your name is. This isnt an argument. If the damage you are recieving is so bad your corner should throw in the towel like Nick did for Nate against Josh Thomson. You think Nate would ever tap to strikes? Fuck no. Why? Because he thinks of himself as a Samurai. That's why.

lol. fuck that shit. bitch move?? lol. who the fuck are you? lol at fuckin samurai. this aint the fuckin movies. nate is tougher than shogun? more of a warrior? would you have said that before the jones fight? why did nate's samurai corner not just let him take his beating like a man and wait for the ref to stop it? once the outcome is certain there's absolutely no reason to take any additional punishment. shogun was finished whether he tapped or not and he owes fuckin noone to take more damage. doesn't owe some fucktard neckbeard on a msg board with some fucked up concept of a fighter.

Because it's sherdog and nobody here would ever tap to strikes

You tap from a choke bc you could die. You tap from Strikes because you are protecting your face. Big difference.

That wasn't a particularly bright statement. There's far less damage done to you if you're choked unconscious and the choke is then let go than it is for you to take several undefended punches to the head. And I'm of course talking brain damage, the additional damage done by the punches (to bones and tissue) is just a bonus. So yes, it's a big difference but in the completely opposite way of your point.

It used to be okay. I remember those days, back when I first joined. However, as the sport got more popular, it brought on more fans, and they got worse. Much worse. Also, everything these days is about the retardation that is "trolling."

when youre in a sub youre pretty much stuck in that position n defenseless

the guy can snap your arm/leg n potentially end your career, so tapping to arm/leg locks is k

chokes might not do as much of a damage on the body, but the feeling of not being able to breathe n choking is one of the worse in the world, so tapping to chokes is also k

the ref will only step in after youre either have a broke limb or are out.

when it comes to strikes the ref will step in before youre out. in other words all you gotta do is cover up n not defend "intelligently". the ref will not wait for a fighter to be completely out to step in.

also tapping to strikes means the fighter wasnt able to tolerate a bit more of pain, which raises questions about his toughness.

like when rory got his nose busted. he fell cause that probably hurt him, but he didnt start tapping. he let the ref step in.

same with chael. as much of a quitter he is, he never taps to strikes. he just curls into fetal position n lets ref step in.

I guess you've never trained in any full contact martial art. It doesn't hurt much to get punched in the head, it kind of numbs you unlike being hit to the body. Tapping to strikes to the head is more about trying to prevent brain damage, in addition to a later point I'll make, which is far more relevant than to tap because you can't handle the feeling of being choked (which is also a lesser thing to endure than real pain). I'd never be so pathetic that I'd criticize tapping to a choke anyway though. You know when you've been beaten and to acknowledge that by tapping is nothing but respect to the opponent.

You know when you've been beaten and to acknowledge that by tapping is nothing but respect to the opponent.
Actually it's not. Not tapping is showing respect to your opponent. It shows your opponent they defeated someone courageous and worthy of respect. I'll criticize people who tap too early to chokes, like Sarah Mcmann and Sage Northcutt. I wouldn't tap to those chokes during my first day as a white belt. So yeah, I'll criticize early tapping all I want. There is no excuse for tapping when someone is nowhere near the position needed to properly finish the submission. Besides "strep throat", right?

That wasn't a particularly bright statement. There's far less damage done to you if you're choked unconscious and the choke is then let go than it is for you to take several undefended punches to the head. And I'm of course talking brain damage, the additional damage done by the punches (to bones and tissue) is just a bonus. So yes, it's a big difference but in the completely opposite way of your point.[/QUOTE

Of course captain obvious. My point was INSTINCT. When you tap from a choke it's because you can no longer breathe, air is cut off from your brain. You could die if the choke was held. You tap. I have fought for years....a tight choke is scary as fuck. Brain damage from Strikes takes time. You FEEL the tissue and bone damage. It hurts.....still most guys don't tap from Strikes.

You either come back with your shield or come back on it. That's how the culture of fight sports works, fighters go until they can't, it's up to the refs and their corners to save them from themselves. If you tap to strikes, you're looking for a way out. Is it smart? sure, but there is no discussion that you're looking for a way out and should be questioned.

Same is true for tapping to locks or chokes though.

The main difference is that the long terms consequences of not tapping to strikes is much worse than the long term consequences of not tapping to chokes or submissions.

I think this started back when people didn't realize the long term affects of concussions. It was assumed that being knocked out made no difference, so not continuing until you were out cold was seen as cowardice. Now we know (or at least anyone with medical knowledge) that not tapping to strikes is the most dangerous kind of not tapping, but the old bias is still around. Like most things it'll take awhile for the medical knowledge to filter into common perception.

You tap from a choke bc you could die. You tap from Strikes because you are protecting your face. Big difference.

Long term consequences for not tapping to strikes is far worse than not tapping to a choke (assuming the ref will revive you) or a lock.

Which is why medical associations are trying to get boxing and MMA banned, but have no problem with BJJ and judo with their locks and chokes. Basically, medically its no contest as far as doctors are concerned - strikes have far worse long term affects.

because you should be able to take punches

You should also be able to resist a choke or an armbar.

But the reality is at a certain point, whether its a choke, armbar or punch, you'll reach the point where you're finished.

Because you're supposed to fight, and getting hit is part of that. If you can't take getting hit, don't fight.

When you're in a submission that can do permanent damage to you, its fine to tap. But a blood or wind choke? No way.

Doctors (in fact complete medical associations) will tell you the permanent damage from strikes is worse than from locks or chokes.

Forty years ago no one knew this, and your comment would have been considered true. Now we know better. But it always takes time for medical science (or science in general) to filter into public opinion.

Back