Why is tapping to strikes considered a flaw?

Because you're supposed to fight, and getting hit is part of that. If you can't take getting hit, don't fight.

When you're in a submission that can do permanent damage to you, its fine to tap. But a blood or wind choke? No way.

Something BJ Penn once said to make himself sound tougher..Of course he then quit in his corner.

You either come back with your shield or come back on it. That's how the culture of fight sports works, fighters go until they can't, it's up to the refs and their corners to save them from themselves. If you tap to strikes, you're looking for a way out. Is it smart? sure, but there is no discussion that you're looking for a way out and should be questioned.

So if somebody taps out to an arm bar are they questioned? Fedor tapped out to a choke is he questioned? Brain damage does not heal. A broken arm will.

I see no problem with it. Guys are hurt in a bad way and can't defend themselves.

It's not common because there are a lot of dumb fighters that share the "just bleed"/tapping is for pussies attitude.
Lol Shit makes no sense.
It's ok to tap to getting your arm pulled off, but NOT ok to stop your orbital socket or nose from breaking, or your brains from being beaten into pulp

You (almost) always has a chance to turtle and block your face with your forearms
It doesn't look good either but at least you avoid the get the "Loss by Submission (strikes)" on your record

You tap from a choke bc you could die. You tap from Strikes because you are protecting your face. Big difference.

So nobody ever dies by getting hit in the head?

Strikes are more likely to cause permanent damage than going out from a choke.

Tapping out, having the towel thrown in etc, in my books should be done more. Taking unnecessary damage for the sake of ego is pathetic.

Last edited:
I've seen it brought up multiple times on this forum already, and I just don't get it. It's absolutley acepted in this community to tap to avoid further damage when the fighter is in a submission hold - and rightfully so. Getting chocked out can be potentially deadly, and getting your elbow snapped because you refused to quit while beeing in a locked in juji gatame isn't "manly" or something, it's just dumb. This is a sport contest, not a street fight.
So why are people around here constantly bitching about tapping to strikes?
These guys are professional pricefighters. They've got the heart to step into the octagon multiple times a year and go full contact under a very limited set of rules against a highly trained opponent. I think noone can question their courage.
So why is it bad to tap to strikes? They've been at this point multiple times in training, I'd guess. They know what their body can take, and what not. They get hit badly, they know it is over, why risk anymore unnecessary damage?
Look at the Shogun vs Bones fight. Shogun get's hit with a brutal livershot, crumbels, goes down - he clearly is in no condition to fight anymore - why should he take anymore unnecessary punishment until the ref steps in?
Serious question: Have all these people complaining about quitting been hit by a hard liver shot just once in their life? I've been, and I can tell you, if the liver shot ist hard and accurate enough, you go down, your out of the fight.

Cuz Sherdoggers are tough guys who never give up.

Arm and leg subs I get the tapping but anything else is just quitting.
Don't tap to strikes, don't tap to chokes, the referee is there to stop you getting killed.
This is retarded.

Tapping to strikes should be perfectly acceptable. I do echo other posters in that I would prefer to not see it, because ideally the referee or the corner should have stopped it first.

Well if you know you can't escape a hold there is no shame in tapping, guys like Mark Hunt that would never dream of tapping to strikes in a million years have been submitted multiple times. Then you have guys like Bob Sapp.

A very famous former fighter thought tapping to strikes is/was weak...
He also made fun out of Tito for doing that...
His name is Chuck Liddell...

...and now?...punch drunk speaking...chin is totally gone...
...Tito still making money over in Bellator

A very famous former fighter thought tapping to strikes is/was weak...
He also made fun out of Tito for doing that...
His name is Chuck Liddell...

...and now?...punch drunk speaking...chin is totally gone...
...Tito still making money over in Bellator
Did Chuck ever really have a chance to tap to strikes though? He was either knocked out cold or beaten silly in a few punches rather than taking extended poundings... er well except the first Rampage fight.

Cause most of these fucks have never been punched.

Tapping to strikes can be done properly by tapping out using your face on the opponents fist.

Tapping to strikes should be perfectly acceptable. I do echo other posters in that I would prefer to not see it, because ideally the referee or the corner should have stopped it first.

Tapping to strikes has been frowned upon but imo tapping to a choke is worse.

What's the worse on a choke? You go out, and the ref stops it, you wake up feeling like crap. Back to training for your next fight the next day.
You stay there stuck on bottom taking blow after blow, and you're gonna get brain damage and probably gonna need reconstructive surgery. You're out for awhile, and if you don't have insurance to cover the cost, you're fucked.

sometimes its better to tap
bVMQWkI.gif

Back