Why is tapping to strikes considered a flaw? | Page 6

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Jobuden, Sep 13, 2017.

1. grimballer Red Belt

grimballer
    Wtf?

Hey genius you quoted me, not other way around.

I made a point about Rory dropping on the floor after getting repeatedly hit on the same spot n still not tapping, but letting the ref step in n stop it.

You disagreed with that.

Stop having an argument with yourself

2. FlyingDeathKick Brown Belt

FlyingDeathKick
    Well that's what the ref and your corner is there for. Most top fighters wouldn't dream of tapping to strikes and that's the mentality that gets them to the top.

3. Juventud Brown Belt

Juventud
    Lesnar deserves more credit for taking bombs from Carwin, Overeem & Cain despite turtling up he never tapped.

4. unfinishable Green Belt

unfinishable
    So how did gsp get to the top?

5. Automata White Belt

Automata
    This isn't remotely true. Every time you get KO'd you suffer a bit of brain trauma. Literally the reason your lights go out is because you aren't fine anymore.

exHeavyHippie likes this.
  6. Lord Toranaga Brown Belt

Lord Toranaga
    Nah, I didn't call anyone a pussy. I said tapping to strikes is a Bitch move. Don't misquote me or put words in my mouth. What does it say about you that you think any and all cage fighters are above reproach? It says you have no combat sports experience. You're the pussy, not the fighters.

7. Lord Toranaga Brown Belt

Lord Toranaga
    https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/...a-compliment-to-your-opponent-if-you-dont-tap
    I guess you know more than Renzo about martial arts code.

8. TheAmericanGazelle Purple Belt

TheAmericanGazelle
    It's interesting how armchair heroes are quick to bash over tapping to strikes, but rarely say anything about fighters exiting a fight by letting their opponent take an easy rear naked choke.

There are a lot of ways to "quit" in a fight without tapping.

9. unfinishable Green Belt

unfinishable
    Yea, like you put the Diaz brothers above reproach? I guess you just called yourself a pussy with no combat experience. There's not much difference in calling a fighter a pussy or a bitch for tapping to strikes, so i'll stand by my comment

10. Lord Toranaga Brown Belt

Lord Toranaga
    Once again stop misquoting me. I never called anyone a bitch and the only pussy is you. I said tapping to strikes is a "Bitch move." Learn to read.

11. unfinishable Green Belt

unfinishable
    Yea, cause "bitch move" means what exactly? Your just a pussy for not having the balls to say what you want to say and instead try to play with the words

12. 7437 Gold Belt

Yeah. But its pretty minor as long as you arent doing ot all the time.

13. ColeslawBJJ WBC Money Belt

ColeslawBJJ
    It's comedy gold, especially when it happens to a fighter you hate.

I hope Mighty Mouse taps out to strikes someday.

14. Squintz Brown Belt

Squintz
    Not everyone likes playing dead quite like Machida. He doesn't tap to a strike, strikes or the tightest of submissions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SmilinDesperado Black Belt

SmilinDesperado
    And what about Nog not tapping and getting his arm broke? Miesha doing the same with Rousey. Weidman taking that hellacious GnP from Rockhold. Where is Maynard's career now? Taking unnecessary damage IS stupid. Period.
    You named the times when taking a beating paid off, how about all of the times it doesn't?
    Shit might look cool when a guy goes into warrior mode, but it is absolutely retarded.

And they are PRIZE fighters. They are not warriors. They are not gladiators. They fight for a prize. You can't fight with a broken body. Winning a damn match is not worth your long term health. Fans and fighters need to stop with this fantasy thinking. When you're retired, you're going to regret all those times you were too dumb and too tough to know when you were beat.

16. IDGETKTFO Black Belt

IDGETKTFO
    Why is this a discussion? If you don't want to get punched in the face, then you don't belong in this sport, period.

17. I Am Legion Brown Belt

I Am Legion
    First of all I don't disagree. My point was that fighters don't often tap from Strikes and it isn't just bravado. My point was that their job is to win. When a choke or armbar is in deep, the fighter knows it's over. But forget just 3 I listed, TONS of fighters have weathered the storm from Strikes and gone on. That's the game.They chose this sport. It has never and never will be a safe choice. Do I think At various points Hendo or Shogun should have tapped? Ask them

18. SmilinDesperado Black Belt

SmilinDesperado
    Their job is not to win, it is to fight. It's a sport.
    With submissions, you pretty much know when you're done, but it's harder to tell with strikes. That is why guys hold on longer than they should. It only takes one well placed strike to clean your clock.
    It's not about whether or not a fighter CAN take it--it's if they should.
    When you're getting GnP in full mount, you still got 3 minutes on the clock, bloodied the fuck up like Weidman was, I don't see any shame in tapping to that.

At the very least, I'd like for the corner to have the ability to throw in the towel when necessary. Most guys are not going to give up when they should. JDS got himself beaten in to retardation.

19. kila2 Blue Belt

kila2
    Wow, reading some posts of you guys trying to preach about what a proffesional MMA fighter should or should not do, while getting beat up by another absolutely TOP level MMA fighter, is beyond ridiculous.

20. AnotherOldGuy Purple Belt

AnotherOldGuy
    And yet they tap to chokes and locks, which have far fewer long term consequences than strikes, so I don't think its the "no tap" mentality that gets them to the top, but the "keep coming back after setbacks" mentality.