Why is tapping to strikes considered a flaw?

Well if you know you can't escape a hold there is no shame in tapping, guys like Mark Hunt that would never dream of tapping to strikes in a million years have been submitted multiple times. Then you have guys like Bob Sapp.

Same is true for tapping to strikes. If you know you're going out anyway then there's no shame in tapping, and saving yourself extensive neurological damage that will have you spending the rest of your life like Muhammad Ali.

Actually it's not. Not tapping is showing respect to your opponent. It shows your opponent they defeated someone courageous and worthy of respect. I'll criticize people who tap too early to chokes, like Sarah Mcmann and Sage Northcutt. I wouldn't tap to those chokes during my first day as a white belt. So yeah, I'll criticize early tapping all I want. There is no excuse for tapping when someone is nowhere near the position needed to properly finish the submission. Besides "strep throat", right?

Yes it is, it's old martial arts code. And if someone is nowhere near the position needed to properly finish the submission then you of course don't recognize that you've lost and that has no bearing on what I said. Someone in training requiring me to actually choke him out every time is nothing but a nuisance as that just creates unnecessary delay in the training. Especially on your first day you won't do any exercise that's about anything but learning to get the most basic technique down.

I'm not sure why you're bringing in criticizing early tapping as that was not what was discussed. You were fine with all tapping except to strikes, and you brought reasons that I explained weren't correct or didn't provide accurate description of the situations.

It's not common because there are a lot of dumb fighters that share the "just bleed"/tapping is for pussies attitude.
Lol Shit makes no sense.
It's ok to tap to getting your arm pulled off, but NOT ok to stop your orbital socket or nose from breaking, or your brains from being beaten into pulp

Or what about a fighter that feels like he can recover and turn the tides? We do see that happen a lot. It's not a just bleed attitude ...I'm not talking about Cabbage or Tank. I'm talking Lesnar not giving in to Carwin. Or Mir not tapping when Lesnar aped him. Or Edgar Maynard, Silvia, Condition etc etc these aren't stupid fighters. They Chose to be fighters, and warriors.

Because beta cucks have to call other men who fight in cages beta cucks to feel better about the fact that they are not alpha pimps.

Other than when Palhares was fighting, it's rare to see submissions go on too long to the point where someone gets hurt. People tap out quick when they know their arm or leg is in danger, why should the brain not be more important than those? With tko's that went on way too long to be called, i could find plenty of them. That damage is also much harder to calculate.

It's almost like people who claim nutrasweet is the devil and will cause brain cancer but can't point to any verified peer reviewed study that agrees with them, where as there are a trillion studies that show sugar is bad for you.

I know that's a semi weak argument and that canadian lass just murdered an arm this past weekend but you get what i'm saying eh?

Of course captain obvious. My point was INSTINCT. When you tap from a choke it's because you can no longer breathe, air is cut off from your brain. You could die if the choke was held. You tap. I have fought for years....a tight choke is scary as fuck. Brain damage from Strikes takes time. You FEEL the tissue and bone damage. It hurts.....still most guys don't tap from Strikes.

That's not a valid excuse since if you're just going by survival instinct then that instinct shouldn't be to tap, it should be to keep fighting the choke. If you are in danger of someone killing you tapping won't do shit.

Brain damage can come from one punch. Hence why we have one punch KO's (secret knowledge: being concussed isn't good for you at all). You will of course not be likely to become a vegetable, but all punches add up and when you're already rocked is the most dangerous time to get hit again (hence why the boxing method of allowing a 10 count is pretty dangerous long term). Tapping to strikes will be a lot more beneficial to prevent long term health issues than tapping to chokes will be.

Another thing to remember is that in order to tap to strikes you need to be hurt but still stay so clear in your head that you still realize what's going on. A lot of the time the fighter is just completely dazed, or goes out completely, before a tap would be relevant. The issue is not so simple as to think that tapping was even an option in all cases.

I guess you've never trained in any full contact martial art. It doesn't hurt much to get punched in the head, it kind of numbs you unlike being hit to the body. Tapping to strikes to the head is more about trying to prevent brain damage, in addition to a later point I'll make, which is far more relevant than to tap because you can't handle the feeling of being choked (which is also a lesser thing to endure than real pain). I'd never be so pathetic that I'd criticize tapping to a choke anyway though. You know when you've been beaten and to acknowledge that by tapping is nothing but respect to the opponent.

Wft you bumbling about?

Punches n kicks don't hurt?

Don't try to act like an expert cause you took few mma classes n did some sparring at 20% with full gear on.

It doesn't compare to actually being in a real mma fights having your nose (like Rory) or eye (like kos) busted N then hit in that same spot over n over.

I'm mean you can try it on yourself if you're not convinced.

Wft you bumbling about?

Punches n kicks don't hurt?

Don't try to act like an expert cause you took few mma classes n did some sparring at 20% with full gear on.

It doesn't compare to actually being in a real mma fights having your nose (like Rory) or eye (like kos) busted N then hit in that same spot over n over.

I'm mean you can try it on yourself if you're not convinced.

Being hit in the head in the head generally doesn't hurt that much, no. I have plenty of competition experience in striking so I've been hit more than enough to know that. The adrenaline with the concussive effect dampens it, and you'll feel most of it after the fight. It's nowhere near as bad as it hurts to get hit bad to the body. Of course you don't need to take my word for it, plenty of professional fighters have stated the same.

Of course actually breaking something is a different matter but that's not what you tend to talk about when you talk about being hit in the head, that's an outlier and that should be obvious. It can't be that hard to follow the intent of such a simple conversation.

Doctors (in fact complete medical associations) will tell you the permanent damage from strikes is worse than from locks or chokes.

Forty years ago no one knew this, and your comment would have been considered true. Now we know better. But it always takes time for medical science (or science in general) to filter into public opinion.

If you are concerned about your long-term health, you should not be pursuing a career as an MMA fighter.

A fight is the most personal and intense combat sport there will ever be. You have to be all in or you shouldn't be in the game. If you start looking for a way out the second you get punched a few times instead of looking to grab onto your opponent so he can't punch you directly anymore, you're not all in.

Tapping to strikes is the prime evidence of someone who can dish it out but can't take it.

People consider it a lack of heart but it entirely depends on the situation. To say Shogun lacks heart because he tapped to strikes would be ridiculous. Bob Sapp on the other hand deserves no respect.

It's always a flaw to tap to strikes. That's what the fucking ref is in there for to stop the fight when it's over. Lol at all the pussies defending the act of tapping to strikes. This thread is pathetic.
The ref is there to stop a choke also, but they still tap. I guess you look down on them as well?
This is a fight to you but a career to the fighters

If you are concerned about your long-term health, you should not be pursuing a career as an MMA fighter.

A fight is the most personal and intense combat sport there will ever be. You have to be all in or you shouldn't be in the game. If you start looking for a way out the second you get punched a few times instead of looking to grab onto your opponent so he can't punch you directly anymore, you're not all in.

Tapping to strikes is the prime evidence of someone who can dish it out but can't take it.

Actually tapping to chokes and locks is even greater evidence, since they are less harmful in the long run than chokes or locks. So if what you say is true about tapping to strikes, its even more true for chokes and locks.

Mind, I'm not saying it true for any of them, just pointing out what medical science says - tapping to strikes is the easiest to justify.

Being hit in the head in the head generally doesn't hurt that much, no. I have plenty of competition experience in striking so I've been hit more than enough to know that. The adrenaline with the concussive effect dampens it, and you'll feel most of it after the fight. It's nowhere near as bad as it hurts to get hit bad to the body. Of course you don't need to take my word for it, plenty of professional fighters have stated the same.

Of course actually breaking something is a different matter but that's not what you tend to talk about when you talk about being hit in the head, that's an outlier and that should be obvious. It can't be that hard to follow the intent of such a simple conversation.

I'd say that tapping to strikes is about fighters feeling themselves blacking out rather than reacting to pain - as you say, the hits aren't painful in themselves, but just as you feel yourself blacking out from a choke you can feel yourself blacking out from strikes. In both cases the rational thing to do is to tap ... and the consequences to not tappling to strikes is worse than to not tapping to a choke.

NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER is my motto. I have this tatted on my inner left thigh right below my koogal sack. The meaning of getting it in that particular spot is in life, you never give up, never surrender, ALL BALLS OUT 24/7.

Don't live life as a person that crumbles at the first sign of adversity. Tapping is both giving up and surrendering.

Now I'n not going to go as far as calling tappers cowards, but I wouldn't disagree with that label for them either.

Here's the thing, and this is what I teach my students, don't put yourself in that situation where you will be tempted to tap out and you won't have any problems.

- Avoid letting people take your back and wrap their arm around your neck.
- Don't go sticking your head under peoples arm pits.
- Keep your head out of other mens crotches
- Don't let other men lay on top of you

Easy peasy. Fighting ain't hard if you ain't stupid.

Because it's holy Shogun. Tapping to strikes is a Bitch move no matter what your name is. This isnt an argument. If the damage you are recieving is so bad your corner should throw in the towel like Nick did for Nate against Josh Thomson. You think Nate would ever tap to strikes? Fuck no. Why? Because he thinks of himself as a Samurai. That's why.
That's why both nick and nate don't accept any fights now......real warriors huh?
What's pathetic is people like you calling fighters who get in a cage with other pro fighters and calling them pussies. What does that sat about you, you must be the biggest puss in the eorld

Visually, it's a b!tch move.

If you aren't knocked out and the ref isn't stopping it it doesn't look good.

If something is seriously injured or broken I say tap.

Otherwise...

The only question is whether TS is a GSP or Shogun fan or both.

NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER is my motto. I have this tatted on my inner left thigh right below my koogal sack. The meaning of getting it in that particular spot is in life, you never give up, never surrender, ALL BALLS OUT 24/7.

Don't live life as a person that crumbles at the first sign of adversity. Tapping is both giving up and surrendering.

Now I'n not going to go as far as calling tappers cowards, but I wouldn't disagree with that label for them either.

Here's the thing, and this is what I teach my students, don't put yourself in that situation where you will be tempted to tap out and you won't have any problems.

- Avoid letting people take your back and wrap their arm around your neck.
- Don't go sticking your head under peoples arm pits.
- Keep your head out of other mens crotches
- Don't let other men lay on top of you

Easy peasy. Fighting ain't hard if you ain't stupid.
But gsp came back from tapping to strikes and became one of the best ever and never lost after that. Where does your motto fit in this case?

Same is true for tapping to strikes. If you know you're going out anyway then there's no shame in tapping, and saving yourself extensive neurological damage that will have you spending the rest of your life like Muhammad Ali.

Lesnar could have easily tapped Vs carwin. He didn't n he ended up winning that fight.

Not tapping to strikes shows intestinal fortitude to overcome a tough situation.

When you're in a well locked sub by a high level sub artist, you're pretty much done.

Not tapping will either lead to broken limb or passing out. N you're not winning that fight.

On The other hand, not tapping to strikes could lead to the other guy punching himself out or losing position n letting you regain the upper hand.

Visually, it's a b!tch move.

If you aren't knocked out and the ref isn't stopping it it doesn't look good.

If something is seriously injured or broken I say tap.

Otherwise...

Yup. Don't think anybody would've had a problem if Michael chandler tapped after his knee was injured n he could no longer put pressure on it

Back