Why is Sherdog okay with tapping to submissions but not tapping to strikes?

But this is why I pointed out that Shogun tapped after Jones walked away and Joanna tapped out of exhaustion or dejection. It's not like they were mounted and eating giant bombs or stomps and soccer kicks as in PRIDE. Which, by the way, you SHOULD tap to as soon as possible.

I also said earlier that fighters shouldn't make these decisions based on what we find honorable or entertaining, since I and others don't have to live with the consequences.
shogun suffered a fractured orbital bone, as far is i heard.

Because according to Sherdoggers, fighters who have had quite enough of being punched hard in the face are pussies. The real tough guys are on the forum.

For me personally, I just think it has no real life correlation. You can't be getting your ass handed to you in a street fight and be like "yup, I've had enough" and tap so they'll stop hitting you. A submission is different because it can lead to disfigurement and no one wants that. In the end though it's the fighters choice, it's their body, their career and therefore ultimately their decision.
And a continual beating wont cause disfigurement? You didnt write this correctly.

They're the same thing. You assholes are just idiots who hide behind your keyboards.

Who gives a fuck if people here don’t like it they don’t have to live with the brain damage

Being in a position where all you can accomplish is CTE, years off your life and career is a good reason to tap to strikes. No need to be a macho to please people on Sherdog imo.

Funny. If you're worried about CTE, you have chosen the wrong job.

It is far better to just give up your back and get RNCd, or even just turtle.

Don't be a bitch and tap to strikes - try fighting back. Don't prove your'e someone who can dish it out but can't take it.

Last edited:
I personally don’t have a problem with it. All of you yammering on about how everyone that does are idiots who don’t know brain damage is a thing are completely missing the reasons they don’t like it.

When a pro fighter taps, they know something is up where there is no point in or it is too dangerous to continue. I won't hold it against them

Tap to submissions and there’s no shame but tapping to strikes and you’re on Sherdog’s shit list.
Great question
Simple answer : many have never sparred with strikes , so they dont know
Many have done bjj ( safer) so they know and have felt a submission

It's not just sherdog. It's the fighting community as a whole that look down on tapping to strikes. "No Mas" was way before sherdog came around and look at that. In the macho world of fighting tapping to strikes is seen as cowardly. Not saying it's right but that's how it's viewed.
no mas was quitting in the middle of a contest. boxers have the option to stay down to avoid further punishment. no mas was quitting. it's not comparable. plenty of boxers chose to not fight to get to their feet in time and don't get shit. they can even take a knee and not get shit. mma fighters have no such option.

It's all context.

Shogun seemingly tapped to strikes and was given very, very little minimal flack. Cause everybody loves Shogun (sounds like an E reality series about him and his family after he retires).

Joanna seemingly tapped to strikes and she was the butt of many, many jokes because people didn't like her pre-fight trash talk to Rose.

The same action but one was not worth mentioning and the other was a sign of cowardice and weakness. You can't have it both ways.

Tapping to strikes is not a problem at all in my opinion. To me it just means live to fight another day- who knows better than you when you can't come back from the beating you're taking and you are sustaining too much damage. Sometimes it's the more practical and responsible thing to no when to call it.

The thing is, the people who take absolute beatings and don't quite are rightly praised for their toughness so it ends up sort of backfiring because if someone who is getting wrecked and stays in there is praised, it almost implies that somebody in a similar situation who opts out of the fight should be criticized or derided.

And that's simply not the case.

For only the second time in nearly a decade I'm going to disagree with you here. You're one of the most logical posters on the board and you don't usually miss the intangibles, but I think there's a serious intangible difference between Shogun and Joanna.

You mention the difference but outside the context of the Shogun fight - sustained beatings. Shogun had taken a sustained beating since the bell rung to start the fight. Round after round a superior fighter beat on him like it was a sparring session with a rubber dummy. So, when he FINALLY tapped (and he did catch SOME flack for it) he was simply accepting what he, Jon, the crowd, the refs, the judges, Dana and the fans already knew. He had run headlong into a superior athlete/fighter.

Joanna on the other hand got dropped and hit a few times in the first.

One of them had taken a sustained mauling and the other lost her equilibrium and didn't like getting hit.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know the way I'm choosing to word this paints Joanna negatively, but I don't see it that way. I just see the difference. I'm cool with both cases, personally. There IS a difference, IMO, though.

But this is why I pointed out that Shogun tapped after Jones walked away and Joanna tapped out of exhaustion or dejection. It's not like they were mounted and eating giant bombs or stomps and soccer kicks as in PRIDE. Which, by the way, you SHOULD tap to as soon as possible.

I also said earlier that fighters shouldn't make these decisions based on what we find honorable or entertaining, since I and others don't have to live with the consequences.
shogun tapped because he was defenseless and knew he was completely vulnerable. he hadn't processed yet that jones was no longer a danger to him.

no mas was quitting in the middle of a contest. boxers have the option to stay down to avoid further punishment. no mas was quitting. it's not comparable. plenty of boxers chose to not fight to get to their feet in time and don't get shit. they can even take a knee and not get shit. mma fighters have no such option.

They do. They just turtle up and the ref stops it. Literally happens all the time.

You can't really improve your position when a submission is locked in , so tapping is just acknowledging that your opponent got the better of you. If you don't tap in that situation and your arm is broken ala Mir/Big Nog, Mir/Sylvia, Saku/Renzo etc then it's just a sign of poor sportsmanship on your part and you're probably deserving of a broken limb. Tapping to strikes differs though, if you're trapped in a crucifix I can understand or in a similar predicament to Barnett when he lost his vision and didn't want to be punted full force by Cro cop but tapping the way GSP did to Serra was just an easy out for a guy that severely underestimated his opponent. That kind of tapping to strikes I strongly disagree with, kudos to you if that's how you want to go out but I don't agree with it.

Totally agree. And it may not be important to some fighters, but being able to say that you never tapped to strikes in a fight is a huge feather in your cap for other fighters.

They do. They just turtle up and the ref stops it. Literally happens all the time.
turtling up still exposes you in ways taking a knee or not getting up doesn't. you still often take additional (sometimes significant) damage before the fight is stopped.

You can't really improve your position when a submission is locked in , so tapping is just acknowledging that your opponent got the better of you. If you don't tap in that situation and your arm is broken ala Mir/Big Nog, Mir/Sylvia, Saku/Renzo etc then it's just a sign of poor sportsmanship on your part and you're probably deserving of a broken limb. Tapping to strikes differs though, if you're trapped in a crucifix I can understand or in a similar predicament to Barnett when he lost his vision and didn't want to be punted full force by Cro cop but tapping the way GSP did to Serra was just an easy out for a guy that severely underestimated his opponent. That kind of tapping to strikes I strongly disagree with, kudos to you if that's how you want to go out but I don't agree with it.

You can't improve your position when you're blacking out from strikes.

In fact, its very similar to blacking out from being choked. I've been choked out a number of times in decades of judo. I've also slowly blacked out from hitting my head against the windshield in a car accident (in the days before air bags - pretty much the old Flintstone's cars). Its pretty much identical. Anyone who thinks its any easier to improve their position when blacking out from head blows compared to blacking out from a choke needs to experiment with both - I think they'll change their minds.

The biggest difference is medical - the long term consequences of being hit in the head when you're already blacking out from strikes is far worse than the consequences of not tapping to a choke and being revived. If you're going to go after GSP, his tapping to an arm bar against Hughes was medically far less necessary than his tapping to Serra; the worse that could happen against Hughes was that he was out of action for half a year, medical science can do wonders with broken limbs. The worst that could have happened with Serra is concussion symptoms that are with him every day of the life. Its not even close. If you're of the mind that tapping is bad, then tapping to Hughes was far worse than tapping to Serra. They're not even close to being in the same league - ask any doctor.

Last edited:
turtling up still exposes you in ways taking a knee or not getting up doesn't. you still often take additional (sometimes significant) damage before the fight is stopped.

It's not as risk free as not getting up in boxing but fighters still do it as a way to avoid further punishment and end the fight. Its impossible to compare. The only thing to say is that fighters look down on tapping to strikes. Rightly or wrongly.

Cause it’s a submission

It’s suppose to make you submit/quit

the sub is locked in, you’re stuck n there’s no way of escaping

So it’s either tap, snap or nap

Tapping to strikes means you just don’t like getting hit in the face n you don’t show the will to overcome adversity (very important characteristic for a fighter)

Now I know there’s gonna be idiots coming here like zombies with: cte... cte...

Well you’re getting into a profession where getting hit to the head happens a lot

If you’re concerned with cte, maybe you’re in wrong profession n should reconsider your career choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back