Why is Sherdog okay with tapping to submissions but not tapping to strikes?

I gotta say I respect the hell out of fighters who are smart enough to know their bested that night, and not get their head caved in from meaningless ground and pound.
Live to fight another day not die on your shield.

But also stubborn warriors are fun: Andre "chief" Roberts v Ron Waterman, I'll never forget that comback ko, that fight would be stopped 1000% of the time now.

Fighters know beforehand that they can get choked out too. If you're in a position where you can get your nose broken beyond repair a la Rory Macdonald, or where you're just in bottom position with your face getting pounded to dust, and you have no way of getting out, it's better to tap and save your brain health. Might be those last two strikes before the ref steps in that do the permanent damage.

I haven't seen anyone tap to strikes where he wasn't in bottom position and unable to get out. Ever been concussed?
Getting your nose broken beyond repair comes with the territory, Brandon Vera or Rich Franklin could tell you that, neither of them tapped from it. Big Foot was on top of both Hunt and Fedor for damn near a whole round and neither of them folded because of it. The only time I think it's okay to tap from strikes is if the strikes incapacitates you, broken rib, broken leg etc or if you're trapped in a crucifix after trying to get out. Like the rules say, if you can't intelligently defend yourself. Being rocked is no excuse to tap, work your way out of it.

Getting your nose broken beyond repair comes with the territory, Brandon Vera or Rich Franklin could tell you that, neither of them tapped from it. Big Foot was on top of both Hunt and Fedor for damn near a whole round and neither of them folded because of it. The only time I think it's okay to tap from strikes is if the strikes incapacitates you, broken rib, broken leg etc or if you're trapped in a crucifix after trying to get out. Like the rules say, if you can't intelligently defend yourself. Being rocked is no excuse to tap, work your way out of it.
Being in a position where all you can accomplish is CTE, years off your life and career is a good reason to tap to strikes. No need to be a macho to please people on Sherdog imo.

Being in a position where all you can accomplish is CTE, years off your life and career is a good reason to tap to strikes. No need to be a macho to please people on Sherdog imo.
It's sport filled with macho, alpha types though, so it's kind of expected they'd go out on their shields. CTE is no joke though so I get your sentiment and agree with you but only if you can't improve your position, otherwise you're probably just in the wrong sport to begin with. I think as the money increases we will start to see athletes who fight rather than fighters who are athletes so tapping to strikes might become very commonplace in the near future.

It's sport filled with macho, alpha types though, so it's kind of expected they'd go out on their shields. CTE is no joke though so I get your sentiment and agree with you but only if you can't improve your position, otherwise you're probably just in the wrong sport to begin with. I think as the money increases we will start to see athletes who fight rather than fighters who are athletes so tapping to strikes might become very commonplace in the near future.
Bob Sapp comes to mind.

Because most sherdoggers are fat couch badasses that would make Rua, GSP etc, shit in their pants, with a single glance.

They don't even tap when their heart gives out because they have to get up to pee in a bottle.

Last edited:
Usually it’s just a load of keyboard warriors talking out there arse with a false sense of machismo.
Tapping to strikes and tapping to a submission are the same thing, conceding defeat to avoid serious injury.
(Getting a prolonged beating is worse and more permanent than any broken limb or choke)

If you can tap to a submission you can still try and fight it off
Not necessarily, a rear-naked choke or armbar can be sunk in so much that you're screwed and will just get slept or have your limb broken regardless of what you do with your other hand. In some cases you can't block punches with your free hand either, but in a lot of the tapping to strikes instances, that's not what we see.

Probably because Sherdog is mostly insecure young men who mistakenly view admitting defeat as embarrassment. The only shame in losing to a superior opponent is not learning anything from it.
Great comment

Not necessarily, a rear-naked choke or armbar can be sunk in so much that you're screwed and will just get slept or have your limb broken regardless of what you do with your other hand. In some cases you can't block punches with your free hand either, but in a lot of the tapping to strikes instances, that's not what we see.
By your logic your still giving up if you don’t try to escape. A lot of the time when you half concussed and getting punched continually you can’t do anything either.
Your argument is full of holes

It's not just sherdog. It's the fighting community as a whole that look down on tapping to strikes. "No Mas" was way before sherdog came around and look at that. In the macho world of fighting tapping to strikes is seen as cowardly. Not saying it's right but that's how it's viewed.

You can't really improve your position when a submission is locked in , so tapping is just acknowledging that your opponent got the better of you. If you don't tap in that situation and your arm is broken ala Mir/Big Nog, Mir/Sylvia, Saku/Renzo etc then it's just a sign of poor sportsmanship on your part and you're probably deserving of a broken limb. Tapping to strikes differs though, if you're trapped in a crucifix I can understand or in a similar predicament to Barnett when he lost his vision and didn't want to be punted full force by Cro cop but tapping the way GSP did to Serra was just an easy out for a guy that severely underestimated his opponent. That kind of tapping to strikes I strongly disagree with, kudos to you if that's how you want to go out but I don't agree with it.
Are you remembering the GSP fight correct?
matt-serra_georges-st-pierre.gif

Serra is sitting on GSPs chest, full mount, raining down blows while GSP is half concussed. The only thing that happens if GSP doesn’t tap is he becomes unconscious.

It's not just sherdog. It's the fighting community as a whole that look down on tapping to strikes. "No Mas" was way before sherdog came around and look at that. In the macho world of fighting tapping to strikes is seen as cowardly. Not saying it's right but that's how it's viewed.
it’s not quite the same.
Duran gets shit for ‘no mas’ because he wasn’t unable to continue he was just getting outfought and decided he couldn’t win. And deprived the audience of the rest of the fight. Similar but not the same.

Last edited:
Go watch werdum vs vinny m
G-Assistir-luta-online-Vinny-Magalhaes-vs-Fabricio-Werdum-no-ADCC-2011.jpg

Locked in armbar vinny keeps fighting it and after about a whole minute escapes
Or watch people try to choke benson Henderson.
Most of the time fighters tap to strikes they are on the floor with the guy on top Getting unavoidably pounded.

tapping to strikes is the most embarrassing way to lose a fight.

the other fighter basically owns your soul for the remainder of your career.

/thread

Okay, but when he knockes you out he doesn't own your soul, great logic...please get your brain checked...

Go watch werdum vs vinny m
G-Assistir-luta-online-Vinny-Magalhaes-vs-Fabricio-Werdum-no-ADCC-2011.jpg

Locked in armbar vinny keeps fighting it and after about a whole minute escapes
Or watch people try to choke benson Henderson.
Most of the time fighters tap to strikes they are on the floor with the guy on top Getting unavoidably pounded.
You're far more likely to get your arm broken than to get out if you try to fight a fully sunk-in and extended armbar instead of just tapping, on the other hand, Shogun tapped to strikes after Jon Jones had already walked away, and Joanna, it seems, tapped out of exhaustion and dejection moreso than damage. Rose could barely even punch her without breaking the back of head rule in that position.

You're far more likely to get your arm broken than to get out if you try to fight a fully sunk-in and extended armbar instead of just tapping, on the other hand, Shogun tapped to strikes after Jon Jones had already walked away, and Joanna, it seems, tapped out of exhaustion and dejection moreso than damage. Rose could barely even punch her without breaking the back of head rule in that position.
Your far more likely to get CTE than to get out of being battered with strikes when you half concussed.
If you want to say tapping is never ok, fine, it’s moronic but consistent. At the moment your just displaying a massive double standard.
Tapping when you done is just that, be it sub or strike

Your far more likely to get CTE than to get out of being battered with strikes when you half concussed.
If you want to say tapping is never ok, fine, it’s moronic but consistent. At the moment your just displaying a massive double standard.
Tapping when you done is just that, be it sub or strike
But this is why I pointed out that Shogun tapped after Jones walked away and Joanna tapped out of exhaustion or dejection. It's not like they were mounted and eating giant bombs or stomps and soccer kicks as in PRIDE. Which, by the way, you SHOULD tap to as soon as possible.

I also said earlier that fighters shouldn't make these decisions based on what we find honorable or entertaining, since I and others don't have to live with the consequences.

Body shots that break ribs or leave you incapacitated are both understandable to me, if you tap out from those it's because you won't be in a position to defend yourself properly. This wasn't the case in say GSP/Serra though, GSP underestimated a guy and was getting his ass kicked so he chose to tap rather than fight back, those are the scenarios I have a problem with. Try for a sweep, try to hit a switch, lunge for a leg, do something if you're in a position to do something.
i understand where your coming from. if your paying to watch a fight you don't want to see someone give up just because the going gets tough.

Back