Why is Sherdog okay with tapping to submissions but not tapping to strikes?

Yup. The only thing more embarrassing is tapping to chokes and locks, since they have even less long term consequences. Ask any doctor.

Tapping to strikes is like tapping to a pit bull. Tapping to locks is like tapping to a lab. Tapping to chokes is like tapping to a chihuahua.
Keep lying to yourself.

Tapping to chokes and locks is normal, that’s what they teach you to do in training. Tapping to strikes is uncommon and is a cowards way out of a fight.

If you can tap to strikes, you can be trying to defend the strikes.

Same for chokes and locks. In all three cases your hope of escape is your opponent screwing up. If you're going to take a chance on that, the least risky is chokes since there are almost no long term consequences of getting it wrong, the next more risk is locks since you might have an arm injury that'll take you out of action for half a year, the most risky is strikes since getting punched in the head when you're already blacking out (which is when people tap to strikes) has consequences that last the rest of your life.

Doesn't anyone read on medical consequences of concussions vs being choked out or broken limbs? Half of Sherdog thinks concussions are less dangerous than chokes or broken limbs. Its forty years behind the times.

i think it's because people consider a fighter who is sustaining strikes still able to fight back. if they're not unconscious, they can still strike back. when you're in a submission, you cannot defend yourself. you are physically stuck. look at the recent joanna-exchamp vs. rose fight. joanna was still conscious even though she was getting blasted, and even had the wherewithal to tap because it was too painful. she could have continued, but she felt she had taken enough pain. gsp tapping to serra is another example. he was conscious, and rolled over and tapped.

if you're barely maintaining consciousness while being hit with strikes, that's something different because you physically can't strike back. your brain is already screwed up and isn't able to signal your body to strike back.

I don't blame them. Just sad the ref and corner let it get to that point

Keep lying to yourself.

Tapping to chokes and locks is normal, that’s what they teach you to do in training. Tapping to strikes is uncommon and is a cowards way out of a fight.
You’re the coward and youd tap in seconds.

Because most sherdoggers have never be ground n pounded or submitted so they think its pussy shit..but in reality if they were in those fights theyd tap too..no shame in admitting defeat only in not fighting in the first place..*cough* mcgregor *cough*

I am more impressed with fighters who tap then improve and avenge the losses than tough fighters who never tap but keep getting destroyed by top opponents.

You speaking from experience? Is that what your mommy taught you?
Again the idea that shogun was cowardly is just laughable and a pussy like you thinking you can actually judge that action from your own experiences has to be a joke. That you can’t see that is funny, as in look at that guy funny.

If someone has you in a submission in a street fight they can just as easily keep it locked in when you tap or say you've had enough; I've seen it happen, so that's not exactly a good example. And being repeatedly punched and kicked in the head can most certainly lead to disfigurement and much worse. If you're getting pounded into oblivion, you're all sorts of discombobulated to the point that you can't do much but continue taking shots while meagerly covering up, and you don't go unconscious, I don't see anything wrong in the slightest with tapping to strikes. Now if you're pulling a Sapp n' tap, and just tapping at the first sign of danger because you have a fight booked for next week and you want to be extra sure you don't get injured, THEN you're being a little biatch and not trying to fight through anything.

Haha the good old Sapp n' tap. Well done sir.

I trust a fighter to know when he is done. I don't need to see drawn out beat downs of a fighter who is clearly going to lose.

There's a difference.

One says "Stop. I'm about to lose consciousness." The other says "Stop. The pain is too much. Defending myself is not worth it."

There's a difference.

One says "Stop. I'm about to lose consciousness." The other says "Stop. The pain is too much. Defending myself is not worth it."

People tap to strikes when they're losing consciousness. Same for chokes. The only case in which people tap to pain is for locks, when they feel the ligaments and tendons stretching. And even in that case they're tapping not because of pain, but because of the risk of being out of action for half a year.

If pain was enough to make someone tap, then all those pressure holds from traditional martial arts (which are legal in MMA) would be used all the time. Everyone would be doing aikido and kung-fu. No one at the UFC level in MMA cares about pain. Going unconscious from a choke or strikes, or broken limbs is another matter.

Last edited:
Keep lying to yourself.

So where you work out they teach you to tap to things with relatively minor consequences (locks and chokes), but not to tap when you're losing consciousness to strikes?

Odd, in the MMA and boxing clubs I've seen they tell you to tap if you're blacking out from your training partner's punches. And then they'll explain to you and your training partner why you shouldn't be knocking each other out in sparring.

Tapping out to striking always means the same thing - you're losing consciousness. Its the same as chokes. Except the consequences for not tapping when you're going out to strikes is far worse, and lifelong, compared to not tapping when you're going out because of a choke. Look, read up on the medical science related to concussions vs being choked out/revived, you're just showing your complete lack of medical knowledge with ever comment.

Ask yourself: why are the British and Canadian medical associations trying to ban boxing and MMA, but have no problem with judo and BJJ if they thought chokes were worse than head blows.

People tap to strikes when they're losing consciousness. Same for chokes. The only case in which people tap to pain is for locks, when they feel the ligaments and tendons stretching. And even in that case they're tapping not because of pain, but because of the risk of being out of action for half a year.

If pain was enough to make someone tap, then all those pressure holds from traditional martial arts (which are legal in MMA) would be used all the time. Everyone would be doing aikido and kung-fu. No one at the UFC level in MMA cares about pain. Going unconscious from a choke or strikes, or broken limbs is another matter.
Pain is unquestionably enough to make people tap.

Pain is unquestionably enough to make people tap.

Not at high levels. It certainly isn't in high level judo, its not enough to make someone quit in high level wrestling, and I'd be surprised if it was in high level MMA. What makes high level competitors tap is the knowledge that they're being unavoidably damaged.

Now if you can show me examples of high level competitors tapping to things with no damage component - pressure points, that sort of thing, then I'll agree you're correct. But all I've seen is people tapping to things which are damaging them.

tapping to strikes is the most embarrassing way to lose a fight.

the other fighter basically owns your soul for the remainder of your career.

/thread
its not even close to the most embarrassing way, not even in a bob sapp context ...

theres "pussy" situations of people tapping to strikes((sapp and others)) and theres also "pussy" situations of people not fighting off submissions as a way out ((Rumble a few times)) but when someone is fucked up....theyre fucked up...theres no shame in tapping to anything if youre in a bad position and are done, its also a valid way to win

Back