Why is Sherdog okay with tapping to submissions but not tapping to strikes?

Because we are all fucking warriors who bang it out at McDonalds carparks all weekends.

So the point is to go on until you CAN'T defend? That mentality is stupid.
No fighter should make decisions with their health based on what I think, I'm a fan who doesn't have to live with the consequences. It just looks weak to me and I think the reason is that being aware enough to tap means you're able to defend.

As a relevant side note, I also hate when refs stop fights when both fighters are still standing.

Because Sherdog members would never tap to strikes.

gsp tapped to serra. I dont have a problem with it. live to fight another day.

gsp came back mugged koscheck and hughes and kneed serra while in side control till serras liver/kidney stopped filtering pasta.

then came back later and stopped one eye willy bisping.

not bad for a guy who tapped to strikes.

Because people will harp on some as long as it fits their narrative all while ignoring the exact same thing that doesn't. plus, sherdog has over 100,000 users who knows if its the same guys flip flopping.

If someone has you in a submission in a street fight they can just as easily keep it locked in when you tap or say you've had enough; I've seen it happen, so that's not exactly a good example. And being repeatedly punched and kicked in the head can most certainly lead to disfigurement and much worse. If you're getting pounded into oblivion, you're all sorts of discombobulated to the point that you can't do much but continue taking shots while meagerly covering up, and you don't go unconscious, I don't see anything wrong in the slightest with tapping to strikes. Now if you're pulling a Sapp n' tap, and just tapping at the first sign of danger because you have a fight booked for next week and you want to be extra sure you don't get injured, THEN you're being a little biatch and not trying to fight through anything.
You don't tap in street fights and yes both can lead to disfigurements but that's not my point. The ref is there to protect you in an MMA bout, it's common sense to tap to a submission in the cage especially after seeing a Mir or Palhares fight. Tapping to strikes on the other hand is just not being able to improve your position and not relying on the competency of the ref. If you get put in a submission in a street fight then that's a completely different ball game, whoever you're fighting isn't gonna stop breaking your limb because you've tapped, when they let go is completely at their discretion.

Sherdog is retarded. We're the butt of the jokes at every other forum.

Well, tapping to submissions can be shameful.

When it’s 85lbs girl like the one who tapped TS.

To be fair, the girl was at least tree times that size.

Because the demographics on Sherdog are skewed by the high number of mouth breathers.

When one taps to strikes, he should be stood up and forced to take 1 solid chin shot from the other fighter and the ref.

because sherdog is dumb? A man should know his own physical limits, it's his own health at risk not some fake tough guy on the forums.

It's all context.

Shogun seemingly tapped to strikes and was given very, very little minimal flack. Cause everybody loves Shogun (sounds like an E reality series about him and his family after he retires).

Joanna seemingly tapped to strikes and she was the butt of many, many jokes because people didn't like her pre-fight trash talk to Rose.

The same action but one was not worth mentioning and the other was a sign of cowardice and weakness. You can't have it both ways.

Tapping to strikes is not a problem at all in my opinion. To me it just means live to fight another day- who knows better than you when you can't come back from the beating you're taking and you are sustaining too much damage. Sometimes it's the more practical and responsible thing to no when to call it.

The thing is, the people who take absolute beatings and don't quite are rightly praised for their toughness so it ends up sort of backfiring because if someone who is getting wrecked and stays in there is praised, it almost implies that somebody in a similar situation who opts out of the fight should be criticized or derided.

And that's simply not the case.

Shogun also endured an ungodly amount of punishment over 3 rounds whereas Joanna took 15 punches in 2 minutes...

Tap to submissions and there’s no shame but tapping to strikes and you’re on Sherdog’s shit list.

Bro science says CTE has fewer long term consequences than being choked out or having your arm snapped.

Medical science disagrees, which is why a number of national medical associations (CMA, BMA) are trying to ban MMA and boxing but have no problem with BJJ or judo.

But lets face it, bro science beats medical science every day. Which is why, when you're in a serious car accident, half dead from blood loss and ruptured organs, you should have the ambulance take you to the nearest gym instead of a hospital - because why settle for doctors when you can have bro science?

Seriously, forty years ago no one knew much about concussions, so back then people assumed they weren't a problem. Now most of us know better, but some people don't - and they're the ones who think tapping to strikes is worse than tapping to chokes or locks.

tapping to strikes is the most embarrassing way to lose a fight.

the other fighter basically owns your soul for the remainder of your career.

/thread

Yup. The only thing more embarrassing is tapping to chokes and locks, since they have even less long term consequences. Ask any doctor.

Tapping to strikes is like tapping to a pit bull. Tapping to locks is like tapping to a lab. Tapping to chokes is like tapping to a chihuahua.

if you think that tapping to strikes is a bitch move, at least be consistent and criticize tapping to chokes

Sherdog is retarded. We're the butt of the jokes at every other forum.

Sherdog is sweet! Fuck all other forums!

GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back